Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Rear bump stop - clearance?
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
type11969
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 5:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear bump stop - clearance? Reply with quote

Thanks guys. Ultimately the point is that I can't rely on that 23deg number due to the additional subaru engine weight. But I don't know what that number needs to be - I need a different reference. Bump stop clearance might be a poor indicator, but it is at least a better target than the guess and check option I have now.

Anyway, I'll probably start with a degree or so lift and go from there.

-Chris
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 6:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear bump stop - clearance? Reply with quote

type11969 wrote:
Thanks guys. Ultimately the point is that I can't rely on that 23deg number due to the additional subaru engine weight. But I don't know what that number needs to be - I need a different reference. Bump stop clearance might be a poor indicator, but it is at least a better target than the guess and check option I have now.

-Chris

The equation I gave you earlier will tell you how many degrees you need to add to get the lift you need. If you want to go up an inch just figure out how many degrees you need to add to get that amount of lift.
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 7:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear bump stop - clearance? Reply with quote

type11969 wrote:

-Chris

Every bus is different, so we can’t just tell you what angle to set it at. Wildthings posted a equation for you to use, or you can just do trial and era like a lot of us have done.

I had a ‘68 that was at 21*. I moved the spring plate down one spline on the torsion bar and gave me 28*. That was too much at it topped out on the stop over every bump. I went back and readjusted it and settled at 25.5*, which I liked on that bus.

Fast forward a decade and I now have a ‘71 Westy. That measured 21* as well. I took it apart and set it at 26*, figuring that’s close to what I did on the ‘68 and it still sagged in the rear. It was taken apart again and raised another 2* to 28* and it sits just the way I like it now.

So 28* was too much on my ‘68 but perfect on my ‘71. Each bus is different and you’ll just have to get dirty and see what works.

Good luck!
’65 Deluxe Build
type11969
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 7:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear bump stop - clearance? Reply with quote

Thanks guys, I don’t know what lift I need and I’m not asking for an angle, all I’m curious about is a linear dimension off of a stock ride height bus that I can aim for to match. I can perform the trig from there. I’ve already “gotten dirty” and replaced the bushings so I have a known good starting point.

For example, if a stock ride height bus has 8” of clearance to the bottom of the torsion tube, and I currently have 7”, I’ll aim for a 1” lift. I know how to get to a 1” lift. I don’t actually know what the dimension is for a stock ride height bus to determine if a 1” lift is a good target though.

I’ll start with the shared-earlier dim from the wheel center to the bottom of the fender lip.

-Chris
ImAddicted
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 4:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear bump stop - clearance? Reply with quote

Not sure if this is what you are looking for or not. Hard to see bump stops with the wheel on but it tried. I have about 3/4” between bump stop and plate. Spring plate set at 25*.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Tires are 27s

Original condition, which means something different on this forum than anywhere else!
type11969
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 6:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear bump stop - clearance? Reply with quote

Thanks - love those tires!
LouFilia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 10:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear bump stop - clearance? Reply with quote

Wow, sometimes it's hard to get the answer you are looking for on the Samba. I really liked how you kept explaining what you wanted and why and then get the same answer, so you'd try again. I'm glad by the time I got to the end someone had posted a pic because they are a pain (and its dark). I have a solid inch maybe even 1 1/8th-inch clearance. It was small enough to worry me, so I strapped the go pro under there and it actually compresses to give quite bit more travel.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 11:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear bump stop - clearance? Reply with quote

LouFilia wrote:
Wow, sometimes it's hard to get the answer you are looking for on the Samba.

I gave him the answer he needed halfway down the first page.

Quote:
For my van the (distance from) center of the rear wheels to the lips of the wheel well is about 11".

A tape measure can determine the wheel center to lip distance quite accurately, whereas trying to measure the clearance of the bumpstop is pretty subjective and could well vary considerably with the actual size of the bumpstop itself.
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 7:04 am    Post subject: Re: Rear bump stop - clearance? Reply with quote

LouFilia wrote:
Wow, sometimes it's hard to get the answer you are looking for on the Samba. I really liked how you kept explaining what you wanted and why and then get the same answer, so you'd try again. I'm glad by the time I got to the end someone had posted a pic because they are a pain (and its dark). I have a solid inch maybe even 1 1/8th-inch clearance. It was small enough to worry me, so I strapped the go pro under there and it actually compresses to give quite bit more travel.

As I stated above, every bus is different. Your bump stop gap is 1 1/8”, where imaddicted’s gap is 3/4”.

Why is stock so important? The OP’s bus is far from stock with a Subie swap.
’65 Deluxe Build
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 8:11 am    Post subject: Re: Rear bump stop - clearance? Reply with quote

Wait, so you mean my bus shouldn't be resting on the Kong toys when parked?
Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sodbuster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 9:50 am    Post subject: Re: Rear bump stop - clearance? Reply with quote

I'm surprised you are using the rubber snubbers as a reference. Where the spring plate contacts the bottom torsion housing stop seems more accurate to me.

off the top of my head 1/4 to 1/2 inch off of the bottom stop with the vehicle sitting at rest seems about right. Also be advised the inner and outer splines of the torsion bars are not the same spline count. This is for fine degree adjustment of the rear suspension. Idea
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 9:55 am    Post subject: Re: Rear bump stop - clearance? Reply with quote

airschooled wrote:
Robbie

Only if you’re in the back rockin-n-rollin with Two Ton Tessie...
’65 Deluxe Build
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 11:51 am    Post subject: Re: Rear bump stop - clearance? Reply with quote

type11969 wrote:
I have a 76 westy with a subaru conversion - aka more weight hanging off the back end.

you had issues before the swap. a fully dressed subaru engine is lighter than a fully dressed T4

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 12:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear bump stop - clearance? Reply with quote

For shits and giggles I just measured the gaps in my bus. My spring plate has a 1/2” gap between it and the stop and there is 1” of clearance between the kong and the stop.
’65 Deluxe Build
ImAddicted
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 1:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear bump stop - clearance? Reply with quote

airschooled wrote:
Robbie

Noooo, how will you get to the peanut butter if it is on the stops??? Geezzz. Westerners...

richparker wrote:
For shits and giggles I just measured the gaps in my bus. My spring plate has a 1/2” gap between it and the stop and there is 1” of clearance between the kong and the stop.

Couldn't find my tape measure (better half probably put it back where it belongs, which means I'll never find it) so I grabbed what I could. Pretty much 18mm or about 3/4" at the spring plate, about the same at Robbie's dog toy.

Original condition, which means something different on this forum than anywhere else!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: