Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Opinions on windshield frame rust repair and mitigation
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zelten
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 6:16 pm    Post subject: Opinions on windshield frame rust repair and mitigation Reply with quote

I know there will be many opinions on what to do and I will take them all into consideration.

I'm not going to buy a welder and do any welding myself. This is already the most bodywork I have ever done.

I believe I could just kill the rust, primer, paint and put in a new windshield but while I'm at this point I'm considering taking it to a professional to have it taken care of.

I don't have any specific questions but I would like to hear what some of you would do in this situation.

These pictures are the worst of it.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

avoll
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 6:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Opinions on windshield frame rust repair and mitigation Reply with quote

Most of it you could wire wheel with drill, and por 15, zero rust or something. Then primer/paint over.
The holes, I would either weld, or take it somewhere to weld closed.
Could also use a fiber glass resin, but to do it right your gonna wanna weld a plate in there.

Also you could prob get more skilled advice in the body/paint section of the forms.
Thanks
Zelten
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 6:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Opinions on windshield frame rust repair and mitigation Reply with quote

avoll wrote:
Most of it you could wire wheel with drill, and por 15, zero rust or something. Then primer/paint over.
The holes, I would either weld, or take it somewhere to weld closed.
Could also use a fiber glass resin, but to do it right your gonna wanna weld a plate in there.

Also you could prob get more skilled advice in the body/paint section of the forms.
Thanks

Great idea. I didn't even think of that.

Thanks for the help!
ccowx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 8:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Opinions on windshield frame rust repair and mitigation Reply with quote

Am in the process of dealing with rust of my own. I would give several only slightly redundant body parts(mine!) to have a windshield channel that nice! I would suggest that a good welder, or even a fair one, could weld those holes up and grind them down and be good for another 50 years. If you clean them thoroughly and epoxy prime and paint them carefully you should be fine. I can't really think of much else to do with them. I assume you keep an eye on things like that and will catch future rust before it becomes serious, from now moving forward. Basic care and you should be good for any reasonable future time.

Chris
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 9:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Opinions on windshield frame rust repair and mitigation Reply with quote

this is what happens when you cover shit up

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9609605#9609605

fix it right or don't bother. POR-15 is absolute fucking trash these days. if you're going to use a product like that, use masterseries.

just search POR-15 here...it's shit. it's nothing like it was 15 years ago.

anyway, i'd strip it to bare steel and decide if it needs patches or a whole channel.

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
Jrh5r
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 8:23 am    Post subject: Re: Opinions on windshield frame rust repair and mitigation Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
this is what happens when you cover shit up

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9609605#9609605

fix it right or don't bother. POR-15 is absolute fucking trash these days. if you're going to use a product like that, use masterseries.

just search POR-15 here...it's shit. it's nothing like it was 15 years ago.

anyway, i'd strip it to bare steel and decide if it needs patches or a whole channel.

Seconded on the masterseries. It’s the real deal. Por 15 is worthless garbage. You can do all of the steps and prep it perfectly and it’ll peel off in sheets, not to mention the price. Masterseries is the only thing I’ll ever use and recommend to anyone
Zelten
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 8:57 am    Post subject: Re: Opinions on windshield frame rust repair and mitigation Reply with quote

I'm leaning to using a professional. I don't want to mess with this again for another 10 years or longer ( when I decide to do a full restoration) .Now I just need to find a reputable shop that can do it. It looks like I only need small patches and not the whole channel but I'm not an expert.

Thank you everyone for your advice and recommendations.
avoll
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 11:05 am    Post subject: Re: Opinions on windshield frame rust repair and mitigation Reply with quote

I'm no expert welder or body man, but I've done repairs on my own projects. Really only patch you need welded in is that big hole. The pin holes they could put brass behind and fill in with weld, and sand smooth.
Be better to pay someone to fix it now, so you don't have to mess with it again later.
Or get a welder and practice on scrap metal, then do it yourself.
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 1:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Opinions on windshield frame rust repair and mitigation Reply with quote

I went to auto glass plus in Bremerton and they used some kind of epoxy and it never leaked. I don't think they even charged me for it.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: