Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Rear hatch power lock slider - part is NLA?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
shizzon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 4:10 pm    Post subject: Rear hatch power lock slider - part is NLA? Reply with quote

The little rod that the horseshoe shaped piece slides back and forth on on my rear hatch seems to be damaged and I can't find the part anywhere. Does anyone know what this thing is called? I'm not actually sure if I need just the rod or the entire horsehoe thing that pivots, but I can't find either.

Here's a picture that someone else posted that shows what I'm talking about.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

jmranger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 9:43 am    Post subject: Re: Rear hatch power lock slider - part is NLA? Reply with quote

The two names I see are connecting rod and actuator control rod.
I couldn't find a place selling it.
What's the problem exactly ?
shizzon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 10:02 am    Post subject: Re: Rear hatch power lock slider - part is NLA? Reply with quote

The thing that slides was getting 'stuck' and unable to slide because the little spring loaded nub was not able to make it over a divet in the metal (it slides along the piece of metal right by the picture above where the persons finger is). I've filed that down a bit and cleaned/lubed and it seems to be working for now, but I'm not confident its gonna hold forever.
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 7:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear hatch power lock slider - part is NLA? Reply with quote

Sounds like your power rear hatch lock is worn. The U shaped piece with a paddle opposite it that slides on a metal shaft is part of that mechanism.
shizzon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2021 7:33 am    Post subject: Re: Rear hatch power lock slider - part is NLA? Reply with quote

Yes, it is definitely worn. I pulled it, cleaned it, and lubed it and it sort of seems to be working now, which you can see in the second youtube video - but it seems to occasionally get 'caught' in the little divet and be unable to slide. there is also some play in the thing that slides such that when the motor pushes on it it kind of rotates rather than smoothly goes back and forth...

Link

Link

It's now installed in the van, so I'll have to see how long it works. Oh yes, and FWIW the part # for this piece is 251 829 231F
doodledee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2023 8:45 am    Post subject: Re: Rear hatch power lock slider - part is NLA? Reply with quote

i had same issue with very sticky rear hatch power lock linkage. it actually got so sticky that it ended up melting the power lock actuator in the rear hatch, which smelled horrible and thankfully didn't catch van on fire.

my fix was some 220 grit sanding of the surface the linkage slides on. also replaced melted actuator with the newer eurovan actuator, which requires rebuilding the wiring harness. i had put these in driver/passenger doors a few years ago and they have been really solid.

DLJ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2023 9:47 am    Post subject: Re: Rear hatch power lock slider - part is NLA? Reply with quote

I have a fix that Ive done several times. Remove the small brass pin that slides back and forth, there is a small spring inside. Shorten the pin slightly, and reduce a small amount of spring coil.
reassemble and lube.
ALIKA T3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2023 12:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear hatch power lock slider - part is NLA? Reply with quote

The pin bore gets worn out and the pin get cocked sideways fighting the ramps it slides on . Smoothen the ramps angle with a Dremel. I do it all the time at the shop. Another local mechanic always disconnects the rod and blocks the mechanism from sliding by itself with a piece of hose, that's his signature. I find it very annoying mechanics don't put the time to fix things properly, or maybe it was a cheap customer who didn't wanna dump money into the proper repair.

Well, I make my own rods now when they are missing bc it's quite common locally. It's not hard. a piece of ground bare copper wire works well.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=416343
Syncro http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4...num+gadget
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: