Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

WBX Emulator - real time data, onboard diagnostics and tuning
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 29, 30, 31  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
DigiMatrix
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2021 2:43 pm    Post subject: Re: WBX Emulator - real time data, onboard diagnostics and tuning Reply with quote

DanHoug wrote:

How is the timing determined without a crankshaft position sensor?

i'd vote for AFM because of so many references to AFMs in the archives.

this entire project is so cool!

The timing is determined using the hall sender:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

As you can see the Hall window starts at 78 deg BTDC and closes at 6 deg BTDC (based on the correct static timing). Because I know the window duration is 72 degrees I use that to get the conversion.

The value I am returning is what is calculated within the ECU for advance from the timing tables. I suspect individual static timing needs to be added to the value I am displaying. I need to confirm that but I only have an old school timing light.

An yes, I have changed the label to AFM already
Digifant ECU with knock sensor and custom
cylinder selective knock control by me

Last edited by DigiMatrix on Sun Jul 18, 2021 8:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2021 3:03 pm    Post subject: Re: WBX Emulator - real time data, onboard diagnostics and tuning Reply with quote

Great project and thanks for making it happen!

If you are up to considering changes I suggest dropping some of the decimal places. No need for fractions of an rpm for example.
Others needn't be more than 2 decimal places and just one would most likely suffice and be easier to decipher while driving.

thanks,
Mark
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2021 5:15 pm    Post subject: Re: WBX Emulator - real time data, onboard diagnostics and tuning Reply with quote

DigiMatrix wrote:

The timing us determined using the hall sender:

ok. that makes sense. need an accurate base timing with a light and then the rest falls into place. i really like having the injector pulse width available.

'87 Westy & '89 Westy both 2.1 4spd

Past projects can be found at--
www.thefixitworkshop.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Aryana
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2021 11:34 pm    Post subject: Re: WBX Emulator - real time data, onboard diagnostics and tuning Reply with quote

Hall sensor on the distributor
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 7:27 am    Post subject: Re: WBX Emulator - real time data, onboard diagnostics and tuning Reply with quote

a basic android phone can be had for $29~$99 from Tracfone.
you do not need to add airtime if you are using just the basic android and wifi features. https://shop.tracfone.com/shop/en/tracfonestore/phones
and if you are planning to have it static mounted for monitoring all the time, I'd suggest a 2nd device so you can use your phone as you already have been

90weekender wrote:
As mentioned...I'm an iOS user, but I found several online resources to run an Android Emulator on mu iOS devices. Some are cloud based and run in a browser. But I'd prefer an Android emulator app on my iphone/pad.

Is this an option?

I'd prefer not to purchase a device for this project.

Thanks
R

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ezee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 1:38 pm    Post subject: Re: WBX Emulator - real time data, onboard diagnostics and tuning Reply with quote

Any possibility you will make one for digijet? I would love one to dial in my 1.9L
DigiMatrix
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 1:53 pm    Post subject: Re: WBX Emulator - real time data, onboard diagnostics and tuning Reply with quote

ezee wrote:
Any possibility you will make one for digijet? I would love one to dial in my 1.9L

It is doubtful, the ECU's this emulator works with already has hardware to output the data. I doubt the digijet ECU has the required hardware. It takes a lot of work to dissassemble the code, figure out how it works and then patch the code to output data. It wasn't too hard for the van digifant because I had already figured out what I needed for my G60 supercharged Passat and Corrado and the van ECU uses the same basic hardware only with some components left off the pcb because it doesn't have knock control, and closed loop idle control like the G60 code.
DigiMatrix
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2021 9:59 am    Post subject: Re: WBX Emulator - real time data, onboard diagnostics and tuning Reply with quote

Update - more work done last night:

All 20 boards are built, bench testing done, need a few final touches, clean and in Van final testing to do. Documentation still needs to be completed but is started.

I hope people understand that these are "For Off Road Use Only". If tuning with these, it is at your own risk - improper changes can lead to undesirable results.
Aryana
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2021 10:02 am    Post subject: Re: WBX Emulator - real time data, onboard diagnostics and tuning Reply with quote

Sahweet!!!
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2021 10:32 am    Post subject: Re: WBX Emulator - real time data, onboard diagnostics and tuning Reply with quote

how in the heck did you do this much SMD soldering? and still have 20 working boards?!! amazing.

'87 Westy & '89 Westy both 2.1 4spd

Past projects can be found at--
www.thefixitworkshop.com
Howesight
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2021 11:00 am    Post subject: Re: WBX Emulator - real time data, onboard diagnostics and tuning Reply with quote

ezee wrote:

It would be possible to replace the Digijet ECU with the Digifant ECU to take advantage of this great platform. There are so many Digifant ECU's out there with harnesses, removed for conversions. Consider contacting Hans at Vanauru or SmallCar Performance or Stefan's Auto Haus and see what they might have on hand from all of their conversions.
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2021 11:28 am    Post subject: Re: WBX Emulator - real time data, onboard diagnostics and tuning Reply with quote

Getting jitters now! 😁

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.
DigiMatrix
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2021 12:09 pm    Post subject: Re: WBX Emulator - real time data, onboard diagnostics and tuning Reply with quote

DanHoug wrote:
how in the heck did you do this much SMD soldering? and still have 20 working boards?!! amazing.

Solder paste, hot air rework station, home made 3rd hand to hold components (in picture above), magnifing glass, tweezers and lots of patience. Very Happy
natejohn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 8:19 pm    Post subject: Re: WBX Emulator - real time data, onboard diagnostics and tuning Reply with quote

DigiMatrix wrote:
DanHoug wrote:

How is the timing determined without a crankshaft position sensor?

i'd vote for AFM because of so many references to AFMs in the archives.

this entire project is so cool!

The timing is determined using the hall sender:

As you can see the Hall window starts at 78 deg BTDC and closes at 6 deg BTDC (based on the correct static timing). Because I know the window duration is 72 degrees I use that to get the conversion.

The value I am returning is what is calculated within the ECU for advance from the timing tables. I suspect individual static timing needs to be added to the value I am displaying. I need to confirm that but I only have an old school timing light.

An yes, I have changed the label to AFM already

Which manual does this page come from?
DigiMatrix
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 8:48 pm    Post subject: Re: WBX Emulator - real time data, onboard diagnostics and tuning Reply with quote

natejohn wrote:

Which manual does this page come from?

It comes from V.A.G. Service 103 (SSP 103) for 1.8 ltr. engine with G-supercharger.

I did edit it to remove the reference to Idle stabilization because the WBX ECU doesn't use the ECU for idle stabilization.
hans j
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 9:54 pm    Post subject: Re: WBX Emulator - real time data, onboard diagnostics and tuning Reply with quote

This is a 1985 distributor, so I'll have to measure a 86 and later, but it shows just over 59* as the window size and around 122* (actually closer to 121 after I zoomed in after saving the screenshot) for the section that's not a window.

If you really want to know what the value is, I'll grab one next week and measure it. I can only get a "reasonably close to TDC" value using an in cylinder pressure transducer, but it would at least give the distributor window degrees.
dabaron
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2021 7:29 am    Post subject: Re: WBX Emulator - real time data, onboard diagnostics and tuning Reply with quote

sooooooooo.....

when can i buy one of these?

*bump*

BiWerks Design, LLC
DigiMatrix
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2021 8:45 am    Post subject: Re: WBX Emulator - real time data, onboard diagnostics and tuning Reply with quote

dabaron wrote:
sooooooooo.....

*bump*

Soon. All 20 are completely assembled just in the final testing stages. I have the emulator installation instructions complete but have to complete the instructions for Tunerpro and ALDLdroid. Too many summer distractions right now, but I will do a push this weekend.
dabaron
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2021 10:58 am    Post subject: Re: WBX Emulator - real time data, onboard diagnostics and tuning Reply with quote

DigiMatrix wrote:
dabaron wrote:
sooooooooo.....

*bump*

Soon. All 20 are completely assembled just in the final testing stages. I have the emulator installation instructions complete but have to complete the instructions for Tunerpro and ALDLdroid. Too many summer distractions right now, but I will do a push this weekend.

i'm just making sure i don't miss out Smile

Popcorn

BiWerks Design, LLC
Steve Arndt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2021 10:58 am    Post subject: Re: WBX Emulator - real time data, onboard diagnostics and tuning Reply with quote

Subscribed. This is a cool project.
What is the signal for on the single wire that gets soldered to the main board?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 29, 30, 31  Next
Jump to:
Page 6 of 31

Jump to: