Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What is this par? And what does it do?
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Drewbox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 1:49 pm    Post subject: What is this par? And what does it do? Reply with quote

Just playing with the ol Squareback and I noticed this connection. Pulled it out and found a pair of contacts that appear to be actuated by a cam in the distributor. The connector that plugs into it seem to go to the computer. (yes, this one is fuel injected).

The whole reason why I took it out; I took a overnight camping trip up in the mountains last week. She did pretty good going up the hill (for a VW) but at one point she started to hiccup and I could only do 30mph in second gear. I think its due to the higher altitude and a possible sticking advance mechanism. its was fairly sticky when I bought it and just did a quick shot of WD40.
I was thinking I could just throw in a regular 009, but it doesnt have this connector.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
nogoodwithusernames
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 1:59 pm    Post subject: Re: What is this par? And what does it do? Reply with quote

You might want to get the Bentley manual. Those are the FI trigger points. What tells your FI system when to open the injectors.

Also read through some of the troubleshooting threads. Check for vacuum leaks, make sure timing is correct etc as well.

-Derek
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Drewbox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 2:07 pm    Post subject: Re: What is this par? And what does it do? Reply with quote

I have the Bentley manuel. Unfortunatly it lacks he depth of detail that Im looking for, or at least used to (being an aircraft mechnic).
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 2:58 pm    Post subject: Re: What is this par? And what does it do? Reply with quote

For background and subtle details, grab a six pack and devote an evening or two to this thread:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=368774

As far as troubleshooting your car, the FI is the very last system to suspect. It is very reliable, once you get rid of funky (leaky) hoses and electrical connectors. The rest of the system may outlive you. It's that good.

Start with a careful tune-up, which is required on open-loop FI cars (like ours) to run well in any case. More than likely, you'll find timing has slipped or a wire is loose, something cheap and easy to fix.

How long have you had the car? What work has been done on it, especially lately?
Drewbox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 3:16 pm    Post subject: Re: What is this par? And what does it do? Reply with quote

Ill have to do that reading assignment tonight.

I got the car back in oct. '20.
The car itself is in immaculate condition. garaged its whole life, grocery gitter and sunday cruiser. bought it from the son of the original owner. The guy told me that he did take it to a VW shop to go through the engine and get it back on the road. new tires and a general wash. I bought it is Seattle and drove it home to Phoenix. solid car, no problems (other than running out of gas due to an inaccurate fuel gage). But after a couple months I started to notice a slight hiccup so I tried to adjust the timing but the distributor is already turned all the way over. A couple guys suspect that maybe the distro shaft is off my one tooth. The car still runs smooth 95% of the time, but every now and then when cruising down the freeway or under high loads itll hiccup.

I have no doubt that thre Fi is solid. Its just the ignightion and timing that I think need a little work.
nogoodwithusernames
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 3:29 pm    Post subject: Re: What is this par? And what does it do? Reply with quote

Good to hear you have the Bentley, I feel like there is another that goes more into depth on the FI system but I don't know what. Possibly one of the 914 manuals? Hopefully another will chime in.

If you can't get timing set right it's fairly easy to confirm the theory of the off-1-tooth drive. The manual should have a photo from straight above it showing the angle of the drive slot when at TDC, and if it's not quite right I think some people have carefully re-aligned it with a telescoping magnet (bolt picker upper). Just use caution to not lose the washers under the dist. drive.

And post up some photos of the car! (see the "how to post photos" link so we can see them properly on here) https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6

-Derek
Drewbox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 3:47 pm    Post subject: Re: What is this par? And what does it do? Reply with quote

A few picture of Daisy

gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2021 7:18 am    Post subject: Re: What is this par? And what does it do? Reply with quote

Looks like my Squareback...

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: