Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

78 vert door window kicks back when almost fully up
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 12:38 pm    Post subject: 78 vert door window kicks back when almost fully up Reply with quote

Working on a really nice 78 vert. Passenger window frame was loose on the glass so I installed a new seal and got it all together properly. (4 ratchet straps are wonderful for this). Anyway, when you roll the window up, goes well until the last couple inches, then it starts to move back at at the top away from the vent frame. The window was messed up when the customer bought the car, so was it ever right? Who knows.

The initial thought was the regulator is not pushing the rear of the window enough. I slotted the regulator mounting holes a little and rotated the regulator slightly and it seemed to help a little, but not enough.

The bushings and all that for the window frame to regulator are in good shape. Also, when I thought I almost had it, the window pulled out of the bottom channel, so, got that back in with a little adhesive. Back to where I started.

The rear top "seal" that goes at the end of the window opening slot on tehe top of teh door is missing, so gonna see if I have one, but I really don't think that is going to help. This is the last thing I need to do on the car and I can send it home.

I did search and have not found an answer.
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 3:12 pm    Post subject: Re: 78 vert door window kicks back when almost fully up Reply with quote

Is the felt at the top of the window pinched forcing the glass out, maybe rub a birthday candle on the felt to lube it unless the frame is pinched then you will need to pry it out.
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 4:59 am    Post subject: Re: 78 vert door window kicks back when almost fully up Reply with quote

Convertible
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 7:21 am    Post subject: Re: 78 vert door window kicks back when almost fully up Reply with quote

I was talking about the top of the channel the wind wing closes on. As the glass slides up that channel it would be pushed out.
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 10:39 am    Post subject: Re: 78 vert door window kicks back when almost fully up Reply with quote

I believe I found it - window was not fully seated in bottom rail.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: