Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Not much room
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
roadkingdoc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 5:42 am    Post subject: Not much room Reply with quote

I have a little gut not a big one! There isn't much room between the steering wheel and seat. Its a tight fit for me. Laughing Do I have the right seats for a 60 single cab? The seats were redone with ww padding. Wondering if I need to slim down the backrest? Thanks all
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 5:58 am    Post subject: Re: Not much room Reply with quote

with nothing to compare it to, i think that back rest looks HUUUGE.

Uli

----------------------------------------
'53 3-Fold Oval, L35 Metallic Blue, looking for a narrow hatch panel
Okie Adam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 6:14 am    Post subject: Re: Not much room Reply with quote

The seat does look a little overstuffed to me. Original seats didn't offer much comfort so often they are padded more than original when restored from what I have seen.
62 Single Cab
66 21window
67 so42
76 Westy
64 Karmann Ghia
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
peecee69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 7:30 am    Post subject: Re: Not much room Reply with quote

mandraks wrote:
with nothing to compare it to, i think that back rest looks HUUUGE.

x2
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
69aircooled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 7:45 am    Post subject: Re: Not much room Reply with quote

Well, those measurements aren’t far off.
I just measured my ‘62 single cab with the seat in the rearmost position.
Checking at the same positions I get 13” to the backrest and 9” to the seat bottom. My seat is a humpback so may be a bit different. Generally these busses don’t offer a lot of room.
roadkingdoc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 8:21 am    Post subject: Re: Not much room Reply with quote

thanks guys. I can either lose weight (not) or take some width out of backrest. Will skinny up backrest.
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 8:53 am    Post subject: Re: Not much room Reply with quote

Though I don't have experience to describe results- several people have taken the angular back rest support at the bottom and shortened it (cut it off and pushed it back 1-2". I don't have a link- but I know it's discussed in these forums. It's an easy way to gain a lot of middle bending room.

A buddy just did this to his '59 DC because although he says he isn't big in that area (yeah), and although he's about 6' (maybe) he just has spent too many years spoiled by his Ram truck seats.

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
teahead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 9:40 am    Post subject: Re: Not much room Reply with quote

Smaller steering wheel and get power steering from http://litesteer.com
crukab
Samba Chef

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 10:21 am    Post subject: Re: Not much room Reply with quote

I had the driver's seat redone on my '66 single, it took a while for the padding to "settle", my issue was I was sitting up to high, it is a single seat, not a bench...

My Pops:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=604100&highlight=
I know you will always be with me, rest in peace with no more pain. 8/13/14.....

In the yard right now:
'51 Dodge 5 window truck
'65 Bug
'66 Singlecab
'82 Rabbit Truck Diesel from CALI Smile
'86 Doublecab W/T
'91 Vanagon carat/wolfsbrg.Tiico
'88 Dodge Ram pickup
'11 Jetta Wagon
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 2:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Not much room Reply with quote

Okie Adam wrote:
The seat does look a little overstuffed to me. Original seats didn't offer much comfort so often they are padded more than original when restored from what I have seen.

Yes, back rest looks pretty thickkkk to me but maybe only 1-2" so unless that would help...

I have an original upholstery grey backrest if you want me to measure it...
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
roadkingdoc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2021 4:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Not much room Reply with quote

thanks Everett. I will just take some thickness out of it.
bobrk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2021 6:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Not much room Reply with quote

A PO did this to my 59 single cab.

1500 single port | 1963 small nut/big brake transaxle | CSP Disc Brakes | dual circuit m/c | Deutsch Polster seats
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: