Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Cost of window tint?
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
whafalia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2021 5:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Cost of window tint? Reply with quote

The outer wall of the westy cabinet can be knocked out easy enough, allowing more access for the tinter. We mostly keep blankets and soft stuff in there so if anything more room and with a dark enough tint one can't see in the closet from outside.
bluehair62
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2021 8:10 am    Post subject: Re: Cost of window tint? Reply with quote

ledogboy wrote:
joyfulpursuit wrote:
This is an excellent question. I've been wondering the same, especially considering that you have to go windows out if you have a Westfalia closet...

No, you don’t. My tint guy was able to do the job with the closet in situ- not all will be so capable, but it is possible.

Thanks for this…. I am heading today to get my 1987 Westy windows tinted. I feel like the window tinting guys are so good at what they do, they should be able to navigate the closet area. Thanks…. I will make sure this get done windows in now.

PEACE
JJfierce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2021 10:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Cost of window tint? Reply with quote

Just wanted to give an update - after a few different quotes I found a shop that did it for $900. This was with high quality ceramic tint and they offered a life time warranty against any bubbles or fading. They did a great job and after having it for 3 months in the SoCal summer heat I think it was worth every penny!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cdub!
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2021 10:30 am    Post subject: Re: Cost of window tint? Reply with quote

JJ can you provide details for the vendor for anyone else wanting to follow suit in SoCal?
JJfierce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2021 12:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Cost of window tint? Reply with quote

Mr Tint
28822 Old Town Front St #106, Temecula, CA
(951) 695-5536
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mateo83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2021 12:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Cost of window tint? Reply with quote

I don’t know about a Vanagon but I paid $400 at a shop for all rear windows 5% & 15 on the fronts & panoramic sunroof on my Audi SQ5
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2023 9:17 am    Post subject: Re: Cost of window tint? Reply with quote

Can you buy window tint in rolls, in person, in a big city like Seattle?
I'd like to look at it first.
Also gotta decide on the %.
Thinking about gold tint on a gold tintop.... but not sure about the 'fader" style.

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
do.dah
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2023 9:26 am    Post subject: Re: Cost of window tint? Reply with quote

Sodo wrote:
Can you buy window tint in rolls, in person, in a big city like Seattle?
I'd like to look at it first.
Also gotta decide on the %.
Thinking about gold tint on a gold tintop.... but not sure about the 'fader" style.

TAP Plastic,, at least pre-pandemic.
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2023 2:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Cost of window tint? Reply with quote

Thx, I called.
TAP (Laird plastics, Renton) can order the film but they don’t stock it.
Its hard to search for the film, cuz all u get is installers.

I called Gila Films technical hotline (1-800-528-4481, Eastman films) who said “call us anytime 24/7”.
Gila said HomeDepot & Ace have residential in stock.
Autozone Oreilly and Napa have Automotive tint in stock.
Said not to use residential on automotive windows (some legal reasons and the glass is different. Some residential windows have coatings etc. )

Said there are static cling films for automotive.
Has anyone tried static cling?

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2023 3:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Cost of window tint? Reply with quote

I have a static cling on my rear window..
it's a big decal.. it's vinyl so don't go getting aggressive (chemically or physically) cleaning it and it's not as optically clear as a film.

but I tossed it up there in a campground and it keeps the heat out of the back where the dog liked to be.. no more baked potato
I also added a rear cling overlay on the outside... to further reduce solar gains.
that has it's own myriad of considerations...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Crankey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2023 7:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Cost of window tint? Reply with quote

I've had Gila film, it starts grey and turned purple.
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2023 8:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Cost of window tint? Reply with quote

Crankey wrote:
I've had Gila film, it starts grey and turned purple.

Ugh. Whatever film turns to purple it's terribly ugly. 25 years ago I bought a Vanagon with purple window tint. I didn't like it. One morning waking up in the lower bed (head to the tailgate as it was meant to be Wink) I started scratching it and discovered it came off with the morning condensation fairly easily. By the end of the day all the purple window tint was gone. One of the best camping activities that year.

Static vinyl seems like it could be a poor man's 3M ceramic tint to prove the concept or use only in summer when it's needed. It's relatively inexpensive and easy to apply and remove. Maybe even better than aluminum foil and double-stick tape. Not as attractive as a pro-job but far less expensive.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2023 8:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Cost of window tint? Reply with quote

I have peeled off 'purple' tint from a pickup that I bought.
It was 'scratched' enough to impede vision on humid days.
It was no fun getting it off.

I'm not a "tinter" anyway.
I like to see the real world in it real colors.
Sunsets, sunrises.

But I have 'requests' if ya know what I mean by 'requests'.
For this summer, in the desert.
Soon.
The static cling appeals more to me, if it's nice and clear and behaves.

jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2023 9:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Cost of window tint? Reply with quote

^^^I also bought a pickup with bad tinting on it. The youtube showed me that a heat gun and a good plastic scraper helped remove tint easily, say 5-10 minutes per window max.

Are the requests for summer comfort driving down the road and in camp in the afternoon? Then static vinyl - if it significantly cuts down on heat gain inside - may be the perfect answer because it can be easily removed for the evening sunset and morning light.

I dislike a dark van interior but I also dislike the heat of the sun (I understand that this is the IR that needs to be blocked and ceramic tint does this) on me as I drive.

I don't want a dark window tint blocking this...
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Ot this...
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
Crankey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2023 9:03 am    Post subject: Re: Cost of window tint? Reply with quote

Sodo wrote:
I have peeled off 'purple' tint from a pickup that I bought.
It was 'scratched' enough to impede vision on humid days.
It was no fun getting it off.

I'm not a "tinter" anyway.
I like to see the real world in it real colors.
Sunsets, sunrises.

But I have 'requests' if ya know what I mean by 'requests'.
For this summer, in the desert.
Soon.
The static cling appeals more to me, if it's nice and clear and behaves.

I bought Gila film either at Fred Meyer or flaps and put it on my rear windows.
Peeled when it turned purple, I got a door glass done pretty easy but the rear glass was a pain and shredded as I went.
I got the fancy ceramic off eBay...it seemed different to use but Iay have been scammed cause I can't see any logos on the backer sheet saying 3M .
I got my rear sliders done but haven't installed them, so I don't know if it's legit film since it's not been in the sun.

I'm real interested in the static cling removable stuff. But it's all very low priority now.
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2023 9:58 am    Post subject: Re: Cost of window tint? Reply with quote

jimf909 wrote:
I dislike a dark van interior but I also dislike the heat of the sun (I understand that this is the IR that needs to be blocked and ceramic tint does this) on me as I drive.

Clear ceramic. And, yes, it does work. But it's not inexpensive.

In answer to the topic title: I recently had the 30-year-old purple crap removed (4 windows*... sliding door tint I was able to remove, front doors didn't have tint) and had all windows 3M tinted (not dark, not light... medium stuff), plus clear ceramic on windshield. Total cost -- removal, re-tint, and new tint at the front -- came to around $1000 and took the shop 2 days.

*Tint is actually two layers. The old purple tint layer peeled off without issue; the clear underlayment was stuck to my van's glass like, well, glue... I didn't have the patience to deal with it on the remaining windows, thus had a pro do it.
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
markswagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2023 12:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Cost of window tint? Reply with quote

for anyone else is san diego, there's a place in chula vista that does a good job, l don't remember the name, but can find if asked.
l have an exchange set of glass, so it can be tinted, then have a window guy come along and swap out fresh tinted glass for what was in there.
so there's no time when the van doesn't have glass in it, as the tint guy is busy, so the glass is usually with him a week or two.

619 201 0310
Crankey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2023 12:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Cost of window tint? Reply with quote

I read that to remove tint you can bag the glass with cut pieces of garbage bags taped to the glass, then flood inside there with ammonia. Helps to do it outside in the hot sun. I did this and it helped a lot.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: