Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Limebug deck lid brackets
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mervo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 11:26 pm    Post subject: Limebug deck lid brackets Reply with quote

Has anyone had experience with the Limebug one-piece (non-standoff) engine hood brackets? https://www.limebug.com/.../t1-beetle-single-piece.

I have spent 3 days manipulating the fit of my deck lid by adding new curved brackets, levelling the perches under the rear cowling, repairing a damaged hinge and it is now 85% right. There has to be an easier way!
Dougy Dee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2021 1:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Limebug deck lid brackets Reply with quote

Lincoln was a lazy guy I used to work with.
Called him 404 Error because Linky no worky!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mervo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2021 4:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Limebug deck lid brackets Reply with quote

Are you saying that these are not available or they don't work?
Dan the workingstiff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2021 4:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Limebug deck lid brackets Reply with quote

I believe he's saying, the supplied link isn't directly linked to the part your speaking of.

Neat website!
'76 IH 1200
'75 IH 1200
Dougy Dee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2021 5:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Limebug deck lid brackets Reply with quote

˙˙˙˙ʎʞɹoM oN ʎʞuᴉ˥

sdlǝɥ sᴉɥʇ ǝdoH

˙˙˙sn∀ ɯoɹɟ ǝɹ,no⅄
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mervo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2021 7:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Limebug deck lid brackets Reply with quote

Such subtle humour. It was the original link but as we know these some times default to the base link, or none. Here is the item I question

https://www.limebug.com/product/view/2556/t1-beetl...ff-pr#temp

Link works.
Mervo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 2:12 am    Post subject: Re: Limebug deck lid brackets Reply with quote

No feedback on my original question D Dee?
Dougy Dee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 7:00 am    Post subject: Re: Limebug deck lid brackets Reply with quote

Sure. Only have had the adjustable Limebug brackets.
Cute design.
Not impressed.

I'll interpret this for you...

˙pǝssǝɹdɯᴉ ʇoN
˙uƃᴉsǝp ǝʇnƆ
˙sʇǝʞɔɐɹq ƃnqǝɯᴉ˥ ǝlqɐʇsnɾpɐ ǝɥʇ pɐɥ ǝʌɐɥ ʎluO ˙ǝɹnS
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 7:56 am    Post subject: Re: Limebug deck lid brackets Reply with quote

They look like an aesthetic choice- not necessarily better than stock.
If manipulating the factory parts is hard, I highly doubt aftermarket would be easier or VW would have done it.

I think you simply have straightness issues of your hinge mounts on the car, the brackets, the hinges on the decklid or all of the above. Try mounting two matched, straight pieces of angle iron to the factory car body hinge mounts- have them stick out like two long fork tines parallel. Then see if those two irons remain aligned or need tweeking.

The decklid hinge alignment is also easy to check. Bolt one of those straight angle iron section between two of the decklid bolts. Then simply work the hinges. Does it bind or do the hinges roll smoothly from open to closed?

You see where I'm going with the alignment tests?

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
Mervo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 2:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Limebug deck lid brackets Reply with quote

Dougy Dee wrote:
Sure. Only have had the adjustable Limebug brackets.
Cute design.
Not impressed.

I'll interpret this for you...

˙pǝssǝɹdɯᴉ ʇoN
˙uƃᴉsǝp ǝʇnƆ
˙sʇǝʞɔɐɹq ƃnqǝɯᴉ˥ ǝlqɐʇsnɾpɐ ǝɥʇ pɐɥ ǝʌɐɥ ʎluO ˙ǝɹnS

You should be on the stage Dougy. Hilarious.
Mervo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 2:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Limebug deck lid brackets Reply with quote

hitest wrote:
They look like an aesthetic choice- not necessarily better than stock.
If manipulating the factory parts is hard, I highly doubt aftermarket would be easier or VW would have done it.

I think you simply have straightness issues of your hinge mounts on the car, the brackets, the hinges on the decklid or all of the above. Try mounting two matched, straight pieces of angle iron to the factory car body hinge mounts- have them stick out like two long fork tines parallel. Then see if those two irons remain aligned or need tweeking.

The decklid hinge alignment is also easy to check. Bolt one of those straight angle iron section between two of the decklid bolts. Then simply work the hinges. Does it bind or do the hinges roll smoothly from open to closed?

You see where I'm going with the alignment tests?

Many thanks for the detailed reply Hitest. I had checked with my laser level and some metal flat stock, the alignment of the perches on the rear of the body and they were out in both planes (front-to-rear and side-to-side). The existing U brackets were bent as well. Adding new brackets would have done nothing of any value. I milled up a couple of ally spacers to get the perches set right and fitted new U brackets, removed the worn M6 bolts from the hinges and fitted and tapped M7x1 bolts to stop the old ones sliding in their also worn threads and last, spent lots of time aligning the height and gap of the lid. I would give it just over 8/10 now, which I can live with.

However the available new U brackets are of only fair quality and I was wondering if the design of the Limbug versions had greater strength and/or flexibility in use.

No one used them?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: