Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

D+ and Exciter Wire
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
EbenDahl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 2:48 am    Post subject: D+ and Exciter Wire Reply with quote

I recently completed my busara conversion. I have a 2.5L H4 from a legacy in what was an 82" air-cooled camper. I am having trouble getting the d+ cable figured out. I have a seperate wire coming form my alternator to go to the d+ warning light. My only issue is I can't find the wire, and i am afraid of hooking it up to the wrong one.
I have an aftermarket hi-torque starter installed. The red power lines loop into one another and there is a light blue blue wire attached to it. I have a hunch this is my exciter wire. Do I splice into this wire and then make modifications to the wiring harness below the drivers seat? The warning light is illuminated and I recently had the car die on me. The alternator doesn't seem to be charging and from what I've read this is likely the issue.
I would take any suggestions. Thank you for your help guys.

Eben
EbenDahl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 2:53 am    Post subject: Re: D+ and Exciter Wire Reply with quote

I do have the auxiliary battery charger installed from gowesty. Is it possible i'm not getting any charge because the isolater isn't getting any voltage?
dgbeatty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 7:55 am    Post subject: Re: D+ and Exciter Wire Reply with quote

The short answer.
The original Bosch alternator supplies a small amount of D+61 positive current while running.
The Subaru alternator supplies a ground when not running but DOES NOT supply any positive current while running.
The easiest work around is a small voltage sensing relay such as a Rostra SourcePWR or SourcePWR Plus.

There's also a much much longer explanation and different work arounds.
BTW the exciter, blue wire, is a D+61 terminal.
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 7:59 am    Post subject: Re: D+ and Exciter Wire Reply with quote

You are saying you can't locate the chassis wire end in the engine compartment for the warning light?
EbenDahl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 3:12 pm    Post subject: Re: D+ and Exciter Wire Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Thanks for the help, as you can see I tied in the d+ wire from subaru alternator harness into the exciter wire. You can see how its wired up with the aftermarket starter. Now I have to figure out how to wire in the 5pin relay to get the charge light turned off in the dash.
EbenDahl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 3:14 pm    Post subject: Re: D+ and Exciter Wire Reply with quote

MarkWard wrote:
You are saying you can't locate the chassis wire end in the engine compartment for the warning light?

It's not so much I can't find the wire but, I've found 3 of the same wire. My electric diagram shows the wire as being blue/brown. I have three locations where I see that. One is right in front of the OE alternator , second is at the engine harness hook-up, and the other is right there at the back of the starter.

My conversion book tells me to put the d+ wire at the starter. I am just being very cautious.

Last edited by EbenDahl on Thu May 06, 2021 3:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
EbenDahl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 3:19 pm    Post subject: Re: D+ and Exciter Wire Reply with quote

Thanks so much for your help guys. It's a real life saver.
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 6:35 pm    Post subject: Re: D+ and Exciter Wire Reply with quote

I’d have to check the wiring, but the D+ does not go to the starter. If anything the camper relay under the drivers seat, might get a ground through the starter solenoid. The B+ can attach to the large starter solenoid stud that the battery cable connects to.

The only Subaru alternator wiring I troubleshot had 3 wires. Bat pos, key on pos, and the other was the indicator light.

Be careful connecting things you are not sure about. You can accidentally let the smoke out.
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 4:08 am    Post subject: Re: D+ and Exciter Wire Reply with quote

Get yourself 20 feet of wire and some alligator clips or spade connector and make connections to the other ends of the wire where they are connected to.
Run the 20 ft of wire back to your excitor wire and do some Continuity Checks to see which wire is which.
I say 20' of wire, but you can use any length that works for you since you can go over the bench seat to the instrument cluster.

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.
wesitarz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 6:14 am    Post subject: Re: D+ and Exciter Wire Reply with quote

How many wires/pic of your alternator plug. If two wires, one is sense - can go to pillar on alt and the other is to dash light. The dash light circuit has to be complete for the alt to charge.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: