Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Paint situation
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
CelestysWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 5:44 pm    Post subject: Paint situation Reply with quote

So my uncle's “connection” didn’t work out ( hey, it’s south Florida after all, doing what you say you are going to do isn’t exactly what we are known for).

The guy had the van 4 1/2 months after I did all the rust and body repair. He kinda sorta sanded and primed it.

This is the current state it’s in. I don’t really have the budget to do a very expensive paint job, hence me going with the “uncle hook-up”.

But now I just need it to look decent so I can park it in front of the drive way and not have my wife roll her eyes everyone she looks outside.
Thinking of shooting it myself with a friend.

In everyone’s humble opinion, what do you suggest I do at this current stage?
I’m an artist that is pretty precise and detail oriented. However, if I can have a legitimate painter in the vicinity shoot it for a reasonable price, I just assume go that route.

Was hoping to take it out with the family for a couple weeks in June.

Comments and suggestions appreciated.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 5:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Paint situation Reply with quote

That's a horrible assessment of South Florida!

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
shadetreemech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 5:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Paint situation Reply with quote

I Googled "thesamba how do I paint a".

This is a link to what came up.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/archive/index.php/o-t--t-678245--.html

Take a shot at doing it yourself. Focus, plan, execute.

Good luck.

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 6:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Paint situation Reply with quote

Maaco pay for a better quality paint. They usually have someone that can lay down some paint decently.
CelestysWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 6:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Paint situation Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:

I really don’t like to generalize like that, but just getting work done here can be so hard! Too many people looking for a quick buck!
CelestysWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 7:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Paint situation Reply with quote

MarkWard wrote:
Maaco pay for a better quality paint. They usually have someone that can lay down some paint decently.

You’re right, I should explore this option again.
I’ve seen a couple guys post that they had a paint job done for under $2k.

Thing is I did already buy the 2-stage paint. Supposed to pick up the van and the paint tomorrow.

Ideally just having access to a booth and a spray gun would be good enough. I feel like I could get it done in a weekend with a little bit of homework and decent prep.
4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 8:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Paint situation Reply with quote

MarkWard wrote:

That is my suggestion as well.
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 8:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Paint situation Reply with quote

I think it's time to call a couple of shops, incl. Maaco, tell them your story and see if anyone bites. The Maaco shop a few dozen miles away from Seattle is owned by a Vanagon owner and I've chatted with him and he sounds like he'd be open to creative problem solving. Maybe you'll encounter a similar franchise/shop owner.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
Drew N
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 7:22 am    Post subject: Re: Paint situation Reply with quote

Years ago I went through the process of doing bodywork and prep on my Jeep. I was changing the front clip from YJ to CJ and doing a color change from white to orange. I had done a ton of research and was ready to tackle it myself. When I got the the point that I was ready to paint, I decided to just have a shop spray it. Making a paint booth out of my garage and painting a whole car didn't scare me, but looking at it as a long term investment, it seemed that the little bit more money I would spend to have it done by a professional was the better move. It's been about 15 years now and although it's not a show car, the paint looks good still and I haven't had any peeling or fading.
Doing all the prep work to pull everything apart and deliver the jeep with raw panels to the paint shop (dash out, glass out, plastics out, etc) really saved me a lot of money.
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 7:42 am    Post subject: Re: Paint situation Reply with quote

My experience is painting race cars that need to look good at 80 mph. The thing about paints is that each brand and type has it's own unique spraying properties that you need to get experienced with. If you can find someone to shoot it, ideally they have experience with the paint you are supplying in the South Florida climate.

As far as Florida and service industries. There are reputable businesses, but often you need someone to refer you to them to find them. New residents don't have the local network.

That said, I do not have anyone I can recommend to paint your van. The guys I know have all retired or sold their shops.
alaskadan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 7:52 am    Post subject: Re: Paint situation Reply with quote

Yes pull all the glass and door seals yourself. Back in my glass shop days I sent a few trucks to maaco on 99 in north Seattle. It was hit or miss. One looked like the painter had broadcast small handfuls of sand onto the wet paint and then topcoated over it. Do as much prep as you can. Those wisps of black paint on your primer is guide coat. Its for the "blocking" phase of the paint job. You should do that part. It is when you highlight any anomalies that may need more attention. Maac isn't known for doing that part.
CelestysWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 8:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Paint situation Reply with quote

Picked up the van. It started and ran pretty good on the way home . The guy returned the paint I purchased (NOROO brand base and clear coat), minus the reducer and one gallon of clear coat, and I walked away without having to negotiate an awkward payment for him barely doing any work.
All in all, I’m satisfied with the outcome.

So now- my questions.

How do I know if more primer is needed?
What’s the difference between the etching primer and the filling primer?
When do I wet sand as opposed to dry sand?
Someone mentioned the faint black lines as being intentional to guide the paint coats. Is that something u should follow as I get my fear and second coats on?
Grit count?

I know these are probably pretty dumb questions, but getting a little bit more clarity on the necessary steps is going to help me figure out if I take this job on myself, or stay hunting for a guy to finish the job.

I do have a MACCO appointment scheduled for next week, so this will be in my bag of options pending the prices.

Thanks again for everyone’s input.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 4:57 am    Post subject: Re: Paint situation Reply with quote

Do NOT let Marco supply your paint!

It has no long term durability!

Negotiate application, you supply the paint .

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 5:39 am    Post subject: Re: Paint situation Reply with quote

I believe etching primer is for bare metal. The high build primer is for filling sanding marks etc. I’d recommend dry block sanding vs wet sanding in FL. A good top coat depends on a dry clean surface.
syncro surf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 5:53 am    Post subject: Re: Paint situation Reply with quote

Do you have a compressor? I've gotten very good results with this gun:

https://www.grizzly.com/products/woodstock-professional-spray-gun-1-5mm/w1793

It's LVLP (low volume low pressure) as opposed to the more common HVLP. It only requires 3-4 cfm which most basic compressors can provide. With a little practice you can lay down some pretty nice paint. It's a skill that's not that hard to acquire if it's something that you're interested in.
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 8:02 am    Post subject: Re: Paint situation Reply with quote

There are a ton of videos out there on diy car painting. And the samba has a separate forum for Body/Paint with a ton of info too.

Time to do some reading and viewing.

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
space
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 8:39 am    Post subject: Re: Paint situation Reply with quote

CelestysWesty wrote:
djkeev wrote:

I really don’t like to generalize like that, but just getting work done here can be so hard! Too many people looking for a quick buck!

deleted
Rear discs
Corwyn Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 9:03 am    Post subject: Re: Paint situation Reply with quote

http://www.livethevanlife.com/

I'm taking my van down in February. Body work and windows-out paint job, around $5000.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=604813&highlight=baja

"If anything's" gonna happen, it's gonna happen out there"
~ Captain Ron ~
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 9:23 am    Post subject: Re: Paint situation Reply with quote

Corwyn wrote:

I'm taking my van down in February. Body work and windows-out paint job, around $5000.

I don’t click links, but is that the Mexican paint job deal? If so there was a recent thread where it looked like a disaster for the owner and the van. Something about not dealing with the body seams at all.
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 9:41 am    Post subject: Re: Paint situation Reply with quote

MarkWard wrote:
Corwyn wrote:

I don’t click links, but is that the Mexican paint job deal? If so there was a recent thread where it looked like a disaster for the owner and the van. Something about not dealing with the body seams at all.

This owner (livethevanlife dude) sold the blue baja paint job van a few years back and was finishing up a new baja syncro paint job last year. I'm not saying there aren't baja paint job disasters but I'd be surprised if it was these vans. Who knows though...

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: