Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

WBX Emulator - real time data, onboard diagnostics and tuning
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 29, 30, 31  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dabaron
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 12:39 pm    Post subject: Re: WBX Emulator - real time data, onboard diagnostics and tuning Reply with quote

game on!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

BiWerks Design, LLC
DigiMatrix
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 12:56 pm    Post subject: Re: WBX Emulator - real time data, onboard diagnostics and tuning Reply with quote

Nice!! ^

After pulling the white styrofoam from the 28 pin connector, make sure there is none stuck to the end of the pins. Also, those pins bend/break easily, so go carefully straightening if you bend any. Best to minimize the number of times you install and remove. If someone messes any up, you can always send it back an i'll repair it. I have a proper desoldering station for thru hole connections that makes short work on fixing those.
Digifant ECU with knock sensor and custom
cylinder selective knock control by me
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dabaron
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 1:36 pm    Post subject: Re: WBX Emulator - real time data, onboard diagnostics and tuning Reply with quote

it connects! the Immobilzer works! dude, sweet.

TunerProRT is connected and logging data. killer product, must have for any 2.1 owners with Digifant.

watching the O2 bounce from rich to lean is my new favorite thing.

BiWerks Design, LLC
DigiMatrix
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 3:05 pm    Post subject: Re: WBX Emulator - real time data, onboard diagnostics and tuning Reply with quote

Nice! Yes and if you watch propotional gain, over time it tries to swing between a +'ve reading and a -'ve reading. This is done by adding/subtracting integral gain (long term correction). Also, the rich/stoich/lean flags start to work when the ecu goes closed loop. When the engine first starts it shows lean when it is actually rich. The engine stays open loop until a valid O2 reading is made (580 mv) and the ECT rises above about 64 deg C.
If you want I will change the temperature values to deg F and load an alternate adx file to my OneDrive.

Oh, and a quick way to tell if your temp2 sensor is working properly - first start in the morning, the IAT and ECT reading should be very close to the same. They both use the same voltage divider circuit in the ECU, so same thermistor characteristics.

Last edited by DigiMatrix on Mon Sep 20, 2021 4:01 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dabaron
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 3:13 pm    Post subject: Re: WBX Emulator - real time data, onboard diagnostics and tuning Reply with quote

having the values in American would be helpful… haha

BiWerks Design, LLC
montanasurfer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 3:17 pm    Post subject: Re: WBX Emulator - real time data, onboard diagnostics and tuning Reply with quote

Hey this sounds pretty amazing! Please add me to the list as I'd love to buy one and already have the correct ECU.

Thank you!
DigiMatrix
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 3:20 pm    Post subject: Re: WBX Emulator - real time data, onboard diagnostics and tuning Reply with quote

EMBUT_Vanagon_TunerPro_Ver5.adx has now been added to the files to display Temperatures in degrees F. Sorry ALDLdroid lets you select, but I forgot TunerPro doesn't.
DigiMatrix
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 3:27 pm    Post subject: Re: WBX Emulator - real time data, onboard diagnostics and tuning Reply with quote

dabaron wrote:
it connects! the Immobilzer works! dude, sweet.

The immobilizer has much better functionality with ALDLdroid - all in one functionality with it.

Also as I mentioned before, with it set, when you crank the engine, no spark or fuel, so you won't flood the engine.

Any feedback on the documentation? Were you able to walk through the instructions OK?

Last edited by DigiMatrix on Mon Sep 20, 2021 5:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
dabaron
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 4:10 pm    Post subject: Re: WBX Emulator - real time data, onboard diagnostics and tuning Reply with quote

DigiMatrix wrote:

Any feedback on the documantation? Were you able to walk through the instructions OK?

the circuit instructions were easily followed. i skimmed the TunerProRT guide and had no trouble getting that working after confirming connectivity via EMU BT.

i have a Samsung tablet i'll test with in the next few days.

serious game changer for troubleshooting.

i have the ECU laying in the Westy bench area, have you installed the ECU in the metal frame? if so, how is the BT signal strength?

BiWerks Design, LLC

Last edited by dabaron on Wed Sep 22, 2021 7:03 am; edited 1 time in total
DigiMatrix
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 4:15 pm    Post subject: Re: WBX Emulator - real time data, onboard diagnostics and tuning Reply with quote

dabaron wrote:

i have the ECU laying in the Westy bench area, have you installed the ECU in the metal frame? if so, how is the BT signal strength?

I have done it both ways, under the bench sitting loose and in the proper metal frame. I was able to connect sitting in the drivers seat just fine.

Last edited by DigiMatrix on Mon Sep 20, 2021 4:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
mikemtnbike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 4:16 pm    Post subject: Re: WBX Emulator - real time data, onboard diagnostics and tuning Reply with quote

Thanks for doing this digimatrix. Really neat to watch.
Robw_z
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 7:30 pm    Post subject: Re: WBX Emulator - real time data, onboard diagnostics and tuning Reply with quote

If you do a 3rd run please add me to the list Thank you.

-Rob
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 4:36 am    Post subject: Re: WBX Emulator - real time data, onboard diagnostics and tuning Reply with quote

I know I said it is too “computery” for me but after seeing dabarons…… I asked to be added to the list to get one.

I think for me it would be like the scan gauge in my Prius. It is plugged in, I can look at it anytime while driving….. but I don’t.
It is nice to know it is there ready to give me information though.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
dabaron
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 4:59 am    Post subject: Re: WBX Emulator - real time data, onboard diagnostics and tuning Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:
I know I said it is too “computery” for me but after seeing dabarons…… I asked to be added to the list to get one.

it's pretty quick to install in the ECU, the real pain will be getting your flip phone to load the software Twisted Evil

BiWerks Design, LLC
DuncanS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 5:16 am    Post subject: Re: WBX Emulator - real time data, onboard diagnostics and tuning Reply with quote

Looking forward--with trepidations to mine. Forward, to have all that real time info, trepidations, with my flip phone mentality towards chips 'n invisible stuff. When I was a kid, I used to take things apart to see what made them work. Now when you take things apart, there is nothing to see to figure out how it works.

Current computer capability.......C-. Android? Aren't they the actors in Si Fi movies who look like the photo above if they get a serious wound?

Duncan
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 7:31 am    Post subject: Re: WBX Emulator - real time data, onboard diagnostics and tuning Reply with quote

DuncanS wrote:
Looking forward--with trepidations to mine. Forward, to have all that real time info, trepidations, with my flip phone mentality towards chips 'n invisible stuff. When I was a kid, I used to take things apart to see what made them work. Now when you take things apart, there is nothing to see to figure out how it works.
Duncan

A big hammer and a bigger vocabulary will fix everything.

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.
DigiMatrix
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 8:03 pm    Post subject: Re: WBX Emulator - real time data, onboard diagnostics and tuning Reply with quote

Testing on the next 10 is now complete. I will be sending out e-mails/PM's to the next 10 on the list tomorrow. Will be shipping those I receive payment for, on Monday.

Will be starting the next batch of 20 next week as well. The first 10 should be ready in 2 weeks, with the next 10 2 weeks later.
Bradgt74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 5:13 pm    Post subject: Re: WBX Emulator - real time data, onboard diagnostics and tuning Reply with quote

Hey dabaron, did you solder your wire to C68? I ask because in your picture it isn’t landed there, and maybe the pic was taken before soldering. I’m having second thoughts about soldering myself. I’ve done my fair share of soldering, but not at this nano level! Shocked
notchboy wrote:

You were drinking last night, weren't you Shame on you
DigiMatrix
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 7:21 pm    Post subject: Re: WBX Emulator - real time data, onboard diagnostics and tuning Reply with quote

Bradgt74 wrote:
Hey dabaron, did you solder your wire to C68? I ask because in your picture it isn’t landed there, and maybe the pic was taken before soldering. I’m having second thoughts about soldering myself. I’ve done my fair share of soldering, but not at this nano level! Shocked

His wire wasn't connected to the ECU in that picture. If you feel uncomfortable soldering to where I suggest, you can lengthen the wire and solder the free end to pin 20/28 on the connector. If you look at the internal side of the ECU plug when the ECU is open, the pins are all labelled. I have placed a picture in the Emulator OneDrive folder to show what I mean.
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 5:38 pm    Post subject: Re: WBX Emulator - real time data, onboard diagnostics and tuning Reply with quote

Okay so mine is installed and running on my android phone.
I tried to get it working on my Samsung Tablet S6 Lite and it was a no go.
It's a tablet fault and not the ALDLdroid or Emulator problem. It will just not see the ALDLdroid when looking in the internal storage folder to add the ADX files to the folder. Argh!

If you do not have one of those syringes that vacuum suck the solder off a PCB, (printed circuit board)-buy one before you start! I had to carefully clean the solder out of the C68 hole and it was a major PITA. If I had the solder sucker I would have been done in 2 minutes soldering the BlueTooth wire to the board.

So now to start a thread on the problem I knew I had, but not exactly where it is.

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 29, 30, 31  Next
Jump to:
Page 10 of 31

Jump to: