Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Newbie to Things needs help!
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brinkk77
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 1:09 pm    Post subject: Newbie to Things needs help! Reply with quote

Hello Everyone!
I know it’s one of those things that will be hard to answer as you are not here to see and know what’s going on, but any direction would be appreciated!

Have a ‘73 Thing. I took the 3 dash panels off to paint them as well as replacing the turn signal relay. While taking it all apart (dash components), I labels all wires and drew my own diagrams to be able to put back together. I was even lucky enough to borrow a wiring diagram from a neighbor to assist me if needed.

Problem: all components are installed and plugged in. The actual dash plates are still loose as I want to make sure things work first (not sure if that’s an issue). I plugged the battery back in, now there is no power at all. No lights, nothing.
I have doubled checked connections, even the battery.
I only disconnected the dash components to remove the dash to paint, nothing else.

Any suggestions of what I could be missing?
Thanks in advance.
Semper_Dad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 1:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Newbie to Things needs help! Reply with quote

The only thing I can think of that would give you a total power disconnect would be if you accidentally unplugged the connector behind the key switch. Looks a bit octagon shaped.

Otherwise, you need to get a multimeter and start chasing it down. Any power at the fuse panels?
Brinkk77
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 1:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Newbie to Things needs help! Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply. I will check that out. Haven’t started the multi meter testing yet. I know once that starts I won’t want to stop. Hoping it’s something basic I have overlooked.
Thanks!

Just checked the plug behind ignition switch and it is plugged in.
mondshine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 1:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Newbie to Things needs help! Reply with quote

The "first stop" for current from the battery is Terminal 30 on the headlight switch. (It is actually a double terminal.) There should be a heavy red/white wire coming from the battery, and another heavy red/white that continues on to the fuse panel, where it is connected to a red wire to Terminal 30 on the ignition switch.

You probably noticed that the fuse panel "supply side" consists of five jumpered pairs.
The first pair protects circuits that are live when the ignition is switched on.
The second pair protects the high beam circuits.
The third pair protects the low beam circuits.
The forth pair protects the parking and instrument light circuits.
The fifth pair protects the circuits that are live at all times.

Confirm that you have this set up correctly.

If everything is completely dead, check those heavy wires first.

Be aware that those wires carry heavy current and are not fused, so it would be a good idea to disconnect the battery negative before you go poking around.

Good luck, Mondshine
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Brinkk77
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 2:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Newbie to Things needs help! Reply with quote

Mondshine, that was where the problem was!!
Thanks for the help, she is running!!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: