Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Front chassis cracks
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Indikaper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 4:29 am    Post subject: Front chassis cracks Reply with quote

Hi folks,

I am having vw bug since few years..few years ago I gave it to a body shop to do some tinkering..that stupid bugger did it bad and fogot to fix bolts on front mounts as well..I didn't see it unfortunately.due to that my front chassis got cracks as below...I have to tinker again..but I can't do it now due to financial issues..I have to run few months with this issue..so I need your support..what will be the cheapest way of fixing these cracks..is it repairable??

thanks,
indi
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 9:37 am    Post subject: Re: Front chassis cracks Reply with quote

Indi,
Where are these cracks located. The pics look somewhat like they are located on the inner fender wells.
Perhaps you can post a couple more. With the camera a little further away from the cracked area.

If the cracks are on the tunnel, near the frame head. This could be a real issue that needs addressing right away.

If it's in the fender wells. You can monitor the cracks until funds come available for a proper repair. But be aware that the body strength can be compromised.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 10:14 am    Post subject: Re: Front chassis cracks Reply with quote

I really do hope that's not where I think it is. Shocked Those pictures appear to be the inside of the tunnel behind the emergency brake -- the two nutplates located on the pinched-in area are for the front seatbelts. That would mean not only is there a very sizeable hole in the tunnel's bottom plate, but also that the tunnel is practically cracked in half in the middle of the car.
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 10:42 am    Post subject: Re: Front chassis cracks Reply with quote

WOW! Never seen a crack like that on the tunnel! I hope I am seeing this wrong.

Can you take 2 giant steps back and give some perspective of the area?

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
Indikaper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 9:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Front chassis cracks Reply with quote

Thanks guys.. for all the replies...

@67rustavenger

Your second guess is right. Those cracks are on the tunnel near frame head. Bottom plate is not available due to rust. That’s why i can get a picture..i took it underneath. How can i repair it? is it repairable?

@mukluk
This is not the area of hand brake brother. This is right below the firewall..

@VW_Jimbo

There is nothing WOW feeling for me.. Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad ...looks huge trouble brother..i wonder nobody post such thing earlier in this forum..i have driven the car around 40mph without two front mount bolts. Likely i am alive Laughing Laughing i can't still believe how i survived with such crack. Miracle.. isn’t it?

Thanks,
indi
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 10:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Front chassis cracks Reply with quote

Spelled it wrong. My brain is great numerically, but linguistically is a challenge. I meant WHOA!!!!

So, with that....

WHOA!!!!!

The Frame head, comes as a complete assembly. As long as you jig it correctly, you can cut the old one off and weld a new one in.

It’s not an easy job, but it is doable, if you have the brain and the tools!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
scrivyscriv
Samba Electrician

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 11:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Front chassis cracks Reply with quote

There was a thread here a few months back with similar cracks but I can't recall the details. Stop drill the ends, grind the cracks out the thickness of a cutoff wheel, and weld it in several passes with cooling time in between.

The structure there is big and complex enough that you shouldn't see too much metal movement but welding will induce stress and will move the metal around some - it is just sheet metal after all. A stress relieving technique is to weld some, then tap the area with a body hammer to slightly relax the metal back down, and blow it off with air to cool it.
If you're ever in the Memphis area, you are welcome to stop by for advice and help.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Indikaper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 11:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Front chassis cracks Reply with quote

VW_Jimbo wrote:
Spelled it wrong. My brain is great numerically, but linguistically is a challenge. I meant WHOA!!!!

So, with that....

WHOA!!!!!

The Frame head, comes as a complete assembly. As long as you jig it correctly, you can cut the old one off and weld a new one in.

It’s not an easy job, but it is doable, if you have the brain and the tools!

Thanks VW__Jimbo for your advice...
Just kidding i got your feeling.. lol Very Happy
Actually this is not frame head..it is on tunnel..we are not having that comfort .In US or eurpe i know there are plenty of places for new items as well as doner chassis..i am in the country called Sri Lanka..and less parts we have..
Indikaper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 12:15 am    Post subject: Re: Front chassis cracks Reply with quote

scrivyscriv wrote:
There was a thread here a few months back with similar cracks but I can't recall the details. Stop drill the ends, grind the cracks out the thickness of a cutoff wheel, and weld it in several passes with cooling time in between.

The structure there is big and complex enough that you shouldn't see too much metal movement but welding will induce stress and will move the metal around some - it is just sheet metal after all. A stress relieving technique is to weld some, then tap the area with a body hammer to slightly relax the metal back down, and blow it off with air to cool it.

Thanks scrivyscriv for the instruction,

Unfortunatley i am not having either welding plants or welding capability to do so.anyhow i think i should have MIG welder to do that..therefore i have to get support from an expert..what about attaching round piece of metal along the crack area and weld it to tunnel both sides..? thanks
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 12:24 am    Post subject: Re: Front chassis cracks Reply with quote

scrivyscriv wrote:
There was a thread here a few months back with similar cracks but I can't recall the details.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9584785&highlight=#9584785

Indi, I was going to say that, in your case, it's probably better to scrap it and get a donor pan, but it sounds like you've already considered your options. From the pics, it looks like there are some significant rust issues, and if so, that may be part of the problem if it's getting weaker in some areas. Best of luck no matter how you decide to handle it.
Indikaper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 10:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Front chassis cracks Reply with quote

Busstom wrote:
scrivyscriv wrote:
There was a thread here a few months back with similar cracks but I can't recall the details.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9584785&highlight=#9584785

Indi, I was going to say that, in your case, it's probably better to scrap it and get a donor pan, but it sounds like you've already considered your options. From the pics, it looks like there are some significant rust issues, and if so, that may be part of the problem if it's getting weaker in some areas. Best of luck no matter how you decide to handle it.

Thanks buddy..due to the lack of resources available in my country..i gonna go for a weld repair..anyway i hope i have to seperate pan and body first..will see..do you know what is the thickness of metal in the chassis. Specially tunnel,head,side panel..etc...? Thx
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 6:29 am    Post subject: Re: Front chassis cracks Reply with quote

Any chance that is some type of undercoating that has flaked/cracked? Can you actually see light coming thru the other side?
'67 Beetle #1 {project car that never made it to the road Sad }
'75 Beetle 1200LS (RHD Japan model) {junked due to frame rot}
'67 Beetle #2 {2019 project car - Wish me luck!}
Indikaper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 1:32 am    Post subject: Re: Front chassis cracks Reply with quote

here is what welder did as temporarily solution..any idea? is this workable? since it is 17$ work.. Laughing
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: