Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Remote Oil Cooler In A Beetle: Pics, Please
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
croSSeduP
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 5:33 pm    Post subject: Remote Oil Cooler In A Beetle: Pics, Please Reply with quote

I just bought one of these:
https://www.cbperformance.com/product-p/1689.htm?CartID=1
Today I went to look at how I might install it, and...
d'oh!
Looks impossible to mount it. I'd have to be Elastigirl to get my arms and hands up in there to mark mounting holes, drill mounting holes, and actually access the mounting holes to put bolts/nuts there to mount the thing. Please show me pics of the mounting of your remote coolers on the driver's side of the underside of the rear parcel tray. I might just pay someone who has a lift to just mount the cooler. Plumbing it looks easy by comparison.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 5:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Remote Oil Cooler In A Beetle: Pics, Please Reply with quote

Swing or IRS?

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 5:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Remote Oil Cooler In A Beetle: Pics, Please Reply with quote

Mine before I switched to the Setrab unit

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Notice my Transaxle was out
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
croSSeduP
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 6:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Remote Oil Cooler In A Beetle: Pics, Please Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
Swing or IRS?

That would make a difference. Seems it would be even harder in an IRS given the trailing arms. My car is a swing, however.
sled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 6:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Remote Oil Cooler In A Beetle: Pics, Please Reply with quote

I know you've had quite the roller coaster ride with your beetle build, and I hate to pile on more costs...but this is the best remote cooler setup for swing beetles hands down. The Setrab cooler is small, very efficient, and high quality. I run them (without the foothill fab mounts) on my bus, and my customer buses.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2278097

croSSeduP
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 6:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Remote Oil Cooler In A Beetle: Pics, Please Reply with quote

IT BOLTS TO THE AXLE TUBE?! Damn. I like it.
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 6:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Remote Oil Cooler In A Beetle: Pics, Please Reply with quote

Not sure how I posted the same thing so many times

Last edited by txoval on Fri May 07, 2021 6:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 6:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Remote Oil Cooler In A Beetle: Pics, Please Reply with quote

Delete

Last edited by txoval on Fri May 07, 2021 6:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 6:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Remote Oil Cooler In A Beetle: Pics, Please Reply with quote

Yes, I run that Setrab unit with the Foothill mounts.

It is an awesome unit. It is super tiny, but very efficient
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 6:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Remote Oil Cooler In A Beetle: Pics, Please Reply with quote

Ssetrab is a very compact and efficient cooler. I never installed mine since it just wasn't needed.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 6:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Remote Oil Cooler In A Beetle: Pics, Please Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
I never installed mine since it just wasn't needed.

thats another subject entirely. Im really surprised Crossed's engine needs a remote cooler, but every engine and car is different!
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 6:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Remote Oil Cooler In A Beetle: Pics, Please Reply with quote

sled wrote:
Glenn wrote:

thats another subject entirely. Im really surprised Crossed's engine needs a remote cooler, but every engine and car is different!

Some people just assume. I purchased the cooler and a sandwich thermostat and waited for the oil temps to said they were needed. When oil temps got to 215*F, I added the tennis ball to prop the bottom of the decklid and temps dropped to 210*F. So 3 years later I sold them.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
croSSeduP
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 7:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Remote Oil Cooler In A Beetle: Pics, Please Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
sled wrote:
Glenn wrote:

Some people just assume. I purchased the cooler and a sandwich thermostat and waited for the oil temps to said they were needed. When oil temps got to 215*F, I added the tennis ball to prop the bottom of the decklid and temps dropped to 210*F. So 3 years later I sold them.

I have a stand off on my decklid like what you describe with the tennis ball. The first long drive I took since replacing my engine case the oil and head temps were considerably higher than they were before and the ambient temps were only in the low 70’s. What’s it going to be in the heat of the summer

vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 9:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Remote Oil Cooler In A Beetle: Pics, Please Reply with quote

Just curious why your having so many issues with oil pressure and running hot. My 2276 with about 170 HP does not have any auxillary oil cooler and no overheating issues.

What oil pump are you running?
What oil?
What cam?
What compression ratio?
What fuel?
sled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 9:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Remote Oil Cooler In A Beetle: Pics, Please Reply with quote

vwracerdave wrote:
Just curious why your having so many issues with oil pressure and running hot. My 2276 with about 170 HP does not have any auxillary oil cooler and no overheating issues.

What oil pump are you running?
What oil?
What cam?
What compression ratio?
What fuel?

you've already chimed in on those details

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=753010&highlight=
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 5:13 am    Post subject: Re: Remote Oil Cooler In A Beetle: Pics, Please Reply with quote

croSSeduP wrote:
I have a stand off on my decklid like what you describe with the tennis ball. The first long drive I took since replacing my engine case the oil and head temps were considerably higher than they were before and the ambient temps were only in the low 70’s. What’s it going to be in the heat of the summer

Was this a new engine? New engines run hot until they breakin. Did you confirm that your oil temp gauge is accurate? I found mine reads 40*F higher than actual, so 250*F is really only 210*F.

This was in September with ambient temps in the mid 70s. This was at 1:30pm so the heat of the day. Note the speed of 71mph and the oil temp gauge reads 220*F which is actually only 180*F.

Engine is a 2180, 9.5:1cr, all factory tin including industrial shields and hoover bit, stock Type 1 oil cooler, thermostat and flaps, 1.5qt sump, 28mm oil pump, remote filter, NO secondary oil cooler and 74 decklid with 4 rows of vents and closed.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
King_vw61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 7:18 am    Post subject: Re: Remote Oil Cooler In A Beetle: Pics, Please Reply with quote

That cooler will fit, my CBR is big. 3” radiator core duel pass -10 orb threaded inlet and outlet. Fits right where you want it to. As close to the shock and just before the bend in the package tray. Use 1” rubber isolators to mount it.

Like others said you shouldn’t need it. It’s not a water cooled V8. 230 on the hot side is fine. I went to E85 so I could drive it harder once it was hot and it did drop oil 20 degree and cht 40 to 50. But that’s another subject. I also have no way to run a doghouse cooler, the case has no place for it.

You can see the inlet side of my cooler.

nextgen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 8:54 am    Post subject: Re: Remote Oil Cooler In A Beetle: Pics, Please Reply with quote

I agree with Glenn said

"Some people just assume. I purchased the cooler and a sandwich thermostat" !

I assumed my a 36hp fanhousing conversion was not going to cool the T-4 engine in my bug.

Wrong, the 2.0 T-4 engine was hardly working pushing my 1700 lb bug. Ran too cool.

Like Glenn I bought many feet of Earls braided oil lines, sandwich adaptor with thermostat, and sold it all at a swap meet. Big loss of money on that one.
LETS TALK DUBS https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=joe+cali+ghia https://letstalkdubs.libsyn.com/ep-200-joe-cali-ty...qI3xJTCzjs
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 8:58 am    Post subject: Re: Remote Oil Cooler In A Beetle: Pics, Please Reply with quote

Install of my Setrab

esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 10:15 am    Post subject: Re: Remote Oil Cooler In A Beetle: Pics, Please Reply with quote

I get stuck in some stop and go city traffic, and in the city in the summer, I needed the extra cooling. I got a small Setrab, and it does the trick. It's plumbed in with the thermostatic plate, and the fan is on an oil temp switch. There's a dash light to show when it's on, and it only ever works on the absolute hottest days. It's mounted vertically next to the trans.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: