Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Stalling issue
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
85NESplayer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 3:17 pm    Post subject: Stalling issue Reply with quote

Hey guys, what’s up! I’m 85NESplayer, and I have been a lurker here on these forums for a few months, and have been learning a few things around here, but I haven’t posted anything yet until now.

So here is my problem: I have a 1960 VW Beetle with a 1970 1600cc (?) engine in it, and it has been running quite well until I decided to mess around with it. I decided to change the fuel hoses and took off the fuel pump and carburetor in the process. I noticed that the choke butterfly valve was bent, so I removed the top half of the carb, straightened the valve up, and put the carb back together. I re-install the carb and fuel pump (with new gaskets), hooked up the fuel lines with a new filter, and drove it around the block.

The bug made it halfway around the block when it decided to die out. The car refused to start up, and I end up pushing it back to my driveway. I had a similar issue not too long ago, and replacing the fuel pump cured the problem then. So, I exchanged the fuel pump (despite the fact that the old one was just purchased four months ago!), and installed the new one.

No luck! The issue still persists, and I am not sure what to do now. The car started up fine today, and I was able to drive it up and down the street before it started to die out again. The engine then seemed to be running rough at idle (as if it was not getting enough power, and it had a tendency to stall) and died right before I reached the driveway. Any suggestions?

Thank you.
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 3:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Stalling issue Reply with quote

You need to verify the choke is opening up. It sounds like it may be staying shut.

Did you reconnect the wire from it to the "15" side of the coil. That would be the hot side, where power comes in from the ignition switch.

Thats my first thought. Good luck!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
85NESplayer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 5:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Stalling issue Reply with quote

Yes, the choke does open up and all the cables are where they should be.
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 5:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Stalling issue Reply with quote

Disclaimer: This assumes you have compression, since the engine does run.

You need to figure out what path to chase fuel or spark. So, go for a drive. When it dies, get out, take a can of starting fluid and spray some down the throat of the carb. Now go try and start it up. If it starts up, you have a lack of fuel. If it does not start up, you have fuel but no spark.

So, pull a plug wire and insert a new spark plug. Secure the body of the spark plug to the case and have a helper (your passenger) try and crank the car. You should be watching for a spark to jump across the spark plug gap. If it does, you have spark. If not, you do not have spark. You need to find out why.

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
Igpoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 6:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Stalling issue Reply with quote

Did you buy or order a fuel pump to work on a '60 model or a 70 model? The one is driven by a 108mm steel rod and the other from a 100mm rod. Hence, if your rod is too short it wont be pumping nearly enough fuel. About a half a normal city block is what the capacity of the float bowl would take you without fuel pump help!
85NESplayer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 6:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Stalling issue Reply with quote

VW_Jimbo wrote:
Disclaimer: This assumes you have compression, since the engine does run.

You need to figure out what path to chase fuel or spark. So, go for a drive. When it dies, get out, take a can of starting fluid and spray some down the throat of the carb. Now go try and start it up. If it starts up, you have a lack of fuel. If it does not start up, you have fuel but no spark.

So, pull a plug wire and insert a new spark plug. Secure the body of the spark plug to the case and have a helper (your passenger) try and crank the car. You should be watching for a spark to jump across the spark plug gap. If it does, you have spark. If not, you do not have spark. You need to find out why.

I took it around the block, and to my surprise, the car did not stall. I then proceeded to drive it approximately three more miles, and it finally stalled. I put some starter fluid down the carb throat, and the car started right up, allowing me to drive back home. I guess something is improving...

Igpoe wrote:
Did you buy or order a fuel pump to work on a '60 model or a 70 model? The one is driven by a 108mm steel rod and the other from a 100mm rod. Hence, if your rod is too short it wont be pumping nearly enough fuel. About a half a normal city block is what the capacity of the float bowl would take you without fuel pump help!

That is an interesting theory, but the fuel pumps I had were both the same '60's model (the single screw-top generator variety). I reused the fuel pump rod, as it worked before I took everything apart.
AirHead1966
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 7:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Stalling issue Reply with quote

I would start by cleaning and then re cleaning the carb. Seems to me, since you were able to start it with starting fluid, and that your troubles started with messing with the carb, that you have some gunk in the carb that is blocking the fuel.

Clean the carb, clean it again, change all the gaskets and try again. May need to adjust the carb as well once you get it running.
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 10:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Stalling issue Reply with quote

You should go for another drive and check the fuel pump output after it stalls. Let’s see if it is the carb or the pump!

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
goober
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 4:52 am    Post subject: Re: Stalling issue Reply with quote

Don't forget, the gas tank has to vent.
Michael Ambrozik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 8:38 am    Post subject: Re: Stalling issue Reply with quote

is the fuel filter installed correctly.
Igpoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 9:31 am    Post subject: Re: Stalling issue Reply with quote

Since we imagine some things incorrectly, could we get a photograph of your engine compartment?
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 10:38 am    Post subject: Re: Stalling issue Reply with quote

What size hoses did you buy? If they just slip on you are probably sucking air and not gas from the tank, you can remove the hose to the carb and put it in a bottle and have someone crank the motor and watch for a good stream of gas.
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 11:44 am    Post subject: Re: Stalling issue Reply with quote

Starbucket wrote:
What size hoses did you buy? If they just slip on you are probably sucking air and not gas from the tank, you can remove the hose to the carb and put it in a bottle and have someone crank the motor and watch for a good stream of gas.

Echo! Echo! Echo echo echo echo echo...................

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
85NESplayer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 12:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Stalling issue Reply with quote

goober wrote:
Don't forget, the gas tank has to vent.

The gas tank does have a vent hose installed, and it is properly routed.
Michael Ambrozik wrote:
is the fuel filter installed correctly.

The fuel filter is properly installed (with the fuel direction arrow pointing to the carburetor).
Starbucket wrote:

The hose that I purchased was a “Flennor Multi-Fuel Hose 5mm Braided” type, purchased from Belmetric.
Igpoe wrote:
Since we imagine some things incorrectly, could we get a photograph of your engine compartment?

That probably wouldn't be a bad idea. When I get back home, I will take a picture and upload it here.
VW_Jimbo wrote:
You should go for another drive and check the fuel pump output after it stalls. Let’s see if it is the carb or the pump!

I will also try that when I return home.
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 1:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Stalling issue Reply with quote

Did you replace the hose under the gas tank? The tank pick-up or that small piece of hose might be clogged with sediment preventing the flow or restricting it to a dribble, remove the hose to the fuel pump from the tank and blow in it and with gas cap removed have a helper listen for bubbles. Your problem sounds like gas starvation probably why you changed the fuel pump in the first place.
85NESplayer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 3:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Stalling issue Reply with quote

Here are two pictures from the engine bay of my Bug...
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Igpoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 4:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Stalling issue Reply with quote

Looking closely I can see the intake heat risers aren't connected to the exhaust. I dont know what part of CA this bug is operated in, but the atomised fuel charge is likely falling out of suspension soon after passing the butterfly. It's not gonna run well as far north as San Francisco for sure as that air filter isn't getting heated air from the original collector either. Whatever happened to stock parts? Are they illegal in CA?
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 5:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Stalling issue Reply with quote

From experience, anytime I see a loose metal fuel line resting on the cylinder tin, I think, “Vapor lock!”.

Try attaching the fuel line as designed. It was secured to the fan shroud retaining bolt on the left hand side of the shroud. This maintains a nice air space around the metallic supply tubing, which keeps the fuel from turning to vapor when the engine reaches normal operating temperature.

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
goober
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 5:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Stalling issue Reply with quote

There it is right there. It's your grungy air filter.
Igpoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 5:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Stalling issue Reply with quote

On a more positive note, I'm thinking this motor at this point is a perfect candidate for a conversion to dual one barrels! Plenty of room and they wouldn't need the chokes or pre-heat
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: