Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The old "Loaded Condenser" trick
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
BonTonRoulet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 6:41 pm    Post subject: The old "Loaded Condenser" trick Reply with quote

Anyone fall for the old "Loaded Condenser" trick in the last, oh, 40 years? Shocked For those that haven't, shouldn't this be a right of passage for our old cars to their next "conservators"?
motofly196
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 10:21 pm    Post subject: Re: The old "Loaded Condenser" trick Reply with quote

Maybe set a few loaded ones on a swap table...for the shopper who has to "Touch" everything?? Shocked
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 4:41 am    Post subject: Re: The old "Loaded Condenser" trick Reply with quote

Apparently after 40 years of playing with old VWs I haven't been a victim (yet) of this prank. Pray tell, How does one "load a condenser" and especially how is it done so that the loader isn't zapped themselves? Now I'm gonna be afraid to touch anything at the next swap meet...

Bill
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
FarmerBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 4:52 am    Post subject: Re: The old "Loaded Condenser" trick Reply with quote

An old friend of mine told me about a prank some old timers played at the county fairgrounds when he was a kid. They brazed a nail to a silver dollar and put the nail through a hole in one of the grandstand seats. They then hooked an old model-t coil to the nail with alligator clips. Very Happy
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 7:04 am    Post subject: Re: The old "Loaded Condenser" trick Reply with quote

BulliBill wrote:
Apparently after 40 years of playing with old VWs I haven't been a victim (yet) of this prank. Pray tell, How does one "load a condenser" and especially how is it done so that the loader isn't zapped themselves? Now I'm gonna be afraid to touch anything at the next swap meet...

Bill

The condensor holds a bit of charge from the coil until the points give it a ground through the spark plug. If you pick up a random condensor off a joker's swap spot, you can become the spark plug.

Pro tip: don't touch strange condensors at swap meets. It's not like you ever need one anyway. I have only had one go bad on me in 30 years and hundreds of thousands of miles.
VWoA literature and early dealership or distributor literature/pictures/information
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
motofly196
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 7:15 am    Post subject: Re: The old "Loaded Condenser" trick Reply with quote

My Senior year of high school, I came into class a bit early and saw a condenser sitting in every one of our chairs. I also saw my jokester instructor taking off his rubber gloves at his podium. This was the day AFTER he had explained condensers, and how they hold a charge.
I didn't touch it, but one by one as students came in...."bang". And that continued as every one of us just sat watching the next student come in. It was pretty funny. Laughing
Probably not very politically correct by todays school standards. But funny!
Long-roofs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 8:33 am    Post subject: Re: The old "Loaded Condenser" trick Reply with quote

Lost two condensers over 35 years, big back fire, then dead. I carry no less than 4 extras in my travel box.

"No, I do not own a bleepin' leaf blower"

--
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 12:18 pm    Post subject: Re: The old "Loaded Condenser" trick Reply with quote

Long-roofs wrote:
Lost two condensers over 35 years, big back fire, then dead. I carry no less than 4 extras in my travel box.

Well I guess you're good to go for the next 70 years. Laughing
jwp67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 11:37 am    Post subject: Re: The old "Loaded Condenser" trick Reply with quote

Lind wrote:
BulliBill wrote:

Bill

The condensor holds a bit of charge from the coil until the points give it a ground through the spark plug. If you pick up a random condensor off a joker's swap spot, you can become the spark plug.

Pro tip: don't touch strange condensors at swap meets. It's not like you ever need one anyway. I have only had one go bad on me in 30 years and hundreds of thousands of miles.

So you're saying I should only get condensors free of charge Laughing
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 6:53 pm    Post subject: Re: The old "Loaded Condenser" trick Reply with quote

motofly196 wrote:
My Senior year of high school, I came into class a bit early and saw a condenser sitting in every one of our chairs. I also saw my jokester instructor taking off his rubber gloves at his podium. This was the day AFTER he had explained condensers, and how they hold a charge.
I didn't touch it, but one by one as students came in...."bang". And that continued as every one of us just sat watching the next student come in. It was pretty funny. Laughing
Probably not very politically correct by todays school standards. But funny!

We would charge up a condenser on a snowmobile or lawn mower engine in shop class, then toss it to some unsuspecting guy across the room. Good times.
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 6:54 pm    Post subject: Re: The old "Loaded Condenser" trick Reply with quote

Long-roofs wrote:

I think I have only had a couple of them fail, too. Coils are another matter.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 4:22 am    Post subject: Re: The old "Loaded Condenser" trick Reply with quote

I used to run a facility with excimer lasers with big ass caps.

These were big enough that the charge would kill you.

I also learned that leaving these ungrounded, they could charge spontaneously, so it was a safety violation to leave caps without a Bus bar on them
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: