Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1966 velvet green so42 tintop
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
earlybayjim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 8:48 pm    Post subject: Re: 1966 velvet green so42 tintop Reply with quote

BarryL wrote:
The rear engine tin is rare '66 only. It could be the original engine.

Is that why it has an extra hole? Engine code starts with "HO"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 7:05 am    Post subject: Re: 1966 velvet green so42 tintop Reply with quote

It "might" be the original engine, A factory "birth certificate" from VW will be the only way to confirm that.

As to Westfalia interior, you could slowly piece-by-piece buy and add stuff until you have it back to original if you have the funds and patience, but if it was me, I'd do as was suggested earlier, have the Powers guys build you one of their interiors for $2500 give or take. You'd be almost instantly fully vintage camper functional. Freshen up your five Westy louver windows and buy a set of the perfectly reproduced camper curtains.

I'm right downriver from you and host the BNNTA camping weekend near Hannibal, MO on Labor Day weekend in Sept. Come on down and camp and play with all of us in that old Camper!

Bill
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 6:28 pm    Post subject: Re: 1966 velvet green so42 tintop Reply with quote

earlybayjim wrote:
BarryL wrote:

earlybayjim wrote:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

That isn't an extra hole it is the hole. The little hole on the right is '66 only. Before '66 it was on the left with a long hose crossing over. The '66 is a short hose from the aircleaner preheat. There should be a rare pipe below the tin too.
'67 had no holes as the hose went forward another way.

Your bottom pulley and the H0 are good signs you are near original. What is the rest of the H0 number?
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 7:14 pm    Post subject: Re: 1966 velvet green so42 tintop Reply with quote

I would recommend not wasting much money on the wrong camper kit. The SO-22/SO-33 kit would make the walkthrough mostly useless. If you can get a cheap bay kit, then it will look somewhat correct. Otherwise, hold out for the right stuff. And the most expensive hardest to find piece of the kit, the icebox, will be in the way every time you open the forward cargo door.
VWoA literature and early dealership or distributor literature/pictures/information
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
von_hansel Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 8:41 am    Post subject: Re: 1966 velvet green so42 tintop Reply with quote

Lind wrote:
And the most expensive hardest to find piece of the kit, the icebox, will be in the way every time you open the forward cargo door.

Dude tell me about it. Ever have too many beers the night before and have to wake up in the middle of the night to pee? That icebox sure is an obstacle when you are half a sleep trying to get out the door.

EarlybayJim:
Sweet score! I also concur with Lind regarding purchasing an SO42 kit as they are easy to find pieces in the Classifieds on this site.

Currently, there are three "complete"(the sellers words, not mine) kits in the classifieds. Two are for bench seat, and one is a walk through. Unfortunately the walkthrough kit currently says pending. You could purchase the bench seat set and try trading the rear facing seat and icebox to someone for a walk through version of them. There are also individual pieces in the classifieds including a closet, big table, door table, headbanger, and a walkthrough rear facing seat.

Whatever direction you decide to go with, I hope you are able to get it on the road quickly so you can enjoy driving it this summer.
AC Mack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 9:37 am    Post subject: Re: 1966 velvet green so42 tintop Reply with quote

With some patience and luck. I'd imagine one could assemble the original SO42 kit piece by piece. The reproduction kits are nice. At $2500 though I think an original kit is possible to assemble cheaper? Maybe not @ 2021 prices. Nice Bus BTW.
1966 Westfalia so42 Schiebedach fabrik 4864
1967 Model 231 EZ Kamper # 1940
1978 Westfalia P 31 / 1987 Westfalia Wolfram Grau
Split Bus Club / Lost Coast Bays / North Coast Vans
Long may that Split Bus run!
Always and Everywhere Volkswagen
earlybayjim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 6:49 am    Post subject: Re: 1966 velvet green so42 tintop Reply with quote

Lind wrote:
I would recommend not wasting much money on the wrong camper kit. The SO-22/SO-33 kit would make the walkthrough mostly useless. If you can get a cheap bay kit, then it will look somewhat correct. Otherwise, hold out for the right stuff. And the most expensive hardest to find piece of the kit, the icebox, will be in the way every time you open the forward cargo door.

Yep I dont want to block the walk through and I already have some workable bay interior stuff so I might as well use that.

von_hansel wrote:
Lind wrote:
And the most expensive hardest to find piece of the kit, the icebox, will be in the way every time you open the forward cargo door.

Dude tell me about it. Ever have too many beers the night before and have to wake up in the middle of the night to pee? That icebox sure is an obstacle when you are half a sleep trying to get out the door.

EarlybayJim:
Sweet score! I also concur with Lind regarding purchasing an SO42 kit as they are easy to find pieces in the Classifieds on this site.

Currently, there are three "complete"(the sellers words, not mine) kits in the classifieds. Two are for bench seat, and one is a walk through. Unfortunately the walkthrough kit currently says pending. You could purchase the bench seat set and try trading the rear facing seat and icebox to someone for a walk through version of them. There are also individual pieces in the classifieds including a closet, big table, door table, headbanger, and a walkthrough rear facing seat.

Whatever direction you decide to go with, I hope you are able to get it on the road quickly so you can enjoy driving it this summer.

I agree with you both on the icebox. Its terrible on an early bay too. Sadly I won't be going to hard at this bus right away due to time and funds. I have a vanagon subaru swap to get done this summer that I've already committed to so the early bays will get plenty of miles in the mean time!
earlybayjim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 7:22 am    Post subject: Re: 1966 velvet green so42 tintop Reply with quote

Last week we did have some time to do a few things...

The driver side rear wheel cylinder was leaking really bad. I had a pair on the shelf already because our other buses use the same.

Once I got the brakes working properly, It started running terribly. Not sure what changed, but I found the oil level was way high! I drained it immediately and took the carb off to attempt a rebuild. More to come.

Also, my wife got an industrial sewing machine a while back. She really wanted to try doing a bus seat. We had this vinyl laying around. I wish I got a picture of her sewing it instead of the one she took of me putting it on as she's a lot better looking! I think it turned out great!

The padding was still decent on this part so we opted to reuse it.

Currently she's working on the bottom portion.
Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 8:21 am    Post subject: Re: 1966 velvet green so42 tintop Reply with quote

BarryL wrote:
earlybayjim wrote:
BarryL wrote:

earlybayjim wrote:

That isn't an extra hole it is the hole. The little hole on the right is '66 only. Before '66 it was on the left with a long hose crossing over. The '66 is a short hose from the aircleaner preheat. There should be a rare pipe below the tin too.

Your bottom pulley and the H0 are good signs you are near original. What is the rest of the H0 number?

you can look up your engine number:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/chassisdating.php
my 66 kombi, with right side hole for pre-heat to air cleaner:
The pre-heat really helps the bus run better in damp, cool weather. I flip the pre- heat lever to off when the weather tends to stay above about 70F. It is in 'winter' position below

Your roof panels look original, the lower ones do not.

If you are patient and keep your eyes open, you can piece together an SO-42 interior. An early bay hideabed is very similar, and fits, and has a better support than the SO-42. The closet is a bit long, but can be shortened.

I had an SO-42 and liked the icebox, but I understand people can find it tricky to open both side doors to get in or out. Same thing with the early campingbox, unless you have a cargo doors left model.
We outfitted the 66 kombi as a Westfakia SO-42, with a bay hideabed, SO-42 closet, SO-42 headbanger, SO-42 rear facing seat (that gets removed from time to time when carrying large items) and an SO45 spice rack.

IIRC, a bay headbanger does not fit a split.

If the oil level suddenly gets higher, check to see if it smells like gas. Gas in the oil tends to mean a bad fuel pump. It is bad for the bearings, they say

I like a Velvet Green westy! Smile
mtnbus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 7:19 am    Post subject: Re: 1966 velvet green so42 tintop Reply with quote

Good lookin Bus !
congrats
earlybayjim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 4:55 pm    Post subject: Re: 1966 velvet green so42 tintop Reply with quote

Clara wrote:
BarryL wrote:
earlybayjim wrote:
BarryL wrote:

earlybayjim wrote:

you can look up your engine number:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/chassisdating.php
my 66 kombi, with right side hole for pre-heat to air cleaner:
The pre-heat really helps the bus run better in damp, cool weather. I flip the pre- heat lever to off when the weather tends to stay above about 70F. It is in 'winter' position below

Your roof panels look original, the lower ones do not.

If you are patient and keep your eyes open, you can piece together an SO-42 interior. An early bay hideabed is very similar, and fits, and has a better support than the SO-42. The closet is a bit long, but can be shortened.

I had an SO-42 and liked the icebox, but I understand people can find it tricky to open both side doors to get in or out. Same thing with the early campingbox, unless you have a cargo doors left model.
We outfitted the 66 kombi as a Westfakia SO-42, with a bay hideabed, SO-42 closet, SO-42 headbanger, SO-42 rear facing seat (that gets removed from time to time when carrying large items) and an SO45 spice rack.

IIRC, a bay headbanger does not fit a split.

If the oil level suddenly gets higher, check to see if it smells like gas. Gas in the oil tends to mean a bad fuel pump. It is bad for the bearings, they say

I like a Velvet Green westy! Smile

Thanks for the picture of your engine, thats really helpful!
I'll probably do something similar to that for an interior!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: