Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Link pin spindle carriers mounted on wrong side?
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bonzai272
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 1:26 pm    Post subject: Link pin spindle carriers mounted on wrong side? Reply with quote

Hey all,

Just had a local shop take my stock link pin/king pin spindle carrier assemblies apart and rebuild them using dropped disc brake spindles. However, I think they mixed things up and put the left hand carrier on the right hand spindle and vice versa. Here is a photo for reference.

Also, Ive done a little researching and believe the part numbers on my carriers correlate to the left side being 111.405.357 and the right side being 111.405.358.

If this is correct, then they must've indeed goofed up because the left carrier (357) is mounted to the spindle marked 2R and the right carrier (358) is mounted to the spindle marked 1L.

Can anyone confirm? The way it is now, I wouldnt even be able to turn the wheels! So frustrating because it took 2.5 weeks just to get them back, only to find this.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Rebop
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 6:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Link pin spindle carriers mounted on wrong side? Reply with quote

Flat side goes towards the car, the angled side goes towards the wheel. Those look mixed up.
bonzai272
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 6:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Link pin spindle carriers mounted on wrong side? Reply with quote

That’s what I thought too. They’re definitely mounted wrong then. Thank you for the reply.
Rebop
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 6:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Link pin spindle carriers mounted on wrong side? Reply with quote

I just looked it up yesterday so it's still fresh in my mind. Our beetle needs the pins redone so I was seeing if I could DIY. Seeking out a shop to do it makes sense. Too bad it got boogered.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 2:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Link pin spindle carriers mounted on wrong side? Reply with quote

While it sucks they are assembled incorrectly, the hard part of reaming the bushings, and fitting the spindle is done. If you have access to some large sockets, something similar to the diameter/strength of the king pin, and a press, it wouldn’t be too difficult to press stuff apart to assemble correctly. The main thing upon reassembly would be to place the grease access holes in the link pin bushings close to the grease fitting for it to flow around the link pin when pumped in.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bonzai272
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 6:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Link pin spindle carriers mounted on wrong side? Reply with quote

Luckily the shop was able to correct them and get them right back to me the next day (today) so I am back in business!
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 6:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Link pin spindle carriers mounted on wrong side? Reply with quote

Glad everything got corrected. It’s not difficult to get things mixed up, especially if you are bringing another carrier into the mix to replace a worn out one.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: