Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Rebuild at what level of oil consumption
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
JEL91Westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 5:47 pm    Post subject: Rebuild at what level of oil consumption Reply with quote

My 1990 Westy runs okay, but has felt down on power lately and is now burning a quart of oil every 500mi. My question is at what point does oil consumption equal rebuild time.
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 5:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Rebuild at what level of oil consumption Reply with quote

as my father would say... "Oil is cheap"

'87 Westy & '89 Westy both 2.1 4spd

Past projects can be found at--
www.thefixitworkshop.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
fxr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 5:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Rebuild at what level of oil consumption Reply with quote

I did the Subie swap when I got to 1 qt every 250 miles - basically every gas fill-up. That was about 1000 miles after it went to 1 qt every 500 miles. No drips - all being burnt.
Howesight
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 6:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Rebuild at what level of oil consumption Reply with quote

JEL91Westy wrote:
My 1990 Westy runs okay, but has felt down on power lately and is now burning a quart of oil every 500mi. My question is at what point does oil consumption equal rebuild time.

Before going whole hog on a rebuild, it might be a good idea to replace your breather tower which acts as the PCV valve in the WBX engine. If you rebuild, you should replace it anyway, so replacing it now as a diagnostic involves no net cost.

Another check you can do is to have a helper drive behind you in a separate vehicle and, while on speaker phone with you, observe for oil smoke. Driving down a steep, longish hill, alternately step on and release the accelerator pedal. With trailing throttle, if oil smoke comes out the tailpipe, then your valve guides are worn and require at least a cylinder head rebuild.

Now try driving up a hill. Drive at a steady pace while your observer observes. Now floor the accelerator. If blue oil smoke comes out the tailpipe, then the piston rings are the problem.

Here's one last-gasp approach if it appears that the rings are the problem:

Add Marvel Mystery Oil to you crankcase oil. A half-quart should work. The idea is to free up sticky oil control rings. This has worked for many. If it does not work for you, at least the innards will be cleaner when you rebuild!

By the way, have you checked compression on this engine?
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 7:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Rebuild at what level of oil consumption Reply with quote

The engine that was in my 83-1/2 $400 wonder when I bought it started out using a quart every 3-500 miles and slowly increased to a quart every 50-100 miles over the next 70,000 miles when the engine died from a freak incident that had nothing to do with the the oil use or much of anything else that could have been foreseen.

My wife followed me many times over the years or I followed her when she had the van and the engine never smoked unless we had been careless and badly overfilled the crankcase.
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 8:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Rebuild at what level of oil consumption Reply with quote

JEL91Westy wrote:

Has a compression and leak down test been done?

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
dabaron
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 8:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Rebuild at what level of oil consumption Reply with quote

Vanagon Nut wrote:
Has a compression and leak down test been done?

x2. and what is your under load at temp oil pressure looking like?

BiWerks Design, LLC
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: