Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

How much would you actually pay for a bus?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
HMVWNAB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 8:52 am    Post subject: How much would you actually pay for a bus? Reply with quote

Piggybacking on a previous topic, “what was the most you paid”, what is the actual dollar amount you would spend on a really nice, complete, doesn’t need much to be what you want bus?

I’m talking about real money you have and are willing to part with, not a “if I won the lottery” scenario.

Would you actually fork over thousands that you would normally have set aside for use on more urgent or necessary expenditures? Think
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 9:15 am    Post subject: Re: How much would you actually pay for a bus? Reply with quote

"a bus" leaves a lot to be imagined. I'd pay more for a split than a bay. I'd pay more for a kombi than a panel, etc the list could go on forever
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 10:58 am    Post subject: Re: How much would you actually pay for a bus? Reply with quote

Only an idiot would be willing to part with money for a Bus that has been set aside for more urgent or necessary expenditures.
HMVWNAB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 11:33 am    Post subject: Re: How much would you actually pay for a bus? Reply with quote

Busstom wrote:
Only an idiot would be willing to part with money for a Bus that has been set aside for more urgent or necessary expenditures.

Most things in life are more important than indulging your hobby, but if you had the funds and there were no other demands on your finances, how much would you be willing to spend?

Seems like most acquired their pride and joys before prices were outrageous. Nowadays, as it has been pointed out here, a nice bus is major coin.

So, you want a nice bus and the market is on the high side, how far are you willing to go?

How many regular Joes are going to spend north of, say, 25K?

Or does Fluffy just buy them all?
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 11:51 am    Post subject: Re: How much would you actually pay for a bus? Reply with quote

HMVWNAB wrote:
Busstom wrote:

Most things in life are more important than indulging your hobby, but if you had the funds and there were no other demands on your finances, how much would you be willing to spend?

Seems like most acquired their pride and joys before prices were outrageous. Nowadays, as it has been pointed out here, a nice bus is major coin.

So, you want a nice bus and the market is on the high side, how far are you willing to go?

I imagine a lot of guys trade up.
I’ve never paid more than $12k for a bus and that was for a 21 window turd project.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1963 stretched double cab
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
1967 21 window less rusty now
1973 Ghia convertible
peecee69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 12:37 pm    Post subject: Re: How much would you actually pay for a bus? Reply with quote

HMVWNAB wrote:

I think Fluffy buys all the nice ones, and Robert Skinner buys all the restoration candidates. It would be neat to see a show (like Graveyard Carz) based completely on restoring buses.

Back on topic. I'd probably spend $45k on the right bus.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 2:28 pm    Post subject: Re: How much would you actually pay for a bus? Reply with quote

Braukuche wrote:
I imagine a lot of guys trade up.
I’ve never paid more than $12k for a bus and that was for a 21 window turd project.

This was my first thought too.

My 15-Window was top dollar when I bought it but it was free after profits from other Buses I sold.

I have paid A LOT for a couple Buses but all of them are worth more now so... whatever.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ZENVWDRIVER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 2:40 pm    Post subject: Re: How much would you actually pay for a bus? Reply with quote

We bought our 1960 SC in 1995 for $350 - our 1960 23 deluxe in 1997 for splitting 5 cords of oak and our 1962 SO33 in 2007 for $50 - I might go a grand now-a-daze - just depends - z

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

11/4/52, black Zwitter - SOLD to my little bro.
1954 Porsche, pre A, with VW 36 horse- SOLD
1/54, black 11C Beetle - TRADED
2/55 Iceland green Beetle, on a 1965 pan
3/55 113 Beetle, stratos silver
1955 Messerschmitt KR175 - SOLD, sadly
1960 single cab
1962 SO33, with SO 42 interior
9/63 Pacific blue, Ghia
'87 Toyota MR2
'02 WestFORDia E-150, GAVE TO OUR SON

All super-heroes, wear a MASK
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
NUTSFORBUSES
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 2:52 pm    Post subject: Re: How much would you actually pay for a bus? Reply with quote

It depends on"THAT PERSON"
Disposable income dictates everything.

What I have seen is buying a bus for the wrong reasons..
If you buy for the "cool" aspect, you should not make a purchase b/c trouble comes, and/or you find that these things are Not like a modern car. If you cannot work on them, finding someone good is not so easy.

I just get "happy" when I drive the Bus, but I've had them since the 70's

The days (I remember) parking at the beach, pulling off the boards and surfing. That is Gone b/c the odds your bus is gone too when your done.
I would never leave it unattended

Most are slow (not mine), but w/o upgrades, motor, brakes, everything, you'll have trouble no matter what.

Lots of guys "today" are paying 35K and up for "OK" restores-with a shitload of future issues b/c of lack of experience owning them, or someone putting lipstick on a pig.
I traded up to my 21 w several in between, and I am now probably north of 70k w my mods & trades, but for me I enjoy it and like the work, and nothing looks and feels like a split. So IF I actually had the $, I would spend about 70K, but it won't happen since my first was $800. <SO42 walk thru
If you rely on someone to maintain it/fix it, you will drown. This new era of owning a vintage car/Bus should only be in the hands of "car guys"-unless you are rich.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
earlywesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 4:49 pm    Post subject: Re: How much would you actually pay for a bus? Reply with quote

I would and have paid A LOT for special buses. Not your run of the mill stuff but special/rare models. I have also been doing this long enough that i have paid peanuts for similar or even better quality buses years ago. At the end of the day I like many others have 'upgraded' over the years to get what i have now. It is the only way I can afford higher calibre buses these days.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 6:09 pm    Post subject: Re: How much would you actually pay for a bus? Reply with quote

HMVWNAB wrote:
Busstom wrote:

There it is, that's my magic number...$25K (but ideally, no more than 20). Wink
WildIdea
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 7:59 pm    Post subject: Re: How much would you actually pay for a bus? Reply with quote

I love this topic when it pops up. Reminds me of when I was a kid as a local during the Sturgis bike rally in SD. I was awestruck and mesmerized by all the sick choppers and was committed to getting one myself some day and set out to do just that. Still......

No one ever needs a bike. It's probably never a good look on a retirement spreadsheet and probably always pencils out as a financial mistake, yet 500k people show up every year at the Rally.

Same with Buses. They're a luxury. Gotta pay to play with toys. If one is fortunate to have the bases covered and looking for a way to get rid of some money, then a bus is a damn fine place to do it, but you have to yearn for it. Really, really desire one on several levels past cost. I'm convinced that care and feeding for a bus is an high honor and for the few who get to enjoy them up close, enriches their lives.

Could be anything, could be a boat, could be a razor, but when your dead, that's it. You gotta love buses enough to be ok with dirty crooked fingers, covered in grease and huff cut off wheels before firing the cannon on one makes sense.
1960 211 Panel American Camper Conversion
Rhodrich
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 12:51 am    Post subject: Re: How much would you actually pay for a bus? Reply with quote

Most, if not all of the VW's I've bought over the years have been free. OK - so I've had to put a 'deposit' down to secure them, but I've always got that 'deposit' back (plus quite often more) when I came to sell. With a modern car, the 'cost' of that car is depreciation. You spend the money, and a couple of years later, it's worth a fraction of what you spent, and you don't get your 'deposit' back.

As far as I'm concerned, I could have the money sitting in a bank account earning nothing, or I could have it sitting on my driveway, with the opportunity to drive a great car or bus in the meantime.

Now the only concern is when this pattern starts to turn. When the restrictions on dino-fuel cars becomes so great that nobody wants them any longer. That time is sooner than we think. It might seem counter intuitive, but when prices start to fall, that's when things get expensive, when you no longer can expect to get your money back when you come to sell.
widehatch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 5:58 am    Post subject: Re: How much would you actually pay for a bus? Reply with quote

asking someone how much they paid for their bus is like asking a woman how much she weighs. you dont ask. you wait until they let it slip out one day.
HMVWNAB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 6:19 am    Post subject: Re: How much would you actually pay for a bus? Reply with quote

widehatch wrote:
asking someone how much they paid for their bus is like asking a woman how much she weighs. you dont ask. you wait until they let it slip out one day.

Wasn’t trying to pry, more of a hypothetical inquiry.

Personally, I always said to myself I wouldn’t spend X amount even if I had X amount.
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 6:29 am    Post subject: Re: How much would you actually pay for a bus? Reply with quote

widehatch wrote:

True that.

And if you are ever asked to guess weight or age, the correct answer is to change the subject and leave the room.
VWoA literature and early dealership or distributor literature/pictures/information
aa390392
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 6:34 am    Post subject: Re: How much would you actually pay for a bus? Reply with quote

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ like^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

55 ragtop
56 delux sedan
56 Kabriolet
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 7:02 am    Post subject: Re: How much would you actually pay for a bus? Reply with quote

Rhodrich wrote:
Most, if not all of the VW's I've bought over the years have been free. OK - so I've had to put a 'deposit' down to secure them, but I've always got that 'deposit' back (plus quite often more) when I came to sell. With a modern car, the 'cost' of that car is depreciation. You spend the money, and a couple of years later, it's worth a fraction of what you spent, and you don't get your 'deposit' back.

As far as I'm concerned, I could have the money sitting in a bank account earning nothing, or I could have it sitting on my driveway, with the opportunity to drive a great car or bus in the meantime.

Now the only concern is when this pattern starts to turn. When the restrictions on dino-fuel cars becomes so great that nobody wants them any longer. That time is sooner than we think. It might seem counter intuitive, but when prices start to fall, that's when things get expensive, when you no longer can expect to get your money back when you come to sell.

The day they ban Dino fuel is the day some smart guy develops an affordable electric conversion kit. Old timers like myself might blanch at the idea but younger people who are starting to grow up with them will see it as a preferable and natural upgrade. If anything it will likely raise the values because hardly anyone knows how to work on the engines and transmissions anymore preventing a lot of people from buying ICE powered buses.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1963 stretched double cab
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
1967 21 window less rusty now
1973 Ghia convertible
volksaddict
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 7:02 am    Post subject: Re: How much would you actually pay for a bus? Reply with quote

Quote:

Or asking a farmer how many cows or acres he has.
Douglas Denlinger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 8:46 am    Post subject: Re: How much would you actually pay for a bus? Reply with quote

Rhodrich wrote:

Just did this with a Eurovan....never thought I'd see the day. Owed it for 5 years, traveled all over the west coast, Arizona, Utah, New Mexico, Colorado and Wyoming.Could I do it with my 2005 F-150 with 200K miles....never, well maybe there is a chip shortage> Very Happy It really comes down to how good a steward (caretaker) you are of a vehicle.
How much am I wiling to spend? Lots depending on many factors, the main consideration is will it appreciate rather then depreciate over time, unconventional thinking.

Active 23 Window Samba Collector/Restorer,since 1986
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: