Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

My 1971 Westy/Dormobile (SO 69/7) - Juliett
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
DocNexil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 6:02 pm    Post subject: My 1971 Westy/Dormobile (SO 69/7) - Juliett Reply with quote

Hello, I'm pretty new here and I wanted to make a sort of introduction/build thread for my bus (and me, I guess). I've made a few posts here already and I'm excited to throw myself into the community.

(There's a big list at the end, feel free to skip it)

A brief bit about me:
My dad has been in the VW game since before I was born (I'm 19). So from an early age I was helping him do work on them and now I'm lucky enough to have one of my own! I'm now starting to learn more about these cars and I know there will always be new things to learn.

The history of my bus as far I know it currently:
- Manufactured on September 24, 1970.
- Converted into a camper.
- ???
- My dad bought her about 10 years ago from northern Utah.
- Late 2018 I inherited her (my dad's fine, he's got a 1960 bus).
I really want to find out more of the history from before my dad had her, but he doesn't remember the person or place he bought her from. I suspect this will be a difficult task.
- Her name comes from her old license plate, which began with a "J". In the phonetic alphabet, "J" is "Juliett". It's got 2 T's (T2 anyone? Razz) so that French speakers don't mistake it for a silent letter.

Ok, time for some pictures!
Sorry about the interior picture quality, I let someone borrow my good camera and didn't realize that I've never taken pictures of the inside.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I've got a rebuilt engine which at the time of this posting has about 100 miles on it. On the way to Buses By the Bridge 2020, this engine somehow starved for oil and developed a knock. I was caravanning with my dad and in the span of 7 hours we towed my bus to a VW friend's house nearby, made a trip home and back to grab a spare engine, and installed it. Unfortunately it was a dual carb set up and we had to remove the oil bath stand and the heater to fit it. The heater, according to the M-Plate, was stock but we didn't know that yet haha. I had never used it so I sold it at BBB. Anyway, that's why there's a bunch of open space in there now.

She's got a Dormobile camper top, and Westfalia interior. For a while I thought that a PO must've put in the Westy interior but (and I probably need to do some more research about this) I found this plate that I now keep on my keychain.

Now, if I'm correct here, Westfalia did the interior AND put the Dormobile top on. Please correct me if I'm wrong. I've also got the M-Plate decoded

Alright, now in the more "build" bit, I've created a list of everything that I want to do or fix on her. The most pressing issue is the body and paint work. The guy my dad took her to did a right awful job, and though it looked very nice and pretty at first, it is literally coming apart now. This was less than 5 or 7 years ago, I don't quite remember.

The most egregious section, right behind the driver's door:

The difference in color from the part of the roof protected from the sun and rain:

I've got the parts and canvas for the top but haven't put it back together because the guy who made the new cots didn't realize that one end is wider than the other, so one cot doesn't open all the way and the other cot has a big rip in it.

The good news:
- She is in running condition. She helps me get to work or grab groceries, and is perfect for a quick 20 minute drive out of town for an overnight camping trip.
- The clutch is new.
- The interior is original paint so it looks better than the outside.
- The wood floor my dad put in is still great.
- I still have everything to reassemble my Dormy top.
- The Westy bed is good as ever, and the re-upholstery work is very nice and comfy.
- The vacuum assisted brakes work well.

The "To Do" list.
Everything that I can think of that will need to be done. I have a google doc with it color coded, but for here I'll but it as such:
Important - MUST be done asap
Eventual - The things I want/need but can wait
Undecided - The things that I haven't totally made my mind up on.

-- Body: --
- Fix rust and bondo
- New paint - same color?
- Fix gas pedal hinge - It's ok now, but has caused problems in the past
- New passenger mirror
- New dormobile window seals - My windows leak when it rains Mad
- Adjust sliding door + reinstall rail cover
- Reinstall emblem
- Adjust driver window
- New passenger wiper assembly
- New locks/handles
- New dormobile top seal
- Fix/install antenna

-- Electrical: --
- Reroute horn button - It's currently hooked up to a light switch under the dash Razz
- Fix turn signals - Right signal only sparsely works. It's something with the main switch thing.
- Organize general wiring - It's a mess Shocked
- Fix speedometer - It bit the dust recently
- Adjust fog lights
- Finalize front speakers, install rear
- Add interior lights
- Fix ignition switch + new key - Some PO wired a new switch into the dash left of the steering wheel instead of fixing the original.
- Install new heater

-- Cosmetic: --
- Re-do interior panels - My dad put in maps which was cool but they unfortunately have taken a beating so if I do maps again I need something to keep them protected.
- Build/buy seat stand mats
- Finish jump seat upholstery
- Build/install sink/cabinet
- Refurbish Westy interior
- Make/install curtains
- Fix dormobile cots
- Fix cab child cot - It's got a hole in it that a patch can probably fix, but it might be better to just get a new one made.
- Reinstall dormobile canvas
- Add roof racks - I know a guy who builds these and can likely make some that fit with my Dormy top.
- Build/install spice cabinet
- Build/install cupholder
- New window rollers
- New driver door interior handle cover
- New inner sliding door handle

Whew! If you read all that, I thank you for your patience. Thank you for reading and I hope to be back soon. Please leave a comment about anything I can improve on or change. Cheers!

Last edited by DocNexil on Thu May 27, 2021 12:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
61Ragster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 6:35 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1971 Westy/Dormobile - Juliett Reply with quote

Love your German Lego man in lederhosen!!
Nice Bay as well. Lots of potential there. Enjoy !
61Ragster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 6:41 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1971 Westy/Dormobile - Juliett Reply with quote

Deleted double posting. (Recurring ODNT* Syndrome)
*Old Dog New Trick
ImAddicted
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 7:12 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1971 Westy/Dormobile - Juliett Reply with quote

Fuel lines? How old? If that answer is a) I don’t know or b) sometime before you got it, move to top of list.
Original condition, which means something different on this forum than anywhere else!
Mberglo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 7:22 am    Post subject: Re: My 1971 Westy/Dormobile - Juliett Reply with quote

Welcome!

I recommend more fuel filters. Smile
DocNexil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2021 7:20 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1971 Westy/Dormobile - Juliett Reply with quote

Recently tried refreshing my paint with some wax and the results were great! Just lightly brushing my paint used to leave red on my hands. Now I don't have to worry about staining things red and I can see some reflections in there again!

Before:

After:

Just a temporary fix, but it made her look nice and pretty for a car show that was held here recently. Since my dad didn't go, I was the only bus. There were 2 beetles, however.

My desire for reinstalling my Dormobile roof canvas finally got to me and I spent an afternoon with some friends to attach it to the roof cap. We actually had to take it completely off the bus first and I forgot to take pictures. Mad

I still need to finish attaching it to the roof of the bus itself, but I'm very happy with it!

I also discovered recently that Dormobile still makes reproduction items and I'll be ordering some new cots since my old ones were made too small and ripped. Plus, it's cheaper than the quote from my local upholstery shop. Confused

As for the fuel lines some of you mentioned before, they are pretty new, but I'll be looking for some longer ones to remove the fuel filters from the compartment.

Thanks for reading folks!
DocNexil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 8:58 am    Post subject: Re: My 1971 Westy/Dormobile (SO 69/7) - Juliett Reply with quote

My CV joint popped out again, and it's because it hasn't been properly fixed since the first time it happened (not original bolts, different washers, etc). This time a bolt broke and left a piece of itself inside the outermost connection point. So I'm going to try drilling it out later, maybe try a left hand drill bit, but right now I'm trying to find more of the stock style serrated washers. Does anyone know what the part number for these are?
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 9:03 am    Post subject: Re: My 1971 Westy/Dormobile (SO 69/7) - Juliett Reply with quote

There’s definitely a thread in this forum on the correct washer, but after a few quick searches I did not find it. Bum deal about your broken bolt, good luck dishing it out.
’65 Deluxe Build
DocNexil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 9:14 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1971 Westy/Dormobile (SO 69/7) - Juliett Reply with quote

richparker wrote:
There’s definitely a thread in this forum on the correct washer, but after a few quick searches I did not find it. Bum deal about your broken bolt, good luck dishing it out.

I'll need all the luck I can get, CV stuff is always a challenge haha. Mainly because of the grease. I'll need to pick up some gloves so I don't destroy my hands scrubbing them clean afterward. Again.

On the plus side, I found out the part numbers! Wolfsburg West wasn't loading for me this morning but it seems fine now. A quick search for "cv" brought up everything. They carry both the bolts and the washers I'm looking for. Good thing I only need 6 of each (my other 3 sets are still original). Maybe I'll grab some extras for the future, too. This time I will tighten then correctly and with the standard parts. Smile

For future samba surfers:
CV JOINT BOLT PART NUMBER:
113501229D

Can be bought here.

CV JOINT LOCK WASHER (SERRATED WASHER) PART NUMBER:
N153711

Can be bought here.
DocNexil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 8:05 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1971 Westy/Dormobile (SO 69/7) - Juliett Reply with quote

How soon should I be worrying about these spots? It doesn't rain very often here but the bus is parked out in the elements.

It looks like this above the drip rail the whole way round

I'm not sure how much of this is bondo, but the last body work guy loved the stuff so who knows.

Driver's side under the cargo floor. I didn't know about this until maybe a month ago Shocked

This spot goes under the rail as well

Alan Brase
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 10:27 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1971 Westy/Dormobile (SO 69/7) - Juliett Reply with quote

Yes, to your first question, this is a Wesfalia built unit, possibly SO-69, with the Dormobile top option.
this is COMPLETELY different from a full Dormobile built camper, which is rarely seen in LHD and rarer still in the USA. The full dormie flipped the top the other way, AND the top opening was 12 or more inches further forward.
Here's a picture of the one I sold in 2015:

WRT your fix up plan, I'd try to match the paint and just spot in the rust spots. Treat the bare metal with OSPHO or some other phosphoric acid treatment, mask off a bit more and just use paint brush or air brush to touch up the rust spots. You can do amazing work with a paint brush, then level and buff it later.
Certainly in a few years, you'll do a better repair job.
There is absolutely no better camper view than from the cot of a Dormobile.
Enjoy.
FWIW, yes, that's my front yard.
To New owners: 1969 doublecab, 1971 Dormobile
Vanagons:
80 P27 Westy JUL 1979, 3rd oldest known US
83 1.6TD Vanagon, 87 Wolfie Westy daily driver, swap meet home
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DocNexil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2021 2:50 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1971 Westy/Dormobile (SO 69/7) - Juliett Reply with quote

Alan Brase wrote:

FWIW, yes, that's my front yard.

Shocked Nice place! Nice bus, too. Hope it went to a good home.

I fixed finally removed my bent and broken CV bolts and got it all back together.

My new cot material from Domobile has come at last!

I'm looking forward to camping with them. Very Happy

On another note, I'm only getting about 12 mpg out of my rebuilt engine that has less than 300 miles on it. I haven't checked the spark plugs to see if it's running rich, but there's no signs of flooding yet. I also don't know how to adjust this carb as I've only done the stock carbs previously. I guess I have some reading to do.
DocNexil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2021 12:52 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1971 Westy/Dormobile (SO 69/7) - Juliett Reply with quote

Hit up my local mountain and climbed 2700' in search of some fall colors. Didn't find any red that I was looking for but still got some cool photos!

Ceckert64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 6:41 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1971 Westy/Dormobile (SO 69/7) - Juliett Reply with quote

Awsome bus and pictures! I definitely wish a had a dormobile top! Are you planning on putting a BN4 gas heater in? Cool to see someone else my age in the forums Cool
“Fitz” 1971 Westfalia Poptop
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DocNexil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 10:01 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1971 Westy/Dormobile (SO 69/7) - Juliett Reply with quote

Ceckert64 wrote:
Awsome bus and pictures! I definitely wish a had a dormobile top! Are you planning on putting a BN4 gas heater in? Cool to see someone else my age in the forums Cool

Thank you! The Dormobile top is very nice, I'm 6'3" and can stand on the bench seat with a little headroom to spare! About the heater, I removed my BN4 on the way to Buses by the Bridge 2020 to swap in an engine with dual carbs. I then sold it at BBB Embarassed d'oh!

It's not all bad. I'm thinking about installing an aftermarket heater like my dad did with his bus, and if I do dual carbs again then I'll have the space for them. Temperatures these last two weeks have dropped below freezing and I should maybe look into heating sooner rather than later.

21 and under club rise up! Cool
DocNexil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2021 11:44 am    Post subject: Re: My 1971 Westy/Dormobile (SO 69/7) - Juliett Reply with quote

Story time!
A few nights ago one of my friend's Ford battery died. He picked me up in his sister's pt cruiser and we went to go jump the Ford with the plan that I would follow him back in the Ford. Well, it just happened to be the one night this week with a very wet snowstorm going on for hours. The Ford was in a spot that was too muddy for the pt cruiser, we almost got it stuck there. So I decided to get my bus. My friend doubted that my bus could make it, but I was pretty confident. We get out to the Ford and my bus crushes the terrain. Turns out my 51 year old vehicle still handles bad terrain better than a modern, front engine vehicle Cool Gotta say though, I wish I had my heater than night!

TL;DR my bus functions better than a pt cruiser. Another win for VW!
jakokombi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2021 5:49 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1971 Westy/Dormobile (SO 69/7) - Juliett Reply with quote

Great story.
So, has your buddy started looking for a Bus?
72 Baja
DocNexil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2021 11:24 am    Post subject: Re: My 1971 Westy/Dormobile (SO 69/7) - Juliett Reply with quote

jakokombi wrote:
Great story.
So, has your buddy started looking for a Bus?

Haha, he should! His current daily car seems to break down more than mine.

So, there was a trunk-or-treat event that I participated in last night. I was voted 2nd place for best decorations! This "costume" is something I've wanted to do to my bus for years now... Can you tell I like Lego? Razz

DocNexil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2021 7:53 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1971 Westy/Dormobile (SO 69/7) - Juliett Reply with quote

October 15, 2014:

November 18, 2021:

Link

How can anyone pride themselves on work like this? This chunk that came off was 3/8 of an inch thick in some spots. It breaks my heart. It will soon break my wallet.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: