Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Rain water getting past the Window Scraper seals.
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 3:34 pm    Post subject: Rain water getting past the Window Scraper seals. Reply with quote

Videos say it all.

https://youtube.com/shorts/Bm_Yb10a2Ao?feature=share

https://youtube.com/shorts/5_NEwFB059s?feature=share

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.

Last edited by Steve M. on Sat May 15, 2021 2:18 pm; edited 5 times in total
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 3:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Window scraper seals leak. Reply with quote

Yup. That is the reason for the drain holes and plastic that is stuck to the door behind the door panel.
Crooked Designer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 7:52 am    Post subject: Re: Rain water getting past the Wndow Scraper seals. Reply with quote

Wait. So it is supposed to do that?
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 8:27 am    Post subject: Re: Rain water getting past the Wndow Scraper seals. Reply with quote

Crooked Designer wrote:

yes. any non fixed moving window has to leak like that, there is no choice in the matter.

if you have a car with a sunroof....it leaks.... into a tray which collects the water and pisses it out of the 4 corners of the sunroof tray down tubes and out the bottom of the car

same with convertibles (well, modern ones) the top sits into a tub that allows water to collect and be redirected out of the car

a lot of people don't realize how much water comes in like that

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
Crooked Designer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 11:16 am    Post subject: Re: Rain water getting past the Wndow Scraper seals. Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
Crooked Designer wrote:

yes. any non fixed moving window has to leak like that, there is no choice in the matter.

if you have a car with a sunroof....it leaks.... into a tray which collects the water and pisses it out of the 4 corners of the sunroof tray down tubes and out the bottom of the car

same with convertibles (well, modern ones) the top sits into a tub that allows water to collect and be redirected out of the car

Guess I need to put my speakers in a plastic bag.
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 12:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Rain water getting past the Wndow Scraper seals. Reply with quote

Crooked Designer wrote:
skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
Crooked Designer wrote:

Guess I need to put my speakers in a plastic bag.

Crutchfield and others sell nice foam enclosures that protect speakers mounted in doors or other water prone areas.
Really easy to install and generally very inexpensive too

For reference,
https://www.crutchfield.com/p_696B050331/Boom-Mat-6-1-2-Speaker-Baffles-Slim-line-2-1-2-depth.html
2017 MINI Coopers, our current DDs
‘84 Tin Top - Hilga....Auto
16CVs Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 12:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Rain water getting past the Wndow Scraper seals. Reply with quote

Those widow scrapers are not designed to shed water. They cover the door edge and keep twigs and large debris out as well as place to rest your arm while driving.

Years ago Pioneer used the include a plastic half round water cover that fit between the speaker and the panel that would shed water. Although the speakers are up behind the vent vent window assembly there is still an amazing amount of water that comes in.

There should always be a vapor barrier on a door. If you look at a Vanagon door you will see some weep holes on the inside stamping. The vapor barrier attaches to the flat part and then in the cavity he water comes in and hits the vapor barrier and then runs out the bottom of the door.

I like to use 3 mil plastic and attach it with Construction Adhesive. It works well because it stick to anything and can be applied over. When You have to get into you just cut it with a razor blade and then re glue.

Stacy
Samba member # 14980
Call anytime number 650 722 4914 .
Keep Your van running and upkept tastefully for the love of the hobby.
Don't let your van end up in an "abortions" thread.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 2:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Rain water getting past the Window Scraper seals. Reply with quote

If you do not have the vapor barrier/plastic sheet and your interior door panels are not flat this is the reason why!

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: