Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Alternator...where's this f#$*ing wire go?
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
sscanlan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 9:35 pm    Post subject: Alternator...where's this f#$*ing wire go? Reply with quote

Quick summary.

Van battery died. Determined alternator bad. had it rebuilt and have installed it. works as should...14+ volts when running.

Problem is when we turn the key off the alternator light stays on.

1974 with and 1800...larger of the alternator options (can't recall the Amps)

Voltage regulator maybe? If I disconnect the blue wire off the regulator to the dash...light goes out. If I unplug the voltage regulator...light stays on.

Pulled the alternator today and there's nothing shorting (initial thought).

Now...as typical with our wonderful vans, there are random wires....so, this is coming back from the alternator in the same harness that goes to the regulator. Black wire. Can't recall it being connected, but had multiple hands helping with this, so not sure it came off something?

Who can tell me when the black wire with the tape on it goes? Very Happy (the one with the blue connectors on it is the "blue" wire...lol)

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 10:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Alternator...where's this f#$*ing wire go? Reply with quote

The black wire is for the dealer diagnostic system and just needs to be taped off, preferably it isn't even connected on its alternator end.

The blue wire coming off the regulator needs to be connected to a blue wire running forward to the dash light, it also splits off to the relay for the heater booster fan. Nothing in this blue wire's circuit should have voltage on it when the engine isn't running and the key is off, not the alternator/regulator, not the booster fan relay, not the warning light on the dash.
telford dorr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2021 12:08 am    Post subject: Re: Alternator...where's this f#$*ing wire go? Reply with quote

Unplug the connector on the regulator. Light stays on? No - bad regulator. Yes - unplug connector on heater booster relay. Light stays on? No - bad booster relay. Yes - bad alternator.
When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. The pain is only felt by others.
Same thing happens when you're stupid. - Philippe Geluck
More VW electrical at http://telforddorr.com/ (available 9am to 9pm PST)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sscanlan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 3:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Alternator...where's this f#$*ing wire go? Reply with quote

ok...thanks for the replies.

Black wire is currently taped off....I'll leave it that way.

Blue wire from the regulator is connected to the blue (green-ish lol) wire to the dash...someone's just done a number on the connectors.

If I unplug the regulator (while key is off), the light stays on.

I'll look at the heater booster relay...
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: