Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

78 Heating duct under bus / Asbestos?
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
avoll
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 1:26 am    Post subject: 78 Heating duct under bus / Asbestos? Reply with quote

Does the original duct pipes have asbestos in them?
Does The Y wrap thing have asbestos in it?
Does anything on a 78 have asbestos in it?

I'm wanting to replace all the ducts, because I'm in the process of prepping the underside for paint.
The center duct I have that connects front to back is a bendable duct like the others that connect to the Y but bigger. 90mm I believe, but only replacement one I can find is a soid pipe.

Whats the best replacement parts option for replacing all the ducts?
I don't plan on replacing the Y wrap, seems like it traps more moisture than anything. But, if I did whats the best modern option?
Thanks
avoll
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 4:07 pm    Post subject: Re: 78 Heating duct under bus / Asbestos? Reply with quote

I attached a couple pictures of the heat ducts.
Anyone know a good place to order the whole set of them?
Thanks

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 4:24 pm    Post subject: Re: 78 Heating duct under bus / Asbestos? Reply with quote

Here's a search on the subject: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/search.php?searc..._chars=200
I didn't read them all, but this one was interesting: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=593400

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
avoll
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 6:37 pm    Post subject: Re: 78 Heating duct under bus / Asbestos? Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
Here's a search on the subject: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/search.php?searc..._chars=200
I didn't read them all, but this one was interesting: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=593400

Thanks, I appreciate the information and the help.
There seems to be just a bunch of bits and pieces of information all over about them. Nothing cut and dry.
I read a lot of that stuff already.
I think I might just order the aircraft tubing and go that route with clamps.

Still would like to know 100% where all the asbestos is on the bus.
Seems like that should be a safety sticky somewhere about full dismantle.

Think I'm just going to treat all the duct work as if it has asbestos in it just in case as I remove it all.

This endeavor all started with a simple brake pad change, then seen ball joints bad and few other things, so then moved on to spraying underside before I put new parts on. Next thing I know im scraping and sanding whole bottom of bus preeping for paint. 🤪
Thanks again
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 9:08 pm    Post subject: Re: 78 Heating duct under bus / Asbestos? Reply with quote

The bushings for the accordion tubes are the only asbestos I can think of at the moment. You can buy the equivalent part for the aircooled Vanagon, which is made from silicone. I don't know what the insulating material in the heat exchangers is made of or the insulation in the accordion tubes themselves. Remember you are not working in an asbestos mine or processing plant, where the air glitters with asbestos dust 24/7/365.
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 9:09 pm    Post subject: Re: 78 Heating duct under bus / Asbestos? Reply with quote

I think maybe you’re over reacting on the danger involved.
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
avoll
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 9:34 pm    Post subject: Re: 78 Heating duct under bus / Asbestos? Reply with quote

I probably am being overly cautious. More worried about tracking it inside house around kids more than anything.

I breathed in couple pounds of rust dust over the weekend sanding under there, so thats probably not to great either. Should have plenty of iron for a while though.

Thanks everyone for the information and help.
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 9:42 pm    Post subject: Re: 78 Heating duct under bus / Asbestos? Reply with quote

If left alone there’s not much floating around. Disturb it and now there’s an issue. Even then, it’s probably nothing to be too concerned about.
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
avoll
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 10:12 pm    Post subject: Re: 78 Heating duct under bus / Asbestos? Reply with quote

Pulling them off and scraping / sanding the metal they were on is for sure going to disturb it. But ILL try to keep them wet, and wipe off whats left on the metal with soapy water rag. Also wear a mask, and mop up gararge when i'm all done.
Any other advice?
avoll
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 3:05 pm    Post subject: Re: 78 Heating duct under bus / Asbestos? Reply with quote

Anyone know roughly how many feet of 3 1/2 pipe, and 2 1/4 pipe I need to order to make all the run?
Jetfxr69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 4:38 am    Post subject: Re: 78 Heating duct under bus / Asbestos? Reply with quote

aeromech wrote:
I think maybe you’re over reacting on the danger involved.

Was thinking the exact same thing. Unless your working with this stuff for prolonged periods of time, its not gonna be a problem. Its not like its radioactive or something, where 1 limited exposure is gonna kill you. Hell, ive injested enough toxic chemicals in aviation for years. Skydrol, jet fuel, mek, solvents of various carcinogenic make up, and at 51, it aint got me yet.

Oh yeah, forgot about the 100% Deet bug dope we need up here just to walk outside in the summer. Apparantely that aint too good for you either. Its good for me to not get swarmed by all the damn bugs up here.

Of course, 52 may be different, but not gonna worry about tomorrow.

‘77 westy Seamus
‘76 tintop Crusher
‘77 westy The Judge
‘72 tintop bastard westy Hudson
my59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 5:25 am    Post subject: Re: 78 Heating duct under bus / Asbestos? Reply with quote

When I took the heating system apart (to remove critter nests, clean, and get rust holes closed up) I wore gloves and a respirator. The asbestos cuffs went into a plastic bag and then the trash can. The wrapping on the Y was unfastened and re used. A section of metal duct was cut to fit for the straight pipe. The other parts that are tack welded were scrubbed out (think wads of rags on coat hanger) and dried with compressed air. Riveted some patches over rust holes, with metal duct tape to seal (yeah, not the best way to go, I know)
Made a major difference for fall and spring driving.
Having a sunroof makes it a greater challenge to try to keep heat in...
secretsubmariner
Champagne Wrangler

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 6:10 am    Post subject: Re: 78 Heating duct under bus / Asbestos? Reply with quote

avoll wrote:
Anyone know roughly how many feet of 3 1/2 pipe, and 2 1/4 pipe I need to order to make all the run?

There is a factory tool that might interest you, not surprising that your bus didn't come with it, they tend to get lost over the years. Google "tape measure" and you'll see a lot of options for quality replacements Laughing
1970 Auto Fastback FI
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
alaskadan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 8:55 am    Post subject: Re: 78 Heating duct under bus / Asbestos? Reply with quote

Radial caliper.
avoll
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 12:57 pm    Post subject: Re: 78 Heating duct under bus / Asbestos? Reply with quote

Measuring it would work if I was home to do it.
Was hoping to order the stuff and have it waiting when I got home.
Thought maybe someone who's done it already might know the measurements.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: