Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1993 Eurovan - Hesitates, sputters, stalls while cruising
Forum Index -> Eurovan Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lou Jersey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 9:12 am    Post subject: 1993 Eurovan - Hesitates, sputters, stalls while cruising Reply with quote

Question for all of my fellow T4 masochists, as the title states, i have a 1993 eurovan, it is a 5 cylinder, 5spd. Recently while cruising on the highway - at appx 60-70mph, the van started shuttering/hesitating under acceleration, then if i messed with the accelerator, it would smooth back out to only have it occur intermittently for the next 45 minutes until it started running perfectly fine again.

Some additional details - it was raining lightly, i had fueled up about 45 minutes prior. No indicator lights flash or are lit.

Does this ring of a fuel issue (fuel filter?) or electrical issue? neither?

I welcome any opinions and advice.
MrPulldown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 10:32 am    Post subject: Re: 1993 Eurovan - Hesitates, sputters, stalls while cruising Reply with quote

It sounds like a mass air flow sensor (or what ever it is called) to me.

Make sure the sensor is clean, only clean with that special spray stuff. Is the air filter wet/damp?
smores
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 8:35 pm    Post subject: Re: 1993 Eurovan - Hesitates, sputters, stalls while cruising Reply with quote

93 doesn't have MAF. It's a MAP system which uses a intake temp and air pressure.

There is a throttle position sensor, but it's crude and only does idle and full throttle enrichment.

Check the vacuum line going to your Engine Control Module. it's over on the driver side by the battery. There's a vac hose coming out of it to the intake manifold. Make sure it's in good shape. Replace it if you have doubts. It's cheap.

Maybe the air pressure sensor going bad, and fiddling with the throttle changed it up a bit. But this is a much lower possibility.
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 1:53 am    Post subject: Re: 1993 Eurovan - Hesitates, sputters, stalls while cruising Reply with quote

What’s status on plugs, wires, and coil pack?
BatesEV
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 4:05 am    Post subject: Re: 1993 Eurovan - Hesitates, sputters, stalls while cruising Reply with quote

To me it sounds electrical. The ECM likes constant voltage and if the alternator or ECM relay can’t maintain that then a lot of things go wrong. With the rain part it also makes me think about a crack in the distributor cap. Is it new? Do you have the belly pan on? Common things to just change is ignition switch, ecm relay and fuel pump relay, and vacuum lines
daveelser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 11:07 am    Post subject: Re: 1993 Eurovan - Hesitates, sputters, stalls while cruising Reply with quote

What is the age of your fuel pump?

did you do a diagnostic using a VAG?

If you take a look at your spark plug wires at night you may see arcing...and if not...Spritzing them with a little water...a fine wide spray bottle, while idling...will show you blue arcing from your wires. An easy quick test to check off wires. Don't get zapped.
'91+ '93 Jetta
'78 Westy Riviera and '79 Westy Champagne
'90 + '91 Westy
93 Eurovan Weekender
93 Weekender ...currently. help!
Lou Jersey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 12:06 pm    Post subject: Re: 1993 Eurovan - Hesitates, sputters, stalls while cruising Reply with quote

Thank you all - going to get to some troubleshooting today - will get back to you.
daveelser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 9:14 am    Post subject: Re: 1993 Eurovan - Hesitates, sputters, stalls while cruising Reply with quote

Any updates?
'91+ '93 Jetta
'78 Westy Riviera and '79 Westy Champagne
'90 + '91 Westy
93 Eurovan Weekender
93 Weekender ...currently. help!
cocoablini
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 1:12 pm    Post subject: Re: 1993 Eurovan - Hesitates, sputters, stalls while cruising Reply with quote

Something similar happened to my truck. The driveshaft teeth were fragged and missing under acceleration or load and bucked
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Eurovan All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: