Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

WBX Emulator - real time data, onboard diagnostics and tuning
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 29, 30, 31  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2021 8:37 am    Post subject: Re: WBX Emulator - real time data, onboard diagnostics and tuning Reply with quote

valvecovergasket wrote:

i wonder how different the van ecu is v. the fwd digi1 box that it sounds like was the springboard for some of this work.
if you could get one of those (sadly also pretty rare...) and reflash it for the van it may open up a few more sources for ecus?

Ya, I was ruminating over the initial discussion about how/where this whole project started, being similar, etc to another product DM was digging into. What models came with that other ECM/ECU?
DigiMatrix
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2021 8:38 am    Post subject: Re: WBX Emulator - real time data, onboard diagnostics and tuning Reply with quote

valvecovergasket wrote:
bobbyblack wrote:
Not sure on this, but seems like there are a limited number of D version ECU's.

i wonder how different the van ecu is v. the fwd digi1 box that it sounds like was the springboard for some of this work.
if you could get one of those (sadly also pretty rare...) and reflash it for the van it may open up a few more sources for ecus?

If you are talking about the Digifant1 ECU used on the Supercharged engine, that can be converted. The pressure sensor would need to be removed, and some components removed, changed and added. Interestingly, they use the exact same main and daughter boards, but the Vanagon version has items removed because it doesn't have cylinder selective knock control and it doesn't control the ISV

Search for 1.8L G60 - some part numbers below (manual trans only)

037906022 B
037906022 DP
037906022 CR
037906022 CQ
037906022 EG
037906022 EH
037906022 DM
037906022 DP
037906022 DQ
Digifant ECU with knock sensor and custom
cylinder selective knock control by me

Last edited by DigiMatrix on Wed Sep 08, 2021 10:00 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
valvecovergasket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2021 8:42 am    Post subject: Re: WBX Emulator - real time data, onboard diagnostics and tuning Reply with quote

DigiMatrix wrote:

If you are talking about the Digifant1 ECU used on the Supercharged engine, that can be converted. The pressure sensor would need to be removed, and some components removed, changed and added. Interestingly, they use the exact same main and daughter boards, but the Vanagon version has items removed because it doesn't have cylinder selective knock control and it doesn't control the ISV

yup thats the one i was thinking of!

its been almost 20 years now i think that i was messing around with running 16vTs on junkyard digi1 setups so my memory is pretty hazy...

bobbyblack wrote:
What models came with that other ECM/ECU?

from what i recall it was only the g60 cars - corrado here in the states, and also the uber rare passats in canada.

gone, but not forgotten: '83 tdi westy - swap thread
DigiMatrix
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2021 8:35 am    Post subject: Re: WBX Emulator - real time data, onboard diagnostics and tuning Reply with quote

PM's have been sent to the first 10 people on the list interested in purchasing the emulator. If you haven't received a pm, please be paitient. I hope to have the remaining 10 from the first run completely tested this coming weekend.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dabaron
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2021 6:15 pm    Post subject: Re: WBX Emulator - real time data, onboard diagnostics and tuning Reply with quote

DigiMatrix wrote:
PM's have been sent to the first 10 people on the list interested in purchasing the emulator. If you haven't received a pm, please be paitient. I hope to have the remaining 10 from the first run completely tested this coming weekend.

Rock Starr!

anyone have a suggestion for the cheapest Android device that will work with this Laughing

BiWerks Design, LLC
DuncanS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2021 7:15 pm    Post subject: Re: WBX Emulator - real time data, onboard diagnostics and tuning Reply with quote

My post about pricing? Here is a guy who doesn't have the necessary Android device and so this is an incremental cost. He wasn't worried about it and ordered one anyway. Nor do I. So our emulators won't cost $150, but something much more and we aren't worried about it. There is obvious elasticity here.

Duncan
DigiMatrix
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2021 7:43 pm    Post subject: Re: WBX Emulator - real time data, onboard diagnostics and tuning Reply with quote

DuncanS wrote:
My post about pricing? Here is a guy who doesn't have the necessary Android device and so this is an incremental cost. He wasn't worried about it and ordered one anyway. Nor do I. So our emulators won't cost $150, but something much more and we aren't worried about it. There is obvious elasticity here.

Duncan

I realize there is more money to be made, but quite honestly, this is a hobby for me and is not about money. I thought long and hard about even offering this at all because I guarantee I will be asked a lot of questions until everyone else is intimately familiar with what the emulator can do. I decided I wanted to help others and give back to the community, so I am.

Thank you for being concerned, I appreciate it.
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2021 9:42 pm    Post subject: Re: WBX Emulator - real time data, onboard diagnostics and tuning Reply with quote

For the amount of work he has done and time involved the price is a steal!

...and you should TIP HIM!

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.
DuncanS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2021 10:12 pm    Post subject: Re: WBX Emulator - real time data, onboard diagnostics and tuning Reply with quote

You bet, and I will. My son used to work in Boston restaurants while putting himself through grad school. He waited on Manny Ramirez, the colorful Red Sox outfielder. Known throughout the Boston restaurant community, Manny would always tip 100%. I might not go that high, but he certainly needs to be recognized for his contribution .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Md8j_Sq5Nbs

Duncan
DigiMatrix
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2021 5:54 am    Post subject: Re: WBX Emulator - real time data, onboard diagnostics and tuning Reply with quote

CessnaJon wrote:
Very excited about this. Any significant difference between the ALDL program or tunerpro? I am not at all familiar with either.

I'm sorry, I seemed to have missed this question. Either program will show the same information for diagnostics, but TunerProRT allows for changing the tune and showing which part of the tuning tables are being accessed by the ECU - called "data tracing".

One significant difference is TunerProRT isn't as straight forward when trying to switch banks or turn on the immobilizer feature - ALDLdroid is just a "Long" press of a button to do this. There is a windows application that is for the Emulator that works in windows that can be used to switch banks, set immobilizer and set the Bluetooth PIN if you are not using an Android device.

Both of these programs have a bit of a learning curve.
DigiMatrix
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2021 11:01 am    Post subject: Re: WBX Emulator - real time data, onboard diagnostics and tuning Reply with quote

First 10 Emulators have now been shipped - finally! Very Happy Information on tracking will be emailed tonight. Moving on to the final testing of the next 10, once those are sent, I will begin assembling the next batch of 20.
valvecovergasket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2021 11:55 am    Post subject: Re: WBX Emulator - real time data, onboard diagnostics and tuning Reply with quote

nice!

whos gonna be the first to start tuning?
seems like it would be worthwhile for the userbase to start collecting good fuel and spark maps to share

gone, but not forgotten: '83 tdi westy - swap thread
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 4:15 am    Post subject: Re: WBX Emulator - real time data, onboard diagnostics and tuning Reply with quote

Woo-Hoo! I got a tracking number!
It's coming by dogsled and will arrive on the 28th! Laughing
(that's a good thing really. it will give me time to read the manual!)

djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 5:00 am    Post subject: Re: WBX Emulator - real time data, onboard diagnostics and tuning Reply with quote

Good to hear that they are ready!

Sounds way Too “computery” for my feeble brain…. But if dabaron has one, I know who to go visit and bring treats to should issues arise…… Laughing

His computer skills leave me way behind in the dust!

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
DigiMatrix
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 9:32 am    Post subject: Re: WBX Emulator - real time data, onboard diagnostics and tuning Reply with quote

Steve M. wrote:

Better start reading, the dogsled team must got some traction when they got to San Francisco. Should now arrive on Sep 20th.
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 11:33 am    Post subject: Re: WBX Emulator - real time data, onboard diagnostics and tuning Reply with quote

The guy with the ad for the "d" $190 ECM could not find it in his pile.. Sad.

There IS one D on the classifieds today tho, but I can't pay $650

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2350361

I'll lurk some more. I know.... having more than one "D" is probably tempting fate anyway.
michaelasnider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 12:25 pm    Post subject: Re: WBX Emulator - real time data, onboard diagnostics and tuning Reply with quote

I'd like to be added to the list!
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 7:04 pm    Post subject: Re: WBX Emulator - real time data, onboard diagnostics and tuning Reply with quote

DigiMatrix wrote:
Steve M. wrote:

Better start reading, the dogsled team must got some traction when they got to San Francisco. Should now arrive on Sep 20th.

What do you Canadians feed those dogs? Laughing

DigiMatrix
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 11:35 am    Post subject: Re: WBX Emulator - real time data, onboard diagnostics and tuning Reply with quote

So I have been informed that at least one person has received their Emulator so far, which is good news. A little update, I am doing the final burn in of the last 4 for the next shipment and will be adding the short wire (so you don't have to go looking for one) and packaging them up for shipment this coming week. I will contacting the remaining people of this first run this coming week.

I also just realized I messed up some tracking numbers, so I have resent the proper ones to those I messed up on.

Some will be delivered on Monday. Who is going to be the first to post a screen shot of theirs working?

For those waiting for the second run, I will begin on those this coming week.
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 10:35 am    Post subject: Re: WBX Emulator - real time data, onboard diagnostics and tuning Reply with quote

Mine is on the USPS truck out for delivery today.
Now I'll just need to find time to play with it!

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 29, 30, 31  Next
Jump to:
Page 9 of 31

Jump to: