Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Appreciate Advice on Fitting Fan Shroud to Aluminum BT Case!!
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
texastomeh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 5:47 pm    Post subject: Appreciate Advice on Fitting Fan Shroud to Aluminum BT Case!! Reply with quote

Guys,

Just received a new 36HP reproduction Fan Shroud (no heater tubes) for my 1776 build.

Since I am using a new AUTOLINEA Aluminum BT case, I will be "modifying" the shroud to fit.

I'm using the 36HP shroud since it supposedly works better with the dual 40 HPMX carb setup.

I have done searches on the various VW forums and YouTube in hopes of finding a thread or video where someone has done it - but found nothing.

I am sure that I am quite capable of doing it from scratch, but I always like to learn from someone else's successes and/or mistakes when possible! Shocked

THANX in advance for any help/advice/recommendations. Cool

Tom

GETTING old was GREAT - BEING old SUCKS!!

Too bad that the guys that know how to solve all of the WORLD's problems are too busy working on old Volkswagens!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 5:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Appreciate Advice on Fitting Fan Shroud to Aluminum BT Case!! Reply with quote

No video to help you, but it’s the center area that needs to be trimmed. For me, I just did trial and error...trimmed until it fit properly

I should have mine back from powdercoat next week and can post a pic
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 6:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Appreciate Advice on Fitting Fan Shroud to Aluminum BT Case!! Reply with quote

my newer BBT case is a lot different than my15 year old one. I wondered if they changed it there so not much work to be don to the shroud... but as I recall not a lot had to be done on my old one...but that was 15 or 16 years ago...someday I might get to mess with the newer case I have, I think I just re formed the shroud where it needed altering not really cutting any thing.
spencerfvee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2021 4:18 am    Post subject: Re: Appreciate Advice on Fitting Fan Shroud to Aluminum BT Case!! Reply with quote

i have done some BT cases .and i had to cut a lot off of the fan housing to make it fit . it was a pain in the butt . but after a hour i got it to fit the BT case spencerfvee
texastomeh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2021 2:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Appreciate Advice on Fitting Fan Shroud to Aluminum BT Case!! Reply with quote

Guys,

THANX for the comments! Cool

txoval, I would really like to see a pic of your finished shroud if possible. Pls post or PM me.

I plan to start my mockup early next week.

The rotating assembly is still out for balancing, so this will give me something to do while I wait.

From all appearances and what that I have read, it should not be that much of a job - just a little tedious if you want it to fit right.

Will take some "in-process" photos that may be of help to some other "newbie" down the road. Rolling Eyes

THANX again and stay well!! Cool Cool

Tom

GETTING old was GREAT - BEING old SUCKS!!

Too bad that the guys that know how to solve all of the WORLD's problems are too busy working on old Volkswagens!!
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2021 6:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Appreciate Advice on Fitting Fan Shroud to Aluminum BT Case!! Reply with quote

I've never had a bubble-top case in my hands, but I can think out loud. The fan shroud and generator/alternator are mainly supported by the generator stand. The shroud then fits into the tops of the cylinder tins, with the bottom of the shroud in the center touching the top of the case to help being an air barrier. So- if you install your cylinder tins and the gen/alt stand with the thin baffle and one gasket, place your shroud and gen/alt onto the stand. Since the BT case is higher in the center than a stock case, your gen/alt will not sit flat on the stand. It will stand higher on the front (front of car) side of the stand, creating a gap. Try to get a divider to that gap and set it. Then place some masking tape along the bottom of the shroud at the center where it sits on the BT case's top curve. Eyeball the shroud along the left and right sides so that it sits the same amount up from the edges of each cyl tin and is not tilted slightly to one side. Use the slot for the shroud's side screws as the "tilt indicator". Run your divider along the top of the case so that its curve is traced onto the tape. If the BT bulge is symmetrical on both case halves, you will end up with a "crescent" shaped tracing. Then remove the shroud and carefully/cleanly cut along the traced line. When the shroud sits flat on the gen/alt stand and is not tilted, you're set.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: