Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1600DP What Distributor# to use? / UPDATE
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ryans65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 8:43 am    Post subject: Re: 1967 DC What Distributor# to use? Reply with quote

yes, those numbers. I'm not thinking straight this week.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
skip2th
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 9:00 am    Post subject: Re: 1967 DC What Distributor# to use? Reply with quote

Ok I am going to try this again......

my "preservation restoration" Engine...will Eventually....be my factory, original, numbers matching single port.

My CURRENT ENGINE (1600 DP see my original post for details) ((NOT my forever engine)) installed...is purely so I can drive, enjoy my Truck. While building out my original single port.

This DP, I am begging.....anyone..to guide me on what or which correct distributor I should be running with a 34PICT-3 carburetor?
Is running a 34PICT-3 carburetor good or should I be running something else? Not looking for originality on the Dual Port. Seeking what will make for a good driving, running and reliable Dual Port. From what I have to work with. No long trip warrior drives.....just local, 50mph and under mostly. 10-20miles or less every couple days maybe.

I want to purchase a brand new restored / rebuilt carburetor from Tim @
Volkzbitz. He already restored my OG 30PICT-1 (for my SP build).

I am simply...trying....to get someone to say, you need this ****** ****** distributor for your DP & a 34PICT-3 carb....OR..you need this ****** ***** distributor and this ***** ** * carburetor.
Please & Thank You Cool
teahead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 11:19 am    Post subject: Re: 1967 DC What Distributor# to use? Reply with quote

Supposedly this?

Distributor: VW 113-905-205AJ, Bosch 0231 167 049 > 043-905-205C, 0231 176 028
Can Use: VW 113-905-205AN, Bosch 0231 167 070 or 043-905-205C, 0231 176 028
easy e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 1:26 pm    Post subject: Re: 1967 DC What Distributor# to use? Reply with quote

skip2th wrote:
I am simply...trying....to get someone to say, you need this ****** ****** distributor for your DP & a 34PICT-3 carb....OR..you need this ****** ***** distributor and this ***** ** * carburetor.
Please & Thank You Cool
All 34 PICT-3 (and other varieties) should be matched to the distributor they were designed to work with.
People know how to find the distributor number pretty easily.
You have to look a little closer at carbs, for the general body, and then the base flange number (modification state).
Here's a base flange number (sometimes they are on an edge of the bowl).
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

To acquire a matched set, refer to this:
http://members.trainorders.com/android/temp/CarbBaseFlangeNumbersA.doc
tasb
The Distributor Distributor

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 5:41 pm    Post subject: Re: 1967 DC What Distributor# to use? Reply with quote

skip2th wrote:
Ok I am going to try this again......

my "preservation restoration" Engine...will Eventually....be my factory, original, numbers matching single port.

My CURRENT ENGINE (1600 DP see my original post for details) ((NOT my forever engine)) installed...is purely so I can drive, enjoy my Truck. While building out my original single port.

This DP, I am begging.....anyone..to guide me on what or which correct distributor I should be running with a 34PICT-3 carburetor?
Is running a 34PICT-3 carburetor good or should I be running something else? Not looking for originality on the Dual Port. Seeking what will make for a good driving, running and reliable Dual Port. From what I have to work with. No long trip warrior drives.....just local, 50mph and under mostly. 10-20miles or less every couple days maybe.

I want to purchase a brand new restored / rebuilt carburetor from Tim @
Volkzbitz. He already restored my OG 30PICT-1 (for my SP build).

Please & Thank You Cool

I am reading that you feel your question has not been answered. Have you read my reply on page one from May 12th? Seems simple an clear enough. I've suggested you could use the same matched carburetor and distributor ON BOTH engines all you need is an adaptor plate for the dual port, simple.

1965 hardtop Deluxe Microbus owned since 1990 M 620 factory 12 v 1500cc

1961 (October)Single Cab- Road Trip Workhorse
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
skip2th
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 6:22 pm    Post subject: Re: 1967 DC What Distributor# to use? Reply with quote

tasb, Yes thank you for that suggestion. My only issue with that is the "matched distributor" for my original 1500SP is a "205" NON SVDA. So you are saying my "matched distributor & matched carburetor" (30PICT-1) from my SP will carry over directly and work happily with each other, on this DP, with just an adapter?

I have since ordered a restored German Solex 34PICT-3 from Tim. Also a restored German Bosch "034" SVDA and a restored dome top fuel pump from Bill @ Sparx Werks. Both arrive this week. Will be nice to replace these three Chinese parts and see what happens from there.

Next I plan to move forward with my stock single port engine build.
I will be more satisfied once that is back in my bus truck.
tasb

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 10:02 pm    Post subject: Re: 1600DP What Distributor# to use? Reply with quote

Well, you HAD a non issue, you crossed the highway with my suggestion when you purchased the 34 PICT 3. You are now going to have to purchase two different carburetor's and two different distributors. You can flip the adaptor plate and mount the 34 PICT on your single port but it won't be original which is what you said you were after.

Last edited by tasb on Sun May 16, 2021 10:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tasb

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 10:06 pm    Post subject: Re: 1600DP What Distributor# to use? Reply with quote

Your matched distributor for the 1500 is not a "205" by itself because, they are ALL "205's". Mechanical advance, vacuum advance only, single vacuum dual advance, dual vacuum dual advance, it doesn't matter.

It is a VW# 113 905 205 K = Bosch 0 231 137 009 that you will eventually be after for originality. It runs fine on a dual port as long as it's matched to a 30 PICT carburetor and the adaptor plate.

skip2th
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 4:19 pm    Post subject: Re: 1600DP What Distributor# to use? Reply with quote

Thanks to the people that responded with tips and suggestions. I appreciate your time and help.

I purchased a freshly restored German Bosch “034” distributor & correct German dome top fuel pump, from Bill @ Sparx Werks, Gilbert, AZ.
Also a freshly restored German Solex 34PICT-3 carburetor from Tim @ VolkzBitZ

I could not be more satisfied with the result after installing all the new parts.
Finally, everything is “playing nice” with each other, this is the best this engine has run since I acquired it. Also the best my truck has run since it’s reincarnation. Very pleased with the smoothness and more importantly, NO More flat spot / hesitation off line.

Huge Thank You to Bill & Tim! As others know and have already, I highly recommend their services and parts. Both were extremely helpful and made sure I was completely happy.

Alan Brase
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 11:56 am    Post subject: Re: 1600DP What Distributor# to use? Reply with quote

skip2th wrote:
Thanks to the people that responded with tips and suggestions. I appreciate your time and help.

I purchased a freshly restored German Bosch “034” distributor & correct German dome top fuel pump, from Bill @ Sparx Werks, Gilbert, AZ.
Also a freshly restored German Solex 34PICT-3 carburetor from Tim @ VolkzBitZ

I could not be more satisfied with the result after installing all the new parts.
Finally, everything is “playing nice” with each other, this is the best this engine has run since I acquired it. Also the best my truck has run since it’s reincarnation. Very pleased with the smoothness and more importantly, NO More flat spot / hesitation off line.

Huge Thank You to Bill & Tim! As others know and have already, I highly recommend their services and parts. Both were extremely helpful and made sure I was completely happy.

Damn! Looks too purdy to drive!
So it looks like you are running a single vac distributor with the stock 34 carb? Didn't come that way but no reason it should not work as long as the timing is set to make it happy.
My 1971 Dormie that I sold a few years back was similarly equipped and it was easily the nicest running type 1 engine I ever had.
Many good suggestions here and I'd add 2 more, though obviously not the case here:
1. Driveability with all single carb VW motors seriously needs the heat riser passage in the intake manifold to be clear. It should be HOT to the touch in a few minutes.
2. Most every VW fuel pump has a screen in it, right under the dome or cone in the case of the Pierburg. This is a service item and should be checked regularly.
I just wanted to put these two things in the queue.
Beautiful German parts! Glad you got it right!
To New owners: 1969 doublecab, 1971 Dormobile
Vanagons:
80 P27 Westy JUL 1979, 3rd oldest known US
83 1.6TD Vanagon, 87 Wolfie Westy daily driver, swap meet home
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tasb

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 5:43 am    Post subject: Re: 1600DP What Distributor# to use? / UPDATE Reply with quote

He has an "034" installed which is an SVDA. If it was an SVA distributor it would not run correctly with a 34 PICT 3 Solex carburetor.

Alan Brase
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 6:35 pm    Post subject: Re: 1600DP What Distributor# to use? / UPDATE Reply with quote

tasb wrote:
He has an "034" installed which is an SVDA. If it was an SVA distributor it would not run correctly with a 34 PICT 3 Solex carburetor.

Is this an established fact?
I understand it never came that way, as ALL 1971 and up 1600 air cooled vw motors were equipped with dual vacuum distributors and 34 Solex carbs.
But I've owned a 1971 bus that was equipped with a single vacuum distrib and it worked pretty excellently.
I would also agree that if you are subject to inspections that require stock specs, then you need a proper working dual Vac distrib and initial timing set correctly.
but considering about 3/4 of the old type 1 engines I see are fitted with 009's and every one of those I drove ran horribly....
An aside:
Back about 1982 I bought a 1973 bus with automatic. 1700CD code, 62hp. The dual advance can was shot. I tried every work around I could think of including about 3 different distribs. Considering I paid about $450 for the bus, the vac can cost over $100 from the dealer and I was not eager to spend that money. Eventually I relented and then it just ran great. The dual carbs (Solex 32-34 PDSITs) are easily the most difficult to set correctly that I ever dealt with, so with other carbs or FI OR a manual trans it might have been possible, but the off idle response with the automatic was so incredible, one could nearly lift the front tires. Getting it right made it right. So, I'm something of a believer in stock specs.
Vanagons:
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 6:49 pm    Post subject: Re: 1600DP What Distributor# to use? / UPDATE Reply with quote

Alan Brase wrote:
I understand it never came that way, as ALL 1971 and up 1600 air cooled vw motors were equipped with dual vacuum distributors and 34 Solex carbs.
But I've owned a 1971 bus that was equipped with a single vacuum distrib and it worked pretty excellently.

Early 70s came with a vacuum only and some came with a vacuum/mechanical. Some mid 70s came with a vacuum/mechanical and some came with a dual vacuum and mechanical.

It all depends on what carb and what application.

BTW... all original factory German Solex 34PICT-3 had a modification number stamped on the flange. So different modification versions had different distributors paired with them.

It gets a bit complicated.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
Alan Brase
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 7:45 pm    Post subject: Re: 1600DP What Distributor# to use? / UPDATE Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
Alan Brase wrote:

Early 70s came with a vacuum only and some came with a vacuum/mechanical. Some mid 70s came with a vacuum/mechanical and some came with a dual vacuum and mechanical.

It all depends on what carb and what application.

BTW... all original factory German Solex 34PICT-3 had a modification number stamped on the flange. So different modification versions had different distributors paired with them.

It gets a bit complicated.

I know some about carburetors and a little less about distributors.
Glenn knows about as much about distributors as anyone I know and a LOT more than I do.
I realize there are MANY vacuum cans that will interchange with each type and they were different in a few different ways: total advance and the vacuum curve at which it comes in, probably controlled by spring pressure, metering orifice size perhaps and maybe other things I don't even know about. Carb vacuum ports are above the idle position of the throttle blade and below the venturi. Push on the throttle at idle and you get a vacuum signal. Not very precise.
I'm sure the driveability engineers in 1969 did quite a bit of fiddling with the VW on a chassis dyno with inertia drum to get the best advance curve they could come up with. As US market and especially California smog rules became more severe in 1971 and later years it took a LOT more work to get good driveability within those laws.
My guess is that without a dyno and literally dozens of hours of dyno time an enthusiast of today cannot tell the difference between most any of those vacuum cans.
Also, My memory of the performance of GM brands was that they were terrible during that time and the only way to enjoy them was to recurve the advance and rejet the carb. I think VW did better than GM.
But still, if you get it to run well, it is pretty close to perfect.
Vanagons:
tasb

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 8:54 pm    Post subject: Re: 1600DP What Distributor# to use? / UPDATE Reply with quote

Alan Brase wrote:
tasb wrote:

I would also agree that if you are subject to inspections that require stock specs, then you need a proper working dual Vac distrib and initial timing set correctly.
but considering about 3/4 of the old type 1 engines I see are fitted with 009's and every one of those I drove ran horribly....
An aside:
Back about 1982 I bought a 1973 bus with automatic. 1700CD code, 62hp. The dual advance can was shot. I tried every work around I could think of including about 3 different distribs. Considering I paid about $450 for the bus, the vac can cost over $100 from the dealer and I was not eager to spend that money. Eventually I relented and then it just ran great. The dual carbs (Solex 32-34 PDSITs) are easily the most difficult to set correctly that I ever dealt with, so with other carbs or FI OR a manual trans it might have been possible, but the off idle response with the automatic was so incredible, one could nearly lift the front tires. Getting it right made it right. So, I'm something of a believer in stock specs.

Shall we assume that your 1971 had a 34 PICT 3 and a SVA distributor or, was it an SVDA?

A look at the specifications can tell you a lot of factual information:

1970 SVA delivers @ 30 degrees of advance from 80 mm/Hg of vacuum from a 30 PICT series carburetor.

1971 DVDA delivers @ 10 degrees of advance but requires 240 mm/Hg of vacuum to do so from a 34 PICT 3 series carburetor.

They are both cats but, ones a tiger the other is a house cat

tasb

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 9:09 pm    Post subject: Re: 1600DP What Distributor# to use? / UPDATE Reply with quote

Alan, perhaps you are confusing or not differentiating between SVA and SVDA distributors?

Alan Brase
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 9:33 pm    Post subject: Re: 1600DP What Distributor# to use? / UPDATE Reply with quote

tasb wrote:
Alan, perhaps you are confusing or not differentiating between SVA and SVDA distributors?

Please explain!
EDIT, Never mind. Yes, I did know that all early VW vacuum distribs were vacuum only, up until the 1974 bug ones and 1976 2 liter bus, I think. Not sure which my 1971 Dormie had. I sold it 5 years ago.
Definitley had a M157 engine, with 34 Pict-3 carb. So, maybe dual advance.
Vanagons:
tasb

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 10:07 am    Post subject: Re: 1600DP What Distributor# to use? / UPDATE Reply with quote

MA= mechanical advance only SVA= Single vacuum advance only SVDA= single vacuum dual advance DVDA= dual vacuum dual advance

Beetle
1938-1952 MA
1953- 1960 SVDA
1961- 1970 SVA or SVDA from 1968-1969 and 1975-1979 DVDA if auto trans
1971- 1973 DVDA
1974- SVDA or DVDA depending upon 49 states or California and manual trans vs auto
1975-1979 DVDA

Ghia
1955-1958 SVDA
1959- 1970 SVA,
1971- 1973 DVDA
1974- SVDA or DVDA depending upon 49 states or California and manual vs auto

Bus
1950- 1960 MA
1961- 1970 SVA
1971- 1979 SVDA or DVDA, Depending upon 49 states vs CAlif and manual vs auto

Type III
1961- 1967 SVA, 1964 S model= SVDA
1968- 1973 SVDA or DVDA Depending upon 49 states vs CAlif and manual vs auto

TYpe IV
1968- 1974 SVDA or DVDA depending upon 49 states or CAlif and manual vs auto trans.

The above data is for USA delivered vehicles, other places were different. There were more than 83 different distributors used by VW from 1938 to 1979. The 1970 and earlier data is from an "experienced" memory. The data after 1971 is from increasingly complicated data tables so cut me a bit o slack here.

Last edited by tasb on Tue Jun 08, 2021 6:29 pm; edited 6 times in total
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 10:12 am    Post subject: Re: 1600DP What Distributor# to use? / UPDATE Reply with quote

68 Beetle with a autostick had an SVDA.

64 Type 3 with the 1500S engine had a SVDA.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
tasb

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 10:25 am    Post subject: Re: 1600DP What Distributor# to use? / UPDATE Reply with quote

Yes, both reflected in the above table. 1964 S model moved from Ghia listing to Type III (maybe I was thinking a Type III Ghia was an S model Confused ).

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: