Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1978 T2 replacing alternator
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
crippel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 4:03 pm    Post subject: 1978 T2 replacing alternator Reply with quote

Howdy! New user to the forum and couldn't find exactly what I was looking for so posting my question.

I am replacing the alternator in my 1978 bus. The old one had a port on the side of the alternator housing and the rubber elbows to route air to cool it. I wish I had gotten a pic of it before I returned it. No rear plate/cover as I have seen in some of the photos people have posted. When I got the new Bosch alternator it is bare open on the back, no port and no rear cover. The parts guy at my local air cooled VW parts store said it was no problem, the part will work.

My concern is several people have warned about shorting out the wiring harness if the little tab is not transferred from the old alternator to the new one. Do I need to just make one? Do I need it at all since I have no rear plate? Do I now have to get a rear plate? I can follow instructions/parts exactly, but since the new part is different, I don't know if I'm doing it right. FYI, the pulley does have fins on it so air is circulating through the alternator. Thanks for any help!

Pic for affect Very Happy
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 4:14 pm    Post subject: Re: 1978 T2 replacing alternator Reply with quote

Welcome!
It's unfortunate you returned your 70 amp core, especially since they sold you a 55 amp one in it's place, likely too late to get it back now. Crying or Very sad

That parts guy is full of shit, you need the cooling cover on the front of the alternator, here's one in the classifieds: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2462211 , you'll also need the 55 amp boot to feed air to it from the shroud, most parts suppliers sell that. Your voltage regulator will work with the new one, but you'll need a different harness to plug in at the alternator IIRC.

It may be time to reconsider your choice of parts sellers......... Confused

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
ImAddicted
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 5:09 pm    Post subject: Re: 1978 T2 replacing alternator Reply with quote

Wait. The pulley has fins or a fan?
Either way, you’re gonna need that backing plate and boot.
Original condition, which means something different on this forum than anywhere else!
crippel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 6:01 pm    Post subject: Re: 1978 T2 replacing alternator Reply with quote

Well she-ite! Guess I should have done some more research before I tackled this myself. And to answer...the pulley has a fan on it.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 6:51 pm    Post subject: Re: 1978 T2 replacing alternator Reply with quote

crippel wrote:
Well she-ite! Guess I should have done some more research before I tackled this myself. And to answer...the pulley has a fan on it.

How about a few pictures of what you have.
germansupplyscott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 6:58 pm    Post subject: Re: 1978 T2 replacing alternator Reply with quote

Maybe returning to the shop and retrieving your original AL108 alternator is possible?

Then find a good rebuilding shop and have it rebuilt. If it's not too late this is a good route to go. There's nothing super special about the AL108 except one thing - the brush holder is unique to that alternator, or if not unique, then it's not used on many alternators. This means it cannot be easily replaced in the course of a rebuild, but a good shop can solder new brushes on it.
crippel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 9:02 pm    Post subject: Re: 1978 T2 replacing alternator Reply with quote

This is the replacment alternator. The wiring harness I have does match the new alternator, just no plate and would have to go buy new rubber elbows to direct air flow. I can call the parts shop tomorrow and see if they still have the old one but doubt it. I returned it 2 weeks ago before I left out of town. Really wish I had a pic of the original.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 11:35 pm    Post subject: Re: 1978 T2 replacing alternator Reply with quote

Send that one back and get a 70 amp.
rottenkid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 12:54 am    Post subject: Re: 1978 T2 replacing alternator Reply with quote

Get your 70 amp alternator back. You should find an alternator rebuilder somewhere in your area. I have had two 70 amp alternators rebuilt in Belleville Ontario. The second one was rebuilt for a spare. Apparently, they are having trouble getting parts for rebuilding them in Canada, but you should have no problem in the United States.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: