Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

82 Vanagon Air-Cooled - Vacuum Help!
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheMarksmenVanagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 9:16 pm    Post subject: 82 Vanagon Air-Cooled - Vacuum Help! Reply with quote

Hello All,

Girlfriend and I bought a 82' Vanagon Riviera and we are excited to start learning the ins and outs of the air-cooled engine (for better or worse). We are looking to replace all the fuel and vacuum lines to give us more reliability on longer trips. Bentley has horrible diagrams for the AC model and there is not much information online for the Type IV engine except for the bay-window models (thanks Richard Atwell). Do I have everything correctly listed here? Previous owner got rid of the decel valve and several other lines so we are trying our best to restore back to original engineering intent. If anyone can help with hose sizing it would be much appreciated and please correct the table as you see fit (engine photo is a stock photo online).

Engine Overview
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Table of Hoses and Connections

Our Project!

Last edited by TheMarksmenVanagon on Fri May 14, 2021 6:39 pm; edited 2 times in total
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 5:52 am    Post subject: Re: 82 Vanagon Air-Cooled - Vacuum Help! Reply with quote

Welcome to the samba.

That is a gorgeous bus! Enjoy!

(Sorry but I am no help on the vacuum lines.)

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
leecat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 3:50 pm    Post subject: Re: 82 Vanagon Air-Cooled - Vacuum Help! Reply with quote

I have a complete '81 with the 2.0 - give me a bit and I will do some measuring in the next day or two and post what I can for measurements!

Sorry for the wait!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
leecat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 4:19 pm    Post subject: Re: 82 Vanagon Air-Cooled - Vacuum Help! Reply with quote

Hello - ran out and did some measuring.

I have no decel valve from factory, so I have no D, B, K, nor third-outlet-on-A (to B) on my engine.

OD ID

F 20 14
E 28 20
J 8 4
I 8 4
C 13 19 (hard plastic vacuum line)

H connector 24mm OD
G connector 22mm OD

Hopefully that helps a little bit - you'll probably end up using heater hose for connections to G and H, I and J are standard size small vacuum line connectors.

Good luck with it - I concur that it's a nice looking little bus! Smile

(Sorry, it mucked up my impromptu spacing when posting)

Last edited by leecat on Fri May 14, 2021 8:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TheMarksmenVanagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 6:11 pm    Post subject: Re: 82 Vanagon Air-Cooled - Vacuum Help! Reply with quote

@DoBryan
Thank you! We are excited to be apart of such a great community! I am sure we will be posting often (when we cant find similar issues in the forums) as we get use to working on an AC engine.

@LeeCat
Wow thank you so much! This is fantastic! We have heard so many great things about The Samba from coworkers and friends - and it is already apparent. I will update the table in the original post to reflect your comments to help others that may have a similar question in the future!

Any advice for a couple of beginners working on and driving the 2.0?
leecat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 8:39 pm    Post subject: Re: 82 Vanagon Air-Cooled - Vacuum Help! Reply with quote

Welcome aboard! All I'd say is make sure to remember the old adage that perfect is the enemy of good - it can be pretty tough to return these old beasts to 'factory new' condition with exact OEM-quality components, and sometimes you just have to make do with what you can get your hands on.

I am ripping out the 2.0 at present - good solid little engine (and so lovely not to have to deal with coolant and the 32 miles of hose in a waterboxer), but I wanted more power. If you don't mind a little bit slower pace though, the 2.0 is super fun.

AND CHANGE ALL YOUR FUEL LINES! These things go up in flames in a heartbeat if you give them half the chance, and all the old hoses are usually rotten. Check out great easy-to-install accessories like 'Blaze Cut' for some peace of mind, perhaps.

Have fun driving your nice little ride - when it frustrates you, just remember how much you love it! ;p
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: