Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Speedometer glass
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
3foldfolly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 8:48 am    Post subject: Speedometer glass Reply with quote

I accidentally cracked the glass lens in my 1954 speedometer by over tightening the speedo to dash retaining screws trying to establish a good ground for the speedometer illumination lights. Embarassed I hoping someone can tell me what year speedos use the same diameter glass. I suspect all from oval to 67 are the same but I am not certain.
66brm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 5:17 am    Post subject: Re: Speedometer glass Reply with quote

Yeah pretty sure to they are the same, just find a trashed, common as muck 60's Speedo, strip it down and transfer the glass

modok wrote:
I am an expert at fitting things in holes, been doing it a long time
ZENVWDRIVER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 1:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Speedometer glass Reply with quote

… the speedo glass in our 1950 11G cracked in half - we left that character for several years, but the new owner changed it, pretty fast - nothing is perfect was my feeling - z
11/4/52, black Zwitter - SOLD to my little bro.
1954 Porsche, pre A, with VW 36 horse- SOLD
1/54, black 11C Beetle - TRADED
2/55 Iceland green Beetle, on a 1965 pan
3/55 113 Beetle, stratos silver
1955 Messerschmitt KR175 - SOLD, sadly
1960 single cab
1962 SO33, with SO 42 interior
9/63 Pacific blue, Ghia
'87 Toyota MR2
'02 WestFORDia E-150, GAVE TO OUR SON

All super-heroes, wear a MASK
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zwitterkafer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 5:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Speedometer glass Reply with quote

The glass diameters were the same for a long time. But there were differences in thickness. Accordingly, there are slight variations in the chrome bezels, and in the 3 rubber seals (or rubber seals + paper gasket). If a donor speedo has a different thickness glass, it may be best to transfer glass + bezel + gaskets. This prevents the completed assembly from being too tight or too loose.
3foldfolly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2021 7:10 am    Post subject: Re: Speedometer glass Reply with quote

Zwitterkafer wrote:
The glass diameters were the same for a long time. But there were differences in thickness. Accordingly, there are slight variations in the chrome bezels, and in the 3 rubber seals (or rubber seals + paper gasket). If a donor speedo has a different thickness glass, it may be best to transfer glass + bezel + gaskets. This prevents the completed assembly from being too tight or too loose.

Thank you for this valuable information.
Zwitterkafer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2021 1:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Speedometer glass Reply with quote

No problemo! I had a flakey speedo ground once as well. I admit to performing a hack....I added a spade ground terminal under one of the two screws that hold the speedo head to the speedo casing. Easy connection point for a nice new brown push-on ground wire. Easily reversible when reverting to purist mode.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: