Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

WATCH OUT for those Empi 9436 rotors for Type 1/3
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
michla
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 10:47 pm    Post subject: WATCH OUT for those Empi 9436 rotors for Type 1/3 Reply with quote

Rebuilt race engine with existing 009 distributor/Pertronix magnetic pickup, replaced rotor for new Empi 9436.

Couldn't get it fired up cranking too many times, finally noticed the rotor tip on my previous Empi 9436 was FAR narrower than the same I mail-ordered last fall! What da.... Shocked

Still a decently quality part but those Chinese don't understand VW's and this rotor tip was .653" wide and the previous version rotor is only .440" wide. My long duration cam requires lots of advance so what I was getting was cross-firing from too wide of a rotor tip. Ground ends off to typical width rotor tip and everything fired up happily. Wink
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 9:25 am    Post subject: Re: WATCH OUT for those Empi 9436 rotors for Type 1/3 Reply with quote

Unfortunately it’s getting to the point of, not which ignition component is better, but what is available. The Covid production delay circus is just beginning, and classic cars in general are at the bottom of the list. I recently got some 009 replacement caps from Beru after being on backorder for months. I wanted them as a Bosch alternative because they seemed to be one of the ones left using good cap material with copper contacts. The new production run of caps now have aluminum contacts. Start buying items by the dozen if you have a special requirement/preference. We will soon be at the mercy of the aftermarket.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 10:27 am    Post subject: Re: WATCH OUT for those Empi 9436 rotors for Type 1/3 Reply with quote

perhaps somethen needs indexing....or they sent the rong part or...it needed trimming.
michla
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 11:22 am    Post subject: Re: WATCH OUT for those Empi 9436 rotors for Type 1/3 Reply with quote

mark tucker wrote:
perhaps somethen needs indexing....or they sent the rong part or...it needed trimming.

oh believe me I indexing the hel* out of it lol but comparing the rotor tip from the old one of the same to the new, it looked like the rotor tip for a Ford V8 or something Confused
michla
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 11:31 am    Post subject: Re: WATCH OUT for those Empi 9436 rotors for Type 1/3 Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
Unfortunately it’s getting to the point of, not which ignition component is better, but what is available

OH TRUE THAT!
Really not so much about covid production delays as modern business strategy and economics--or so we seem to think lately. Far cheaper for American "joe-blow racing" to contract China or Mexico or Taiwan in *mass* production lots for $1 each, sell for $10 each...then when the production for 150,000 parts as contracted is complete, throw away the whole concern. Instead of warehouse overhead it's move on to something else more in demand. Which mean stock dries up and that's it. We're at the mercy of whatever some idiot wants to call "VW".
Gone are the good days of replenishable inventory. Get it or forget it.
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 11:48 am    Post subject: Re: WATCH OUT for those Empi 9436 rotors for Type 1/3 Reply with quote

CB lo longer sells the the non-resistor rotor?
I guess that's no surprise, it's been 8 years since I bought one.

I've found you can use some elecromotive parts cleaner and clean all the staining off it, can get rotors and ignition parts back to working.
It's not worth the time for a 5 or 10$ part, but it's worth it if the part is not currently available.
michla
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 12:03 pm    Post subject: Re: WATCH OUT for those Empi 9436 rotors for Type 1/3 Reply with quote

modok wrote:

I've found you can use some elecromotive parts cleaner and clean all the staining off it, can get rotors and ignition parts back to working.

But we're talking about two wear issues here that are irreplaceable--one is rotor tip erosion from repeated arching...eventually the gap between the cap contact and rotor tip widens and misfire unknowningly happens especially at the leading edge (affects ignition timing). This is #1 and then incidental to our concern here but still a reality is #2... the much more desirable copper or brass construction for consistent electrical conducitivity that unavoidably develops increased resistance with use over time.

Since I'm race-only, I CAREFULLY grind out the mini-resistor between the cap sprung-pin contact and the rotor tip with a tiny rotary burr, cleaning out the entire factory-epoxied cavity. I then take a short piece of romex copper 10 or 12 gauge stripped cable just the right length to span the tip to rotor space and solder the ends carefully and completely, testing the connection. I refill this cavity with epoxy and works avoiding burnt out rotor resistors which I don't need for my application anyway. As for the rotor tip erosion, I'm still working on that...might have to salvage another brand rotor tip to fit the application and carefully epoxy that to the VW rotor and hope it stays put.

Last edited by michla on Sat May 08, 2021 12:29 pm; edited 2 times in total
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 12:28 pm    Post subject: Re: WATCH OUT for those Empi 9436 rotors for Type 1/3 Reply with quote

If you are cutting out the resistor, Bosch’s 04038 rotor will fit an 009 shaft, and has a wide tip.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/partsearch/?partnum=04038
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
michla
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 12:33 pm    Post subject: Re: WATCH OUT for those Empi 9436 rotors for Type 1/3 Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
If you are cutting out the resistor, Bosch’s 04038 rotor will fit an 009 shaft

thanks but that's still a resistance rotor
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 1:10 pm    Post subject: Re: WATCH OUT for those Empi 9436 rotors for Type 1/3 Reply with quote

Why stop at the resistor? Replace the entire metal part. Razz
Buy a sheet of material and have them water jet cut out a lifetime supply.

But anyway thanks for the heads up about empi parts being wrong and about the rotors being NLA, did not know. Makes no sense at all. The one without the resistor should be cheaper Think Must have sent the chinese the wrong thing to copy as usual
michla
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 2:27 pm    Post subject: Re: WATCH OUT for those Empi 9436 rotors for Type 1/3 Reply with quote

modok wrote:
Must have sent the chinese the wrong thing to copy as usual

lol--more like they pulled a part from another production line because they ran out of the specified ones
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 3:05 pm    Post subject: Re: WATCH OUT for those Empi 9436 rotors for Type 1/3 Reply with quote

michla wrote:
[email protected] wrote:
If you are cutting out the resistor, Bosch’s 04038 rotor will fit an 009 shaft

thanks but that's still a resistance rotor

I thought you stated in your previous post that you are modifying the rotor removing the resistor?

CB has discontinued the Max Spark rotor without the resistor. OEM replacements are designed to have a resistor, so all the Elgin, Standard, Bosch, Beru, and Bremi rotors are going to have resistors. The 04038 is only one you’re going to find with the wider tip.
michla
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 3:53 pm    Post subject: Re: WATCH OUT for those Empi 9436 rotors for Type 1/3 Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:

I thought you stated in your previous post that you are modifying the rotor removing the resistor?

yes but this original post topic was about tip width variances in production. I'm not removing the sprun-pin contact or the rotor tip--just defeating the resistor function. Since they're getting so expensive ($20 to here) maybe next time I will remove the tip and replace it entirely

Last edited by michla on Sat May 08, 2021 3:56 pm; edited 2 times in total
chrisflstf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 3:55 pm    Post subject: Re: WATCH OUT for those Empi 9436 rotors for Type 1/3 Reply with quote

If anyone is looking for one, Napa EP278 is a resistorless rotor for a Bosch 010. Yes, it measures less than 1 ohm, compared to 5K in the original Bosch units. Wide Tip. About $9. I switched to it when I installed a Winterburn CDI last year. The rotors are made in Mex.

https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/ECHEP278?__cf_chl_...0QdH3YkF44

Last edited by chrisflstf on Sat May 08, 2021 4:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
michla
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 3:57 pm    Post subject: Re: WATCH OUT for those Empi 9436 rotors for Type 1/3 Reply with quote

chrisflstf wrote:
Napa EP278 is a resistorless rotor for a Bosch 010.

if i recall correctly, the 010 is a larger diameter shaft than a 009 so it wouldn't fit my application
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 5:37 pm    Post subject: Re: WATCH OUT for those Empi 9436 rotors for Type 1/3 Reply with quote

The catalog says it fits, but it does not list the resistance.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: