Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

New Carb
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
samm1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 10:24 am    Post subject: New Carb Reply with quote

So, I just got this today and opened the box for a look. I noticed right away the position of the accelerator pump. It’s way off the the end. All my other carbs are in the center or slightly to the right or left of center. They claim this Carb is supposed to be better than all those chinese carbs. It’s listed as a new product. Just wondering if anyone else that ordered one has the same setting.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Matt Wilson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 10:32 am    Post subject: Re: New Carb Reply with quote

Like any new carburetor, you probably need to open it up, and check and clean stuff, install the jets you needs, and check accel. pump squirt volume, which is adjusted with the screw/linkage section you show.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 10:52 am    Post subject: Re: New Carb Reply with quote

Unless the advertisement claimed they had test run every carb I wouldn't loose sleep over how the screws were placed.

Just as I would not assume the adjustment screws for the throttle arm, bypass screw or volume screw were spot on.. I would not assume the accelerator pump adjustment was correct out-of-the-box. Center the screw in the accelerator pump adjustment range and make sure there is no play anywhere in the linkage. After cleaning out the carb to make sure there is no dust clogging passages, set all your screw adjustments to their initial positions and follow the tune-up steps to fine tune.
While you are at it, make sure all screws and screw in jets are snug. Often some will be crazy loose when pulled from the box. Your role as the installer is to make sure they are not.
'67 Beetle #1 {project car that never made it to the road Sad }
'75 Beetle 1200LS (RHD Japan model) {junked due to frame rot}
'67 Beetle #2 {2019 project car - Wish me luck!}
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 4:16 pm    Post subject: Re: New Carb Reply with quote

That's on the Plus side, and it probably does not need to be there. You might end up impacting your fuel economy negatively.

New carbs "shouldn't" have issues with play in the accelerator pump linkage like worn German carbs do.

But I still look for it, I always adjust the linkage so that all play is taken up, regardless of where it falls on the dial. You want the spray to start as soon as you open the throttle lever. I've seen it where German carbs needed to be adjusted all the way on the MINUS side to ensure no play in the linkage. (Why do you want no play? Well, to avoid the dreaded "flat spot" on acceleration.)

I replaced that linkage with one much less worn (and the generator style) and it ended up here, still on the minus side but not as far...

IMAGE NOTE: It has been noted that Chrome based browsers may have issues in displaying my vast image library, which use non-secure links and are on an FTP server. Images should still be viewable if the link is clicked though.
I do not know how to fix this. All I can say is it all works fine for me with what I use, Firefox.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
samm1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 4:54 pm    Post subject: Re: New Carb Reply with quote

Ok thanks all for the reply’s 👍🏽
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: