Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

is this a sand seal and can I remove it
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheVintageVw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 3:37 pm    Post subject: is this a sand seal and can I remove it Reply with quote

Sorry for the horrible photo but is that orange piece a sand seal? If yes can I remove it and use an OEM pulley?

Thank you

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
donald.lemay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 3:54 pm    Post subject: Re: is this a sand seal and can I remove it Reply with quote

Yes it is
Some are machined in others are slip in. Pray for slip in. Only way to find out is remove the pulley and measure where the seal rides. Slip in will have a much smaller diameter. Machined in snout will be close to stock diameter.
Good luck
Don
ported polished heads 40x36 valves
010 distributor
VS 42mm exhaust
40 IDF carbs
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 4:02 pm    Post subject: Re: is this a sand seal and can I remove it Reply with quote

The next big question is why is it there?, was the engine puking oil from the pulley?, or is it just the natural progression of adding shiny things?, like a useless bling breather that caused oil to come from the pulley?

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
TheVintageVw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 4:08 pm    Post subject: Re: is this a sand seal and can I remove it Reply with quote

No idea! It actually just started puking oil and it looks to be from the pully area.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
campingbox Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 4:16 pm    Post subject: Re: is this a sand seal and can I remove it Reply with quote

It looks like that motor is set up with a sand seal of some type.

Typically you cut the case to install those, so if it’s leaking you’ll want to replace it with a seal of the same size.

You could probably have a stock pulley machined to work with that seal if you want to have it look more stock.
pyrOman
Fire Master

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 5:03 pm    Post subject: Re: is this a sand seal and can I remove it Reply with quote

That is indeed a “slip in” sand seal and you can remove it and install a stock pulley. However, if it is “puking oilwith the seal already in there, it will make a serious mess without it! Shocked

If it was me, I’d rebuild it AND machine it for the proper sand seal. Cool
chrisflstf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 5:13 pm    Post subject: Re: is this a sand seal and can I remove it Reply with quote

Could just be a bad seal. There are multiple sizes
TheVintageVw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 5:29 pm    Post subject: Re: is this a sand seal and can I remove it Reply with quote

pyrOman wrote:
That is indeed a “slip in” sand seal and you can remove it and install a stock pulley. However, if it is “puking oilwith the seal already in there, it will make a serious mess without it! Shocked

If it was me, I’d rebuild it AND machine it for the proper sand seal. Cool

I think I will do the stock pulley and also hookup the breather line from filler neck to one of my carbs and see if that helps.

I think the biggest challenge now is finding a stock pulley that isnt bent LOL
MrWhoopee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 8:44 am    Post subject: Re: is this a sand seal and can I remove it Reply with quote

What size is the motor? If it's a large motor, the stock filler neck breather tube will not be enough, which is probably why the sand seal was installed. Removing the sand seal will most likely make a bigger mess than you have now. My 2110 is still pushing oil out past the sand seal, though it is much less than before I installed it. Working on the latest breather arrangement to see if I can stop it completely.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TheVintageVw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 9:22 am    Post subject: Re: is this a sand seal and can I remove it Reply with quote

engine is an 1835 with Kadrons. The filler neck vent was just venting to the floor . I did rig up a "Catch can" just to see if I get anything out the tube but it was pretty clean. Now this could be because its coming out by the pulley.
MrWhoopee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 9:54 am    Post subject: Re: is this a sand seal and can I remove it Reply with quote

TheVintageVw wrote:
engine is an 1835 with Kadrons. The filler neck vent was just venting to the floor . I did rig up a "Catch can" just to see if I get anything out the tube but it was pretty clean. Now this could be because its coming out by the pulley.

I wouldn't expect much oil making it out the stock breather. An 1835 isn't that much bigger than stock, but the sand seal was added for a reason. I would suggest upgrading the breathing and maybe get a replacement seal before I removed it completely. Venting to the air cleaners is a topic of disagreement due to the possibility of introducing a significant amount of oil to the fuel mix. I don't see that as a problem here, but keep in mind that there is very little vacuum inside the air cleaner unless the filter is clogged. I see a breather box in your future.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TheVintageVw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 10:09 am    Post subject: Re: is this a sand seal and can I remove it Reply with quote

pulled off the pulley. This isnt machined in right? Just slip on seal?

busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 10:32 am    Post subject: Re: is this a sand seal and can I remove it Reply with quote

I don't have X-ray vision, it looks like one of those press in no machining ones, but until it's out nobody can be sure.

When it is out remove the spacer washer that goes on the crank before fitting the stock pulley.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here

Слава Україні!
TheVintageVw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 11:02 am    Post subject: Re: is this a sand seal and can I remove it Reply with quote

looks press in....

busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 11:32 am    Post subject: Re: is this a sand seal and can I remove it Reply with quote

That aluminum collar has to come out too, it's the "press in" part that holds the seal. Careful prying under the outside edge should do it, unless you can grab it with a 3 jaw puller, put the bolt back in the crank if you use a puller so you don't F up the threads.

Слава Україні!
TheVintageVw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 12:19 pm    Post subject: Re: is this a sand seal and can I remove it Reply with quote

Came out fairly easily.

74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 12:38 pm    Post subject: Re: is this a sand seal and can I remove it Reply with quote

There is usually a spacer in there too when using a sand seal pulley so it does not hit the seal. You need to punch out the woodruff key then get out the spacer if going to a stock pulley with the grooves.
TheVintageVw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 1:10 pm    Post subject: Re: is this a sand seal and can I remove it Reply with quote

yeah thats next. Cant wiggle it out with the key in place?
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 2:30 pm    Post subject: Re: is this a sand seal and can I remove it Reply with quote

Some have a slot, some don't, how's your luck at gambling in general?

Get under the outer tip of the key with a dull chisel or screwdriver, hopefully you can get it moving up before it goes in too far, that may get complicated.
Or if you have a large sharp pair of sidecutters grasp the sides of the key and pry up with the handles to lift it a bit, you may have to file off a bite mark later.

Слава Україні!
donald.lemay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 2:46 pm    Post subject: Re: is this a sand seal and can I remove it Reply with quote

I have a slip in in my garage. I just threw a caliper on the end that goes into the case it’s1.980 and the pulley measures 1.845
Hope this helps
ported polished heads 40x36 valves
010 distributor
VS 42mm exhaust
40 IDF carbs
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: