Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

New build, Rear Main bearing melt down -Frag - toast... WHY?????
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
cptcrusty1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 6:56 am    Post subject: New build, Rear Main bearing melt down -Frag - toast... WHY????? Reply with quote

HI all;

My friend and I have been basking in the afterglow of having successfully built our 1776 engine. runs like a champ, 32/36 carb was acting like it wanted more than "just" a 200 jet in the Secondary Main, life was good. We pulled the engine to retorque the heads and do a general look through and I just happened to feel the crank move a bit... the wrong way. When I measured, the crang was moving about 1.5mm's, which is much further than it should.

I pull the flywheel, no oil leaking, but... the shims were worn razor thin and two were welded together in one spot. The attached picture shows the condition of the rear bearing as we found it over the weekend.

74mm crank, 110 cam, 87mm p/c, 40mm valve heads, EMPI 32/36 carb, Pertronix ignition, external filter.

We were super careful. We paid very close attention to all the details, going through "the book", etc.

The rods slide back and forth a little, but not forward and backwards, if that makes sense. Haven't split the case yet.

Everything spud freely when the engine was together, no binding so we are certain we didn't pinch a bearing.

The case is one of the "newer" cases from VW with dual relief; however, I did have to put a helicoil into one of the cam bearing studs... that wasn't fun, but it isn't where the problem is.

Any friendly input is very welcome. I've built engines before and my confidence has been kicked in the teeth.

Signed... dejected, frustrated, and really confused.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
vwinnovator
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 7:05 am    Post subject: Re: New build, Rear Main bearing melt down -Frag - toast... WHY????? Reply with quote

That stamping on case indicates .020" align bore..

By change is the trust cut made as well and you used std brgs?
MuzzcoVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 7:16 am    Post subject: Re: New build, Rear Main bearing melt down -Frag - toast... WHY????? Reply with quote

Are you sure the end play was set right? You didn't just throw three shims in without measuring I hope. It sounds like it was tight, or maybe the shims were put in dry?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cptcrusty1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 7:40 am    Post subject: Re: New build, Rear Main bearing melt down -Frag - toast... WHY????? Reply with quote

I had a local engine builder measure the case and the crank (it -was- new) even though it said it was line-bored.

The shims were definitely not put in dry. At least, that was a few weeks ago, so I don't remember 100% and... just because you're asking I'm going to start doubting myself. Since you're asking, let's say I didn't forget, how do they stay lubed? The rear seal didn't have large amounts of oil around it so I've been wondering if the rear oil channel feeding the rear bearing wasn't pushing enough oil... not sure and won't be until I crack the case.

We measured the shims with calipers even though the bag said what they were supposed to be. Also, we measured the end-play with a dial indicator. However again... this is something I've never done before. I always just "used what it had before" when I was younger and dumber and poorer.... so now that I'm doing it right, I screw it up?? UGH.... I'll need to think about this.
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 8:27 am    Post subject: Re: New build, Rear Main bearing melt down -Frag - toast... WHY????? Reply with quote

This might seem like a dumb question, but did you crank and prime until you had oil pressure?

Generally, all the parts should be mocked up on the bench and measured, examined, remeasured, numbers tallied up, pre-assembled, disassembled, measured and reexamined, checking for compatibility and smoothness of operation and clearances before it's all sandwiched into a semi-permanent cluster of an engine.
jpaull
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 8:45 am    Post subject: Re: New build, Rear Main bearing melt down -Frag - toast... WHY????? Reply with quote

Mine looked like that when i set the end play at .0035-.004. Soon as it gets hot and expand there is no where to go, so it grabs the shims and also trys to spin the rear main.
[email protected] MPH 1/4 Mile & 8.1 @ 83.7MPH in 1/8 Mile with Mild Type 1 VW Mag Case 2234cc commuter engine in stock weight bug w/only .491 total lift(CB2292 Cam), 42x37 heads, 48idf's, Street tires, Belt on, Mufflers, Pump gas, video of the run here: https://youtu.be/M3SPqMOKAOg

Transmission by MCMScott:
Rhino case, Klinkenberg 4.12, Superdiff, 002 mainshaft with 091 first idler. Weddle 1.48 Third & 1.14 Fourth.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 10:19 am    Post subject: Re: New build, Rear Main bearing melt down -Frag - toast... WHY????? Reply with quote

rear main gally pluge, blocked off, rear thrust bearing put in backwards. set up to tight, crank got hot fast,many things can go rong.even sliding the flywheel 4' across the floor befor installing it and scraping the thrust serface... possiably forgoted the dowel pin...tear it apart and lettuce know.
cptcrusty1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 11:55 am    Post subject: Re: New build, Rear Main bearing melt down -Frag - toast... WHY????? Reply with quote

Busstom wrote:
This might seem like a dumb question, but did you crank and prime until you had oil pressure?

Generally, all the parts should be mocked up on the bench and measured, examined, remeasured, numbers tallied up, pre-assembled, disassembled, measured and reexamined, checking for compatibility and smoothness of operation and clearances before it's all sandwiched into a semi-permanent cluster of an engine.

That's not a dumb question but... we cranked and cranked, and no oil was coming out of the switch, so I figured I check to see if oil was getting to the external filter. I unscrewed it, cranked and oil came out in about 15 seconds. Plugged it back in then cranked and had oil coming out in a a few seconds more. We THINK that there was some back pressure (or something) keeping the oil from getting past the filter, once it was out of the loop and oil started pumping through the filter mount/pump, it was good. But, we do wonder if this would have been enough time to burn up that rear bearing.... Ultimately though, we did get pressure.
MuzzcoVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 11:57 am    Post subject: Re: New build, Rear Main bearing melt down -Frag - toast... WHY????? Reply with quote

cptcrusty1 wrote:
I had a local engine builder measure the case and the crank (it -was- new) even though it said it was line-bored.

The shims were definitely not put in dry. At least, that was a few weeks ago, so I don't remember 100% and... just because you're asking I'm going to start doubting myself. Since you're asking, let's say I didn't forget, how do they stay lubed? The rear seal didn't have large amounts of oil around it so I've been wondering if the rear oil channel feeding the rear bearing wasn't pushing enough oil... not sure and won't be until I crack the case.

We measured the shims with calipers even though the bag said what they were supposed to be. Also, we measured the end-play with a dial indicator. However again... this is something I've never done before. I always just "used what it had before" when I was younger and dumber and poorer.... so now that I'm doing it right, I screw it up?? UGH.... I'll need to think about this.
That's the best thing to do is take a step back and re assess. Some good possibilities listed above by Mark Tucker. Also in the past with an all original vw engine many times you could just throw stuff together and be close...but not with aftermarket parts, crank etc!! I would look again at how you set the end play, recheck how the bearings fit and double check oiling to the area to start.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ohio Tom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 12:25 pm    Post subject: Re: New build, Rear Main bearing melt down -Frag - toast... WHY????? Reply with quote

Looks like the main is melted.
I have seen that before.
Main oil feed is likely blocked for some reason.
I see alot of silicone on the case split line. That is a big No-No.
Silicone takes up too much space and will hold the case open and the bearings will fit loose. (among other issues).

Or, the silicone got squeezed into an oil passage and is blocking flow.

Or, the main bearing oil groove doesn't line up with the oil feed hole in the case.

All things to check once you get it apart.

Story on using Silicone on case halves:

There once was a guy in PA that folks respected and went to for HiPo builds.

I got to service 3 motors that he had put together. All of them used silicone on the case halves. All of the cases were warped and had to be scrapped. You could lay a straight edge across the case and see it was warped badly.

I was amazed at the crappy workmanship of such a respected builder: JB weld to fix a break-thru; holes plugged with 3/8" bolt JB welded in place (not a pipe plug). Good quality parts, just thrown together.

High HP motors with serious issues that lead to their short lives.
fl59bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 1:14 pm    Post subject: Re: New build, Rear Main bearing melt down -Frag - toast... WHY????? Reply with quote

Ohio Tom wrote:
I have seen that before.
Silicone takes up too much space and will hold the case open and the bearings will fit loose. (among other issues).

Or, the main bearing oil groove doesn't line up with the oil feed hole in the case.

Story on using Silicone on case halves:

There once was a guy in PA that folks respected and went to for HiPo builds.

I got to service 3 motors that he had put together. All of them used silicone on the case halves. All of the cases were warped and had to be scrapped. You could lay a straight edge across the case and see it was warped badly.

I was amazed at the crappy workmanship of such a respected builder: JB weld to fix a break-thru; holes plugged with 3/8" bolt JB welded in place (not a pipe plug). Good quality parts, just thrown together.

High HP motors with serious issues that lead to their short lives.

I knew a guy like this back in my youth in Kernersville, NC. He came highly recommended and did great work, at least before I did business with him. He ended up stealing a counterweighted 69mm SCAT crankshaft I trusted him to install in my 1600 engine (I was a kid and didn't know a wrench from a hole in the ground then, so I outsourced the work). I think he just stopped trying to GAF either due to marital/financial/both troubles and became a shortcut taker and thief.
cptcrusty1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 3:39 pm    Post subject: Re: New build, Rear Main bearing melt down -Frag - toast... WHY????? Reply with quote

Ohio Tom wrote:
I have seen that before.

On the silicone, luckily, we figured that out. That's old silicone from the first time we put the case together, but, we determined we had a problem with something else and took it apart. We scraped/cleaned off the seals since then. Been using the brown stuff since... can't remember what it's called now. Aviation sealant for aircooled engines... Permex stuff...

Main oil feed... definitely worth a look. Groove check.... yup... I thought we checked that. We'll be checking that too.
cptcrusty1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 5:57 am    Post subject: Re: New build, Rear Main bearing melt down -Frag - toast... WHY????? Reply with quote

Ohio Tom;

Been putting lots of thought into this while I recovered from a beeyatch of a cold, and that work thing that keeps happening.

The crank still moves freely. Just wanted to put that out there. Also, I spun the crank and the bearing doesn't move so likely the pin didn't sheer.

I need to determine if my rotating parts are toast. When I took apart the top end, I had a bear of a time getting the wrist pins out of the pistons. The still wobbled up and down like nothing was wrong, but the pins didn't want to come out. I will check if that is because of the rod, or because of the piston.

The rods shift back and forth some, I just don't know what is acceptable, but I'm going to do a full tear down and inspect. I do not feel any forward/back movement in the rods though.

Does any of that mean anything to you? Or anyone...

Here's what kills me. The last 3 times I did this, we had the book, but we just threw things together and it was great. Drove the crap out of it. Beefed it up a couple times more. But this time, I'm being very careful, and something really bad goes wrong... just a confidence killer... wow.
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 7:06 am    Post subject: Re: New build, Rear Main bearing melt down -Frag - toast... WHY????? Reply with quote

Gently warm the piston wristpin bosses with a propane torch or a heat gun.
The wrist pins will slide right out of the pistons.
They don't need to be too hot to touch. Just warmed a little.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: