Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Common candidates for fuel smell
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
avoll
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2021 9:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Common candidates for fuel smell Reply with quote

jtauxe wrote:
I'm putting my money on a cracked filler neck.

I 2nd the filler neck.
I had same issue, and replaced filler neck and no more gas smell.
You can open up the paint lid to get to the filler neck.
I had to drop the engine to remove the firewall, If I remember there's couple hard to get to screws. Can't fully remember, and i'm by far no expert. But pretty sure the engine needs dropped to remove the gas tank. At least thats how I did it.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2021 10:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Common candidates for fuel smell Reply with quote

There are two screws underneath on each side that need to come out, IIRC. The firewall has a tacky foam strip between it and the body, so even with the screws all removed it can take some prying to get it to come free.

Last edited by Wildthings on Mon May 10, 2021 9:16 am; edited 1 time in total
mfemenel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 1:14 am    Post subject: Re: Common candidates for fuel smell Reply with quote

ok last question (tell me if I'm being lazy). Is it possible just to pull the old neck off and put a new one on without pulling the filler out? Or am I better off to pull it out, clamp the new one on...'the right way'.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
avoll
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 1:51 am    Post subject: Re: Common candidates for fuel smell Reply with quote

Im not 100%, but I think you pull it all out and clamp it, then push it up and grab the rubber that gets screwed in around your gas cap, and pull it out.
I pulled everything out when I did it, and can't remember. I wouldn't let my kids ride in it with gas smell, so I went through everything.
I would say if you dont clamp it right, your prob going to get vapors if its not air tight.
I was amazed how much gas smell you can get from a little crack in the filler neck.

Like others said also, you might want to go through and replace fuel lines if there old lines. You dont want gas leaking and causing a fire.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 4:12 am    Post subject: Re: Common candidates for fuel smell Reply with quote

Pull it out and mark on the pipe the orientation of the seam in the rubber. Install the new elbow to match the mark. Since you are already in there and don't want to be going back in again anytime soon, change the boot between the tank and filler tube as well. The Mercedes/Dodge Sprinter boot works well and should last for decades. It is a tad too small in diameter and can be a beast to get on though. A tad of Vasoline or dish soap may help as can an exhaust pipe spreader from Harbor Freight.
Jetfxr69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 4:19 am    Post subject: Re: Common candidates for fuel smell Reply with quote

Two screws on the bottom, outboard of the tank strap bolts. They are tucked up and hard to see. Sorry, no pic

‘77 westy Seamus
‘76 tintop Crusher
‘77 westy The Judge
‘72 tintop bastard westy Hudson
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mfemenel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 2:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Common candidates for fuel smell Reply with quote

Man, they did not make it easy to find those damn things. Here's what I did, maybe it helps someone else. I dropped some flourescent orange string between the engine compartment seal as far to each corner as I could so I had a point of reference when I was underneath. Between that and the pictures online I was able to find them.
Step 2, get them out. Well I only got the passenger side so far, it's about to rain here and I don't really want to lay in the driveway in puddles to do this right now. For the passenger side (it's the easier one) I used two extensions to make 15 inches. One of the extensions was flexible so I could get around a few things. Worked for me but I'd caution anyone against this if their screws are in there tight. I would imagine any stuck screws would strip out pretty easily if you're using a flexible head. I didn't need much torque to move the passenger side. Magnetic phillips head socket would have been useful but not required. Mine was not magnetic.
On a nicer night I'll have to jack up the driver side and make an attempt. Not enough room with the bus on the ground to get that one. At least not for me.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Jetfxr69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 7:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Common candidates for fuel smell Reply with quote

Piece of cake with the engine and trans out. Just saying

‘77 westy Seamus
‘76 tintop Crusher
‘77 westy The Judge
mfemenel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 3:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Common candidates for fuel smell Reply with quote

Foot long screwdriver and jacking up the driver side made that last screw pretty simple. Got the firewall pried open, good enough. Glad I ordered a new piece from the tank to the neck. All cracked. Definitely a contributor some of the smell and depending on how those cracks go underneath, may have leaked some fuel.
Bus Depot is late getting my stuff to me so it'll sit for the weekend. I'll drain the tank as best I can and change my fuel filters. I don't want to open the tank up until I have the new parts on hand.

Jetfxr69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 4:46 am    Post subject: Re: Common candidates for fuel smell Reply with quote

ive used the Ratwell fix:

1 ft. of 2 1/4" Filler hose to tank hose, NAPA 1055 NBH GAS HOSE

works fine, you just have to cut it at an angle due to the slight bend between the tank and tube. couple of “good” ( not the cheap one) hose clamps and done. i think the last time I bought one it was $30 and its long enough for two pieces.

‘77 westy Seamus
‘76 tintop Crusher
‘77 westy The Judge
ToolBox
Samba Member

Location: Detroit, where they don't jack parts off my ride in the parking lot of the 7-11

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 8:53 am    Post subject: Re: Common candidates for fuel smell Reply with quote

mfemenel wrote:
Foot long screwdriver and jacking up the driver side made that last screw pretty simple. Got the firewall pried open, good enough. Glad I ordered a new piece from the tank to the neck. All cracked. Definitely a contributor some of the smell and depending on how those cracks go underneath, may have leaked some fuel.
Bus Depot is late getting my stuff to me so it'll sit for the weekend. I'll drain the tank as best I can and change my fuel filters. I don't want to open the tank up until I have the new parts on hand.

The local Dodge dealer can get the tank to filler hose. Fits a sprinter van.

Don't forget the fuel sender O-Ring... It will have shrunk and lets fumes out...

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mfemenel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 7:17 am    Post subject: Re: Common candidates for fuel smell Reply with quote

Got it out! New stuff arrives today.
Lessons Learned:
Make sure the hose from the tank to the pipe is off on both ends. Don't try to disconnect from the tank and pull it out with the hose still still attached to the pipe. Those extra few inches make a difference. Size matters Smile

If you have to, use a razor knife to cut the hose off. Mine was solidly adhered to the pipe. Do this with the filler neck still in the inlet so it doesn't twist & move. Careful cutting by the tank opening, not to drop any rubber pieces in there.

Go back and to the right to get enough space to get out the pie hole.
mfemenel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 1:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Common candidates for fuel smell Reply with quote

Putting it back in question. I don't have enough room to get it back in if I leave the tank to pipe gasket on. Has anyone been able to do this?
Approaches..?
Put gasket on tank slide pipe in, attach?
No gasket to tank or pipe, just neck and then try to do both in vehicle? This seems nearly impossible.

Ideas/suggestions?

Edit:
Answered my own question. I put the hose on the tank. Slid the metal pipe back in with the new neck and pulled it through the gas cap opening and put 2 screws loosely back on to hold it in place. Then pushed the pipe onto the other end of the gas tank hose and clamped it down. PITA! I will say I'm not thrilled with the bus depot flavor of tank to pipe hose. It's really just a mercedes hose and I feel like 1/2 to 1 inch longer would have made it easier to get the filler pipe seated in solidly. Should be back on the road by wednesday after my new fuel filter shows up and a small test tank refill occurs.
mfemenel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2021 2:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Common candidates for fuel smell Reply with quote

Last post on this one. Got everything back together, I had changed out my 2 fuel filters and started it up in the driveway. Gusher of a leak from the pump to filter #2 hose. Fortunately i had some on hand and it's all good now. Glad I was pessimistic about leaks and double checked everything before I got it off the stand and put the tire back on. Torrential rain now, test drive tomorrow but I think I'm good. Time to enjoy driving her for the summer now.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: