Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Aircooled automatic transmission external oil cooler questions
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
eamanb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 11:36 am    Post subject: Aircooled automatic transmission external oil cooler questions Reply with quote

Hello Samba,

I'm entertaining doing a subaru EJ25 conversion on my aircooled auto vanagon. My question is concerning the automatic transmission which I had recently rebuilt. Do I need to install an external oil cooler for my aircooled auto tranny if going with the more powerful SUbaru engine? If yes, are there any kits available to do this? I notice all external cooler kits are for waterboxer engines.

Thanks,

Eaman
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 11:44 am    Post subject: Re: Aircooled automatic transmission external oil cooler questions Reply with quote

The kits generally fit the transmission as it sits in the Vanagon, and are not near the engine since the Transmission is way in front of the engine. So, unless you are drastically moving the engine around , clearance wise, they should still work with your stock Transmission. I would think the GoWesty type kit with the hoses, allows for more flexibility . Others can chime in who actually have a Subie transplant installed.
2017 MINI Coopers, our current DDs
‘84 Tin Top - Hilga....Auto
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 12:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Aircooled automatic transmission external oil cooler questions Reply with quote

It’s likely the case from an air cooled auto will not have the inlet and outlet cast into it. I’d be inclined to run an electric pump drawing off the pan to a cooler and returning to the pan. The other option would be a case from a wbx.
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 12:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Aircooled automatic transmission external oil cooler questions Reply with quote

MarkWard wrote:
It’s likely the case from an air cooled auto will not have the inlet and outlet cast into it. I’d be inclined to run an electric pump drawing off the pan to a cooler and returning to the pan. The other option would be a case from a wbx.
Ah yeah, durn, forgot that fun little fact about the early Autotrans Housing/Cases.... Embarassed Embarassed
2017 MINI Coopers, our current DDs
‘84 Tin Top - Hilga....Auto
eamanb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 2:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Aircooled automatic transmission external oil cooler questions Reply with quote

MarkWard wrote:

Yes, I don't have inlet and outlet. So I was thinking would it be possible to use the powersteering pump on the subaru engine to circulate the transmission fluid to the cooler and back since I have manual steering and won't otherwise have any use for the powersteering pump on the subaru engine. Any thoughts on this matter is fully appreciated.
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 3:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Aircooled automatic transmission external oil cooler questions Reply with quote

The power steering pumps are designed to be gravity fed. There is a limit to the height it can lift. You could rig up a clean bucket with a suction and return hose under the van and test. If it quietly primes and pumps, your likely good. Then you can add your fittings to the pan.
Shonandb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2021 7:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Aircooled automatic transmission external oil cooler questions Reply with quote

eamanb wrote:
Hello Samba,

I'm entertaining doing a subaru EJ25 conversion on my aircooled auto vanagon. My question is concerning the automatic transmission which I had recently rebuilt. Do I need to install an external oil cooler for my aircooled auto tranny if going with the more powerful SUbaru engine? If yes, are there any kits available to do this? I notice all external cooler kits are for waterboxer engines.

Thanks,

Eaman

I think that the power steering pump option would work as long as all the air was bled out of the system. They provide a good pressure that would circulate the transmission oil through the pan and cooler and back up to the reservoir and pump as the height difference (top of engine to transaxle pan and back) would be similar to that of a normal Subaru power steering system, just a longer way to travel (maybe 2x). You could easily have outlets welded into the auto transaxle pan and fit a cooler at a reasonable cost, especially since you had your auto box recently rebuilt.

Otherwise, I know Mick from Busaru just used the stock air cooled auto box on a few of his Subaru swaps without any issues. I think it will depend on how you drive it. If you have a heavy foot or are going to be driving up a lot of mountain passes or pulling a trailer, you may want to go the power steering pump route or keep your eyes open for a WBX automatic transaxle. You could always do the swap with your current auto box and look for one from a WBX to be installed at a later date, especially if you want to modify the gearing to lower your cruising RPM.

I did a 2.5L Subaru swap to my 76 Westy and decided to upgrade to a Vanagon Auto box from an 86 to use an external oil cooler. I want to pull a Sport Trailer. Had it rebuilt and pieced together a thermo flow controller and a 24" aluminum finned oil cooler and it works great.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Previous 1973 Panel Bus:
Click to view image
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: