Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Philosophical aluminum vs plastic coolant tank discussion
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
pjn_wyo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2021 9:25 am    Post subject: Re: Philosophical aluminum vs plastic coolant tank discussion Reply with quote

bobbyblack wrote:

I run an open system on my outdoor wood boiler, I have radiators that are as far as 20 ft above the boiler. Works fine as long as there is no air in the radiators, and the radiators don't drive down the road and move around at all.

I edited it for you...
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2021 9:45 am    Post subject: Re: Philosophical aluminum vs plastic coolant tank discussion Reply with quote

A dollar saved over a million units is a million bucks. Probably the location of the stock WBX tank was not ideal. Its mounted to the heat shield directly over the catalytic convertor. So, it's likely using engine coolant to cool it. Add cheap manufacturing and it's no wonder the aftermarket plastic tanks don't last.

Moderator Dave I believe, made his own aluminum tank, but admits if he valued his time, the aftermarket bolt in aluminum tank is not a bad deal. It's likely unless they are buying them in bulk from Mexico or China, they are not making much on them. They likely needed something reliable for their own stuff and saw the need for others.

Any vehicle I have owned, prior to a trip, I check all the fluid levels. I also address any small problems before they become big problems. I also carry a jug of water. My experience is a well maintained vehicle, will not leave you stranded and if you are alert, gives you some notice for most immanent failures.
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2021 9:54 am    Post subject: Re: Philosophical aluminum vs plastic coolant tank discussion Reply with quote

I admit, the only time I have ever been sidelined was from a coolant hose rupture. All stock, stuff in my coolant system. The leak was small, the blinkey coolant light caught my eye pretty quick, and in fact stopped when I took my foot off the gas. I ran 'open' for the rest of the ride home, and then replaced hoses.

The one time I had an issue with a plastic tank, I noticed it was looking aged, and had a spare handy. That was on inspection prior to a trip in 2016, and there has been no trouble with it since then. However, it is clearly time for thoroughly thinking through what the next 50K miles will be looking like, as the last 50K have been a total blast, and I want that to continue. I am able, and unafraid of spending some money on what makes the best long term sense, so, thank you all for contributing to this discussion.

Kind Regards,

-bobby
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2021 10:03 am    Post subject: Re: Philosophical aluminum vs plastic coolant tank discussion Reply with quote

valvecovergasket wrote:

do you hang out with a lot of model t guys? im struggling to think of a single modern - even classic - car without a pressurized cooling system

the t didnt even have a water pump - hows that for less failure points! Smile

With a Model T one would often have to stop every few miles to add water. As a kid the watering stations for this purpose were still quite common along the roadways. Today when out exploring along old roads I still espy one every now and then.

If I wanted to design an "open" system on a Vanagon, I would fabricate a larger refill tank and situate it in one of the pillars as high as I could get it. This would give a smallish amount of pressure and more reserve capacity.

FWIW, I have run my 83 1/2 with a drilled OEM style pressure cap for many miles without excess coolant loss, and carry with me today a cap for my aluminium tank that has been modified to not hold pressure which I can use as a "limp home" device in case I have a serious coolant leak somewhere.
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2021 1:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Philosophical aluminum vs plastic coolant tank discussion Reply with quote

Every once in awhile I get to talk to people 'inside' the car manuf circle[ corporate] Plastic tanks have the ability to be molded to fit a given space that a Designer may not have really talked to another person or committee on that formally[ as in, I want it to go HERE, and someone else gets to design the coolant tank to fit that requirement. Add to that , the tank won't corrode, they don't care about Galvanic Metal reaction either and you probably are going to see them used for a long time to come in new vehicles.

What blows all of this up, and I've seen it first hand, is that the first parts maker of that tank sent great products to us with the then new vehicles. Then, later one, a different vendor starts making the tank after the vehicle is long out of warranty and suddenly we have issues that the original tanks never gave us like multiple cracks and leakage from those cracks. Sad Sad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad You then send in pictures of the failures, like repeat parts warranty on the same vehicle over and over within a year, and suddenly Corporate is questioning YOUR sanity, not theirs for sending junk to the Parts Depts..... Shocked Shocked Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

If Bobby, you think it's stressful for one tank- picture Electric Vehicles that have a coolant system just for the electric motors, and then one to create heat for you the driver and your passengers in the HVAC system, and finally one to work with keeping the HV battery at a spec temp if at all possible. Fun.... Razz multiple connections, multiple radiators and two coolant tanks...

I installed the Van Cafe Aluminum tank and never looked back. Sensor works well enough that I don't miss having a sight glass or plastic translucent tank to keep an eye on the coolant level either.
2017 MINI Coopers, our current DDs
‘84 Tin Top - Hilga....Auto
SCM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2021 1:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Philosophical aluminum vs plastic coolant tank discussion Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:

With a Model T one would often have to stop every few miles to add water. As a kid the watering stations for this purpose were still quite common along the roadways. Today when out exploring along old roads I still espy one every now and then.

Wow, that's a really interesting piece of history. What do the watering stations look like?
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2021 4:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Philosophical aluminum vs plastic coolant tank discussion Reply with quote

SCM wrote:
Wildthings wrote:

Wow, that's a really interesting piece of history. What do the watering stations look like?

They varied greatly between who built them and what the watering source was like. Some were peeing trees where a pipe was just laid in the crouch of a tree and others were much fancier. I found one about 5-6 miles to the west of Laughlin, NV which was a large brick tank with brick stairs running up the side, pretty cool to be out in the middle of nowhere.
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2021 4:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Philosophical aluminum vs plastic coolant tank discussion Reply with quote

oddly, still related to the thread topic.... Model T tech talk. thermosiphon cooling and the need to carry extra water!
https://www.enginelabs.com/engine-tech/engine/historic-engines-the-ford-model-t/

'87 Westy & '89 Westy both 2.1 4spd

Past projects can be found at--
www.thefixitworkshop.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2021 7:59 am    Post subject: Re: Philosophical aluminum vs plastic coolant tank discussion Reply with quote

^^^ Fun, quick read...I love learning stuff! Cool

- Dave

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2021 9:40 am    Post subject: Re: Philosophical aluminum vs plastic coolant tank discussion Reply with quote

Is waterless coolant what was being referred to as an "open" cooling system? It apparantly can't really boil (not til over 375 degrees anyway) so pressure never builds up.

One example: https://www.evanscoolant.com/how-it-works/benefits/no-water-pressure/

I looked at this with my TDI Conversion bus when I had some cooling issues.

I also made a thermosyphon to heat a big jug of water with a fire for showering while camping. It's pretty neat how it works.

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2021 10:00 am    Post subject: Re: Philosophical aluminum vs plastic coolant tank discussion Reply with quote

The problem with those coolants is the cooling system needs to be completely flushed of regular coolant and water. They have a special flush that you need to run first and that preps the cooling system for the waterless coolant.

The problem is, you can't carry 4 gallons for backup. Have a cooling system problem and you are a little stuck.

The vanagon cooling system should be more than adequate for most applications. We use a Redline product in our race cars called Water Wetter. You add it to the cooling system and it helps the coolant "stick" to the inner surfaces for better heat dissipation.
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2021 11:58 am    Post subject: Re: Philosophical aluminum vs plastic coolant tank discussion Reply with quote

MarkWard wrote:
The problem with those coolants is the cooling system needs to be completely flushed of regular coolant and water. They have a special flush that you need to run first and that preps the cooling system for the waterless coolant.

The problem is, you can't carry 4 gallons for backup. Have a cooling system problem and you are a little stuck.

The vanagon cooling system should be more than adequate for most applications. We use a Redline product in our race cars called Water Wetter. You add it to the cooling system and it helps the coolant "stick" to the inner surfaces for better heat dissipation.

That's a fair point and perhaps why I decided not to try it. (I honestly don't remember the reasoning, I just didn't.)

I've used Water Wetter, but now wonder if that is little more than an expensive surfactant with some pink added?

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 5:16 am    Post subject: Re: Philosophical aluminum vs plastic coolant tank discussion Reply with quote

Thanks all, for this discussion. It helped me a lot, and I appreciate it.

I now have installed The Tank, and it is a very nice addition to a few other changes now on my 'done that' list. More to come!!

Onward!

-bobby
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: