Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Your "Custom Tools"
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
oxsign
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 10:21 am    Post subject: Your "Custom Tools" Reply with quote

Not sure if this topic has been touched on, but I was wanting to see your custom tools that you've have to invent to work on our cars. Working bumper to bumper our cars have some very interesting angles to get to certain spots, lol.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 11:34 am    Post subject: Re: Your "Custom Tools" Reply with quote

oxsign wrote:
Not sure if this topic has been touched on, but I was wanting to see your custom tools that you've have to invent to work on our cars. Working bumper to bumper our cars have some very interesting angles to get to certain spots, lol.

About the only "custom" tool I have, is my 36mm socket welded to a piece of bar stock for doing the axle nut on a bug. I made that up 30 years ago and still use it once in a while.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
Multi69s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 12:26 am    Post subject: Re: Your "Custom Tools" Reply with quote

I'm really surprised that there have not been any entries in this post. We can all learn from what another person is doing. Here are SOME of mine.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Oil Cooler Tester: Connect to a suspect oil cooler, pressurize, and look for any pressure drop.

Adjustable Pushrod: For setting up rocker arm geometry

Distributer Stand: Lay Distributer in it and use a punch to drive out the foot's roll pin

Fuel Pump Tester (Carbs): Low pressure gauge used to check fuel pump's pressure, and check that it can hold that pressure under a load

T4 Main Seal Installer: Insures that the main seal is installed square in the case

Flanged Heater Box Tester: Used on heater boxes with flanged ends. Pressurize them, then submerge in water and look for bubbles

T1 Breather Bolt Tool: Used to remove / install slotted bolt that holds the breather to the generator / alt stand

Disc Brake Piston Remover: Used to pressurize a brake caliper with air to remove a difficult / stuck piston

One Man Brake Pressure Bleeder: Probably the most useful. Screw unto brake fluid reservoir and pressurize up to 10 psi. Then you can bleed the brakes by yourself. Really, really useful when a brake line has been changed, and there is a lot of air in the system
Gone but not forgotten 72 Baja Bug 2010
My builds
T4 into Squareback http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=458944&highlight=
Auto Trans Rebuild http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=516066&highlight=
AC in Squareback https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
oxsign
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 6:16 am    Post subject: Re: Your "Custom Tools" Reply with quote

Multi69s wrote:
I'm really surprised that there have not been any entries in this post. We can all learn from what another person is doing. Here are SOME of mine.

Oil Cooler Tester: Connect to a suspect oil cooler, pressurize, and look for any pressure drop.

Adjustable Pushrod: For setting up rocker arm geometry

Distributer Stand: Lay Distributer in it and use a punch to drive out the foot's roll pin

Fuel Pump Tester (Carbs): Low pressure gauge used to check fuel pump's pressure, and check that it can hold that pressure under a load

T4 Main Seal Installer: Insures that the main seal is installed square in the case

Flanged Heater Box Tester: Used on heater boxes with flanged ends. Pressurize them, then submerge in water and look for bubbles

T1 Breather Bolt Tool: Used to remove / install slotted bolt that holds the breather to the generator / alt stand

Disc Brake Piston Remover: Used to pressurize a brake caliper with air to remove a difficult / stuck piston

One Man Brake Pressure Bleeder: Probably the most useful. Screw unto brake fluid reservoir and pressurize up to 10 psi. Then you can bleed the brakes by yourself. Really, really useful when a brake line has been changed, and there is a lot of air in the system
that’s what I was thinking too, lol. That’s why I started it thinking we might get pictures of odd stuff. I know how difficult our cars can be sometimes lol.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ghianowbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 10:32 am    Post subject: Re: Your "Custom Tools" Reply with quote

used a tennis ball can cut the bottom to use my uni syn on kadrons with the stock airliter that had the bolt right in the middle where you put the uni syn. the tennis can was an extension to clear the airfilter mount. i had a ghia so plenty of room
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 4:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Your "Custom Tools" Reply with quote

ghianowbug wrote:
used a tennis ball can cut the bottom to use my uni syn on kadrons with the stock airliter that had the bolt right in the middle where you put the uni syn. the tennis can was an extension to clear the airfilter mount. i had a ghia so plenty of room

I use a number 1 main bearing with 1 inch wide strapping tape to cover the oil holes for use on my type 3 Solex carbs and my uni syn.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: