Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Replacing Front Rod Bushing - Gearshift
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
wagohn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 3:16 pm    Post subject: Replacing Front Rod Bushing - Gearshift Reply with quote

Hello,
Our bus finds all gear relatively easily but today I noticed the front nylon bushing is missing for the gearshift. I have researched and see topics on replacing this bush and all others on the rod. Is there a way to replace the bushing for just the pictured area without removing the rod? Seems that it would be doable to fit a bushing given the space available. Any ideas?
Thanks.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

cmonSTART
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 3:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Replacing Front Rod Bushing - Gearshift Reply with quote

You won't be able to cram the bushing in with the rod in place, and honestly it's so easy to do you shouldn't have to. On my 78 IIRC I just had to remove the shifter and then loosen a pinch bolt a couple feet back from there and the whole thing slides back. New bushing in and then reset everything.
wagohn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 3:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Replacing Front Rod Bushing - Gearshift Reply with quote

cmonSTART wrote:
You won't be able to cram the bushing in with the rod in place, and honestly it's so easy to do you shouldn't have to. On my 78 IIRC I just had to remove the shifter and then loosen a pinch bolt a couple feet back from there and the whole thing slides back. New bushing in and then reset everything.

Thanks. I watched a Youtube of the process and the guy snapped bolts etc. I was hoping to press a soft bushing in there and be done with it.
cmonSTART
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 3:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Replacing Front Rod Bushing - Gearshift Reply with quote

I tried it once - really doesn't work. Confused

Didn't for me anyway.
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 4:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Replacing Front Rod Bushing - Gearshift Reply with quote

You’ll spend more time agonizing over this than it will take to do the job

1) Remove the gear shifter
2) go aft about 3 feet and remove the grub screw
3) slide the forward shift rob forward to separate from the rear rod
4) snake the forward rod away from the bus
5) install the new forward bushing and lube it
6) clean up the forward shift rod/paint
7) slide the forward shift rod up into place.
Cool reinstall the grub screw
9) reinstall the gear shifter and adjust
10) before you do #9 clean and lube the shifter
11) adjust the gearshift per the book

You’ll find that your driving experience will be much better
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wagohn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 6:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Replacing Front Rod Bushing - Gearshift Reply with quote

Thanks all. I will wait until I have more time cycles to redo the full process as described.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 7:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Replacing Front Rod Bushing - Gearshift Reply with quote

When I lost the front bushing on the road, I took some plastic sheet, probably just a cut up oil or antifreeze jug and wrapped it around the rod, pushed it through the hole, and held it in place with zip ties. Lasted way longer than the previous low quality bushing had.
wagohn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 7:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Replacing Front Rod Bushing - Gearshift Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
When I lost the front bushing on the road, I took some plastic sheet, probably just a cut up oil or antifreeze jug and wrapped it around the rod, pushed it through the hole, and held it in place with zip ties. Lasted way longer than the previous low quality bushing had.

Now we're talking. I just want a MacGyver quick fix until I get to doing the full deal. Thanks!
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 7:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Replacing Front Rod Bushing - Gearshift Reply with quote

wagohn wrote:
Wildthings wrote:

Now we're talking. I just want a MacGyver quick fix until I get to doing the full deal. Thanks!

I used several wraps of the plastic to get the thickness about right and it was a PITA getting the zip ties on, but I didn't have to wait days for parts to arrive.
rottenkid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 2:05 am    Post subject: Re: Replacing Front Rod Bushing - Gearshift Reply with quote

I read one where that you can use plywood for a bushing. You attach it to the front side and the plywood should last for years. I can not find the site I viewed that on.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
LeeE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 4:59 am    Post subject: Re: Replacing Front Rod Bushing - Gearshift Reply with quote

for some reason the PO of my Bus hammered and bent the metal around the bushing hole enough that a new bushing would not stay in place.
I used a short piece of thick-wall PVC pipe, same ID as the OD of the shift rod, and held it in place with a hose clamp on each side of the hole. It's been there for over 12 years, works fine.
wagohn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 7:18 am    Post subject: Re: Replacing Front Rod Bushing - Gearshift Reply with quote

Thanks all. Smile
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 9:37 am    Post subject: Re: Replacing Front Rod Bushing - Gearshift Reply with quote

LeeE wrote:
for some reason the PO of my Bus hammered and bent the metal around the bushing hole enough that a new bushing would not stay in place.
I used a short piece of thick-wall PVC pipe, same ID as the OD of the shift rod, and held it in place with a hose clamp on each side of the hole. It's been there for over 12 years, works fine.

I had thought about doing this, glad it worked for you. A PVC electrical box adapter combined with a cut off part of a PVC coupling seems like it would make a first class bushing.
onehappykombi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2023 2:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Replacing Front Rod Bushing - Gearshift Reply with quote

aeromech wrote:
You’ll spend more time agonizing over this than it will take to do the job

1) Remove the gear shifter
2) go aft about 3 feet and remove the grub screw
3) slide the forward shift rob forward to separate from the rear rod
4) snake the forward rod away from the bus
5) install the new forward bushing and lube it
6) clean up the forward shift rod/paint
7) slide the forward shift rod up into place.
Cool reinstall the grub screw
9) reinstall the gear shifter and adjust
10) before you do #9 clean and lube the shifter
11) adjust the gearshift per the book

You’ll find that your driving experience will be much better

I followed these steps on my 69 Bus and now with everything in place the shifter feels stuck and wont go into any gear

I tried the new bushing on its own and it would slide properly on the pin, but when installed in the rod it’s too stiff

Any suggestions?

Thank you!

Overlanding the USA
Camper special engine build
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2023 3:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Replacing Front Rod Bushing - Gearshift Reply with quote

Of course you understand that the OP has the later style shift rod with a different bushing than yours.

So, let me ask. Did you remove the old bushing from the tip of your shift rod and then install the new bushing in its place?

Before you install and tighten the grub screw that connects the front and rear shift rods were you able to slide the forward rod forward and aft on the pin?
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW Jetta
VW Passat
onehappykombi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2023 6:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Replacing Front Rod Bushing - Gearshift Reply with quote

aeromech wrote:
Of course you understand that the OP has the later style shift rod with a different bushing than yours.

So, let me ask. Did you remove the old bushing from the tip of your shift rod and then install the new bushing in its place?

Before you install and tighten the grub screw that connects the front and rear shift rods were you able to slide the forward rod forward and aft on the pin?

Yes I know its a different rod but I didn’t want to create a new thread

Yes I removed the old bushing and installed the new one in it’s place

No, I wasn’t able to move the rod forward and aft, it was very tight so I tapped the rod in with a rubber mallet to help it get in.

The un-installed bushing fit perfect but I guess it gets some crush when installed.

I though the leverage of the shifter lever would be enough to move back and forth but it’s completely stuck.

The end of the shifter lever is sitting properly in the “pipe” of the rod

Thank you as always !

Overlanding the USA
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2023 6:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Replacing Front Rod Bushing - Gearshift Reply with quote

Are you sure you installed the correct bushing? I’ve done this several times and never had a problem

https://socalautoparts.com/product/shift-rod-bushing-bus-front-of-front-shift-rod-2/
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW Jetta
VW Passat
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2023 6:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Replacing Front Rod Bushing - Gearshift Reply with quote

On early bays, the bushing has some small “teeth” that need to clip in to ensure complete installation. Often the old bushing comes out in pieces, leaving dirt or small pieces of the old bushing behind. If you don’t get the old bushing 100% out, it could cause the new bushing to jam.

New bushings also come with some much casting flash on them, called sprue in the plastics world, that they must be trimmed/sanded down to fit inside the tube well. Even a properly made bushing still takes some force to install. I typically put the bushing on a clean smooth section of concrete, and set the rod on top. One good boo with a rubber mallet on the shift rod should set it just fine.

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
onehappykombi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2023 6:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Replacing Front Rod Bushing - Gearshift Reply with quote

airschooled wrote:
Often the old bushing comes out in pieces, leaving dirt or small pieces of the old bushing behind. If you don’t get the old bushing 100% out, it could cause the new bushing to jam.

Robbie

Aha! The old one broke and fell into the inside of the rod. I couldn’t get it out but assumed it was fine and stuck further in.

I will figure out how to get the new one back out and then clean the inside of the rod.

Thank you!

Overlanding the USA
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2023 7:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Replacing Front Rod Bushing - Gearshift Reply with quote

That will be difficult without destroying your new bushing. Might try using a drill bit to ream the hole
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: