Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What brand new engine do I buy ?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bugglyugger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 7:19 am    Post subject: What brand new engine do I buy ? Reply with quote

I am currently running a 1300 t.p. 30/31 carburetor with a standard gearbox.
Is it just slow ? Is it tired ? Top speed 70mph (screaming)
I am thinking upgrade to 1641 engine for a little more uuummmfffff !!!....as this option has brand new heads and pro street camshaft...the 1341 only has a reconditioned camshaft and heads...(if I am buying a new engine then I want new parts..) I will be buying a new carburetor to match whatever engine I buy..
My question is ....is there much difference between 1300/1600/1641..Do I need to upgrade the gearbox ratio to benefit 1641 power when used on motorways..
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 7:32 am    Post subject: Re: What brand new engine do I buy ? Reply with quote

Go for a stroker 2110 or larger.

A 1641 might have 70hp while a 2110 will have double that.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
evanfrucht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 8:11 am    Post subject: Re: What brand new engine do I buy ? Reply with quote

Yep, have fun with it. Stroker cranks are cheap. These engines are cheap enough. Go big now or you will most likely regret not doing so later, especially if you are power hungry.

If you think it's slow now, even a 1776 wont impress you for more than a day or so... no point wasting the time with that unless fuel economy is the number one priority. Top speed (safely) will still be about 70 either way, that has more to do with gearing. With a bigger motor it will have a LOT more torque and will feel much quicker overall tho.

Some people prefer smaller motors because they think they are lower maintenance or are just afraid of having too much fun for whatever reason... Laughing

I just built a 2180 and am happy with the size but next time I'm going bigger Twisted Evil

Also tell us who you are looking at buying the engine from before you buy some peice of crap from the worst builder around... THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT !!!
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 9:09 am    Post subject: Re: What brand new engine do I buy ? Reply with quote

evanfrucht wrote:
These engines are cheap enough.

Not really.

I just priced a 1776 build, for a customer, using the CB Builder's Choice kit as a base. I removed the case and hardware, since I have a good core, but the price for parts along was over $4100 which includes the dual 40 IDFs, ignition and clutch but does not include the exhaust.

I will be reusing all the existing tin, alternator and fuel pump.

Then there's labor, machine work and so on.

A stroker will add some more in parts and machine work.

This can easily be a $6000-$7000 engine depending on the exhaust and if the tin is powder painted.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 9:34 am    Post subject: Re: What brand new engine do I buy ? Reply with quote

Roy has turnkeys for <4k for a 1641.

https://www.mofoco.com/category/TurnKey_Engines/c70

2110's for just over 6k. But you would probably want to start adding upgrades at this level.

Edit: sorry didn't know you were on that side of the pond.

Last edited by Pruneman99 on Sat May 08, 2021 1:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
evanfrucht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 9:58 am    Post subject: Re: What brand new engine do I buy ? Reply with quote

I was just saying that in the realm of things it's fairly cheap to hot rod a VW engine. Type 1 engine parts are not too bad. The whole air-cooled VW hobby is very affordable compared to let's say a Porsche of the same era or anything more scarce/rare/exotic. Later model Bugs especially are still really cheap, even Ghias and Ovals aren't that much. The whole scene is very easy to get into as it doesn't cost a ridiculous amount of money...

If one wants a new engine for more power and to make the car more fun, a grand or two extra is worth it in my eyes.

On the other hand if someone's engine blows and they come asking — "I was happy with the old engine... it might of felt a little tired tho. What engine should I buy now? I'm on a budget..." — then the answer would be keep it stock and have the old one rebuilt, only replace what needs to be replaced with quality parts... or buy a simple 1600... etc.
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 10:20 am    Post subject: Re: What brand new engine do I buy ? Reply with quote

I would go for 2332 or larger.and dueling hpmx crabs. all built for the intended application.
GARRICK.CLARK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 10:45 am    Post subject: Re: What brand new engine do I buy ? Reply with quote

Biggest cc that your budget will allow.
spencerfvee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 11:23 am    Post subject: Re: What brand new engine do I buy ? Reply with quote

bugglyugger wrote:
I am currently running a 1300 t.p. 30/31 carburetor with a standard gearbox.
Is it just slow ? Is it tired ? Top speed 70mph (screaming)
I am thinking upgrade to 1641 engine for a little more uuummmfffff !!!....as this option has brand new heads and pro street camshaft...the 1341 only has a reconditioned camshaft and heads...(if I am buying a new engine then I want new parts..) I will be buying a new carburetor to match whatever engine I buy..
My question is ....is there much difference between 1300/1600/1641..Do I need to upgrade the gearbox ratio to benefit 1641 power when used on motorways..
......................................................................................................................guys guys if i read his post right . he wants a 1641 motor .i think he wants a simple motor . ok theres a old saying how fast do you want to go how much money do you want to spend ?? bugglyugger how much do you want to spend on your motor build and are you going to put it together ? that info would help the guys on samba . when they give you feed back on what parts to use . on your motor build . sounds like you want a single carb for your motor build . if you build a 1641 motor i dont think you need a new trans up grade build . put your money into parts for your motor build . if you have not blown up the stock trans that tells me your not that hard on your trans. spencerfvee. PS never ever buy a GEX motor thats all i am going to say about GEX
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
evanfrucht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 11:59 am    Post subject: Re: What brand new engine do I buy ? Reply with quote

The way I read it he has a 1300 now and wants more power. He thinks it's slow.

With his limited knowledge and experience he thinks maybe a 1641 might be a good upgrade... I dont think the OP is dead set on keeping it that small, but I'm not really sure.

I think the general advice given so far has been basically: "bump it up more/it's easy to go bigger"

Maybe the OP has some weird idea that a 2276 or whatever would just be impossible or would not fit in his car or something... or just somehow out of the question for whatever made up reason... maybe he didnt even know they build 'em that big...

Well, yes they do sir Cool
UK Luke 72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 12:23 pm    Post subject: Re: What brand new engine do I buy ? Reply with quote

Speak to a reputable engine builder in the UK and be realistic with your budget/desires.
Danny Wharton at Reichspeed is brilliant but I'm not sure he caters for the closer to stock stuff.
Jason at Aircooled hut, or BJspeedshop all worth getting in touch with.

A tidy 1641 chooches a beetle along quite nicely.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 12:37 pm    Post subject: Re: What brand new engine do I buy ? Reply with quote

GARRICK.CLARK wrote:
Biggest cc that your budget will allow.

A 1776 with great heads will outrun a 2332 with out of the box heads.

Big displacement doesn't always equal Big power.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
GARRICK.CLARK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 12:38 pm    Post subject: Re: What brand new engine do I buy ? Reply with quote

Don't forget me. 35 years vw service
I'd rather have a 2332 with out the box heads than a 1776 with great heads.
UK Luke 72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 12:59 pm    Post subject: Re: What brand new engine do I buy ? Reply with quote

GARRICK.CLARK wrote:

Sorry Garrick, I've just not crossed paths with you yet Smile
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 1:04 pm    Post subject: Re: What brand new engine do I buy ? Reply with quote

GARRICK.CLARK wrote:

I know you've seen this before, but...

Link

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
GARRICK.CLARK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 1:05 pm    Post subject: Re: What brand new engine do I buy ? Reply with quote

Nay bother. I'm building a 1776 at the moment. All new parts.
Al say this to hobby builders... triple check everything. And don't expect new parts to be any good.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 1:08 pm    Post subject: Re: What brand new engine do I buy ? Reply with quote

GARRICK.CLARK wrote:
Nay bother. I'm building a 1776 at the moment. All new parts.
Al say this to hobby builders... triple check everything. And don't expect new parts to be any good.

Never trust anything out of the box. Last engine I built had zero endplay with no shims. Needed to machine the new flywheel to get it right.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
bugglyugger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 1:08 pm    Post subject: Re: What brand new engine do I buy ? Reply with quote

Just spent ages replying to you all...then it logged me out n booted everything...

Right ....let's try again....
GARRICK.CLARK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 1:18 pm    Post subject: Re: What brand new engine do I buy ? Reply with quote

No shims...i hear that, measure everything, don't close that case till your 100 percent convinced its correct.
This is a rare event

Rebuilt a 1300 single port last year. It was the dirtiest engine I've ever worked on, inch thick sludge. Amazingly it didn't need an align bore. And the thrust was still standard and tight.
mikedjames
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 1:20 pm    Post subject: Re: What brand new engine do I buy ? Reply with quote

Over here, the VW Engine Company Mexico engines are based round new parts for everything except rods and crank, where they reuse original VW parts.

Also sold with a slightly different spec as JK Preservation Parts.

Prices are lower than for custom build. Come in 1600, 1641 and 1776 versions.

Could be a lower cost way of getting a guaranteed good engine.

1974 VW T2 : Devon Eurovette camper with 1641 DP T1 engine, Progressive carb, full flow oil cooler, EDIS crank timed ignition.
Engine 1: 40k miles (rocker shaft clip fell off), Engine 2: 30k miles (rebuild, dropped valve). Engine 3: a JK Preservation Parts "new" engine, aluminium case: 26k miles: new top end.
Gearbox rebuild 2021 by Bears.

1979 Westerly GK24 24 foot racer/cruiser yacht Forethought of Gosport.
1973 wooden Pacer sailing dinghy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: