Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What brand new engine do I buy ?
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 1:27 pm    Post subject: Re: What brand new engine do I buy ? Reply with quote

I'll leave it at... have realistic expectations.

CHEAP - FAST - RELIABLE

You can only pick two.

I'm in the process of specing a 1776 for a customer. First option was too much so I went with Plan B... mostly off the shelf stuff. The price is ring but he's also giving up some horsepower.

So he chose "cheap and reliable" over "fast and reliable".

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
GARRICK.CLARK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 1:33 pm    Post subject: Re: What brand new engine do I buy ? Reply with quote

As above. At least go 1776.
A good set of gear ratios is the other thing that's needed.
A copy of a GT box will make a bug fast on the street with the ability to keep up with motorway traffic without revving the motor uncomfortably high.
bsairhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 1:48 pm    Post subject: Re: What brand new engine do I buy ? Reply with quote

My very first car was a 63 bug with a 66 1300cc rebuilt engine. I bought it in 1978 in Eden Prairie Minnesota. It ran great. Of course I was 16 years old and had to bolt on all the upgrades from JC Whitney. Holley progressive carb, header exhaust, 009 distributor, airflow restricting behind the shroud oil cooler. Of course a cut most of the fenders off and put the biggest tires that Dune Buggy Supply sold, Desert Dog PCV or something like that and rolled it twice. Smoked the transaxle "torn boot" and generally put the whip to it all the time. I miss that car but mostly I miss that engine. I think the 1300 was the toughest motor VW made until the development of the type 4. Your motor is tired, rebuild it well and you will have a fun driver.
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 1:51 pm    Post subject: Re: What brand new engine do I buy ? Reply with quote

bugglyugger wrote:
Just spent ages replying to you all...then it logged me out n booted everything...

Right ....let's try again....

What is your ultimate goal? I know you mentioned a bump in power. What is your performance expectations, what type of environment/terrain do you drive, and weekly mileage you drive?

Since you are in Europe. Would a bigger cc engine be an issue with local tax laws or inspections?

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
bugglyugger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 2:50 pm    Post subject: Re: What brand new engine do I buy ? Reply with quote

2nd attempt the battery went flat..lost it all again.... Gggrrrrrrr ! 😠

I was under the assumption 1300/1341 was small...1600/1641 middle...1876/2276 or whatever was big..the latter being so big my gearbox wouldn't keep up..adding more to the budget..
as mentioned the cost of parts and machining to recondition the engine can equal the cost of buying one..taking into account i will not be happy if it goes bang after 20 miles due to my incompetence..
If I am purchasing another engine then why not a little bigger..I just don't want any surprises of you also need to change this and this and this...I don't want to be able to trundle on the motorway at 100 mph+...I don't want to do burnouts...I want reliability, a little more go and good fuel economy ....if this exists !!!
My budget is not brilliant...I am looking at the 1641 pro street engine from The engine shop ...u.k. I like the fact it has new camshaft and heads where as the 1341 they are only reconditioned..
My engine runs .....burns oils...has a slight knocking...end float...noisy tappets.
esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 4:51 pm    Post subject: Re: What brand new engine do I buy ? Reply with quote

Generally speaking, building with a stock stroke 69mm crankshaft and stock rods will be cheaper than building with a stroker crank. A well build 1835 or 1915 can be a nice improvement over stock, while keeping the budget reasonable. Once you get into stroker cranks, you open the door to more machine work, better heads, stronger trans, etc, and the cost can quickly increase.
Just my experience and opinion.
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 5:41 pm    Post subject: Re: What brand new engine do I buy ? Reply with quote

Agree with that comment, even the “higher quality” parts have issues that need to be addressed.

GARRICK.CLARK wrote:
Nay bother. I'm building a 1776 at the moment. All new parts.
Al say this to hobby builders... triple check everything. And don't expect new parts to be any good.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
spencerfvee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 8:10 pm    Post subject: Re: What brand new engine do I buy ? Reply with quote

bugglyugger wrote:

I was under the assumption 1300/1341 was small...1600/1641 middle...1876/2276 or whatever was big..the latter being so big my gearbox wouldn't keep up..adding more to the budget..
as mentioned the cost of parts and machining to recondition the engine can equal the cost of buying one..taking into account i will not be happy if it goes bang after 20 miles due to my incompetence..
If I am purchasing another engine then why not a little bigger..I just don't want any surprises of you also need to change this and this and this...I don't want to be able to trundle on the motorway at 100 mph+...I don't want to do burnouts...I want reliability, a little more go and good fuel economy ....if this exists !!!
My budget is not brilliant...I am looking at the 1641 pro street engine from The engine shop ...u.k. I like the fact it has new camshaft and heads where as the 1341 they are only reconditioned..
My engine runs .....burns oils...has a slight knocking...end float...noisy tappets.
...................................................................................................................................... hi being your in the UK . i bet gas is high. gas is going up here in the USA. we were paying $2.40 gal. now its 2.95 gal there saying it might hit $3.50 a gal. by summer . if i was you. i would build the 1641 too. with a cheater cam. stock dual port heads . a stock pick 34 carb a good header and good no vac. dizy . good luck spencerfvee
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
evanfrucht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 8:14 pm    Post subject: Re: What brand new engine do I buy ? Reply with quote

At the end of the day it's really up to you. IMO a mild 2+ liter will make a good powerful commuter that wont feel slow or underpowered at all BUT also might be more engine than some people/applications need or want. A good stocker or 1776 will move the car just fine. Also the trans is what determines the top speed and highway cruising RPM, however I don't like to drive my bug past about 65 mph on public roads anyway, just personally.

I'm planning to use my 2180 with the stock tranny that has many miles on it, I just dont plan to push it too hard or do any burnouts and such... and well, if I break her then I'll save up for a new one Wink I drove a single port 1600 for years which felt slow to me and wanted something more fun and powerful that would really be a blast to drive, for better or worse I built it fairly big. It's not in the car yet so I cant tell you much more. My budget wasn't endless either, but I saved money building it myself, came out to about 5k.

I might be bonkers tho, so don't follow my lead Twisted Evil
UK Luke 72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2021 10:29 am    Post subject: Re: What brand new engine do I buy ? Reply with quote

bugglyugger wrote:

Check out my 1835 camper build below. A lot of stock parts but upgraded where necessary, should live a nice long life.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: