Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Weatherstripping with Gowesty ABS front door panels?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
shizzon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2021 2:39 pm    Post subject: Weatherstripping with Gowesty ABS front door panels? Reply with quote

I see that GW recommends using weather stripping to get a rattle free install of their front door ABS panels.

See picture here
https://www.gowesty.com/product/adhesives/24045/weatherstripping-adhesive---for-abs-panels?v=

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I'm worried that putting something like this on the door is going to make it difficult to actually get the panel on because it prevents the panel from being flush with the door. Anyone have any experience with this either way?
Syncronoid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2021 3:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Weatherstripping with Gowesty ABS front door panels? Reply with quote

All you need is the thin weather stripping which is pretty thin, I don't think it will make it harder to put on the panels, at least that's my experience.
shizzon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2021 4:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Weatherstripping with Gowesty ABS front door panels? Reply with quote

Also I guess a related question is whether or not a vapor barrier is still needed. My guess is that the answer is yes, but I notice that in the GW weatherstripping picture above there is no barrier there. I'll probably leave the barrier and put the weatherstripping above it.
erste
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2021 6:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Weatherstripping with Gowesty ABS front door panels? Reply with quote

If you have the barrier, might as well put the weather stripping on top of it. But with ABS panels I wouldn’t worry about the vapor barrier as much. It’s not going to absorb moisture like the factory door panels.
The weather stripping will compress a lot, and it looks like it’s 1/8” thick in that link, so you shouldn’t have any issues getting the panels on.
valvecovergasket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2021 7:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Weatherstripping with Gowesty ABS front door panels? Reply with quote

I don't have their front door panels but used that stuff under basically every other ABS panel in the van and no issues. That stuff gets tiny when it's pressed on.

gone, but not forgotten: '83 tdi westy - swap thread
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: