Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

WBX Emulator - real time data, onboard diagnostics and tuning
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 29, 30, 31  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
natejohn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2021 4:16 pm    Post subject: Re: WBX Emulator - real time data, onboard diagnostics and tuning Reply with quote

Mine has arrived. Nicely packaged and protected. I'll be documenting my install as well sometime this weekend or next.

Since I have a brand new engine harness to install as well, I was thinking I'd install the emulator, take some readings, then install the new harness and take the readings again. More curiosity than anything really. See how a 30 year old harness is behaving vs. a new one.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

montanasurfer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2021 7:10 pm    Post subject: Re: WBX Emulator - real time data, onboard diagnostics and tuning Reply with quote

natejohn wrote:
Mine has arrived. Nicely packaged and protected. I'll be documenting my install as well sometime this weekend or next.

Since I have a brand new engine harness to install as well, I was thinking I'd install the emulator, take some readings, then install the new harness and take the readings again. More curiosity than anything really. See how a 30 year old harness is behaving vs. a new one.

Wow! Getting a comparison of what 30+ years of wear does to a wiring harness would be super cool! I'm super interested to hear what you find!
ManicGTI
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2021 9:07 am    Post subject: Re: WBX Emulator - real time data, onboard diagnostics and tuning Reply with quote

I'm likely way too late to the party here, but very interested in one of these for diagnostic purposes! Any chance you'll make some more?

I've been running Megasquirt in my MX5s/Miatas, so having aftermarket boards doesn't daunt me, lol.
Steve Arndt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2021 9:21 am    Post subject: Re: WBX Emulator - real time data, onboard diagnostics and tuning Reply with quote

Put me on the list. I have ran the Techtonic Tuning chip for years in mine, and still have my stock chip. Perhaps I can log both and document what changes TT did for their performance chip.
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2021 9:51 am    Post subject: Re: WBX Emulator - real time data, onboard diagnostics and tuning Reply with quote

Edit: so from the next post containing better info, I'd have to say I read the thread(s) wrong. Sorry to anyone I offended.

Last edited by bobbyblack on Thu Sep 30, 2021 10:55 am; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DigiMatrix
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2021 10:40 am    Post subject: Re: WBX Emulator - real time data, onboard diagnostics and tuning Reply with quote

From what I know, there was a chip from VW/Bosch that had immediate WOT enrichment and one that was set to a 5000 stroke delay. My 1991 syncro came with the chip with a 5000 stroke delay (hex 1388) 1 267 357 392

I believe the older chip (1 267 355 791) had the WOT delay set to zero. Also, if you have the chip labelled 1 267 356 185 it has the WOT delay set to hex 1388 (5000 strokes) as well.

The Techtonics tuning chip (not the one sold in the classifieds here) has other things done, but the WOT delay is still set for 5000 strokes.

In the second Bank of the Emulators I have included a chip that I set the WOT delay to 22 strokes (hex 16). I think you will not find much difference. In my case I can't really feel the difference when a 5000 lb brick gets a few more HP. You might notice your fuel mileage decrease though.
Digifant ECU with knock sensor and custom
cylinder selective knock control by me

Last edited by DigiMatrix on Sun Oct 03, 2021 8:41 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Steve Arndt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2021 1:19 pm    Post subject: Re: WBX Emulator - real time data, onboard diagnostics and tuning Reply with quote

The best part of the TT chip is better drivability. Not sure how they tuned it. But when under light throttle / trailing throttle and decreasing RPMs, the transition of decell fuel cut is smoother and nicer feeling with the TT chip. It has more mid range power as well.
(I have a RJE 2316 nicely tuned, mansi injectors, better exhaust, IGN1 coil, and a few other things done.)
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2021 4:11 pm    Post subject: Re: WBX Emulator - real time data, onboard diagnostics and tuning Reply with quote

natejohn wrote:

This would be very interesting! 🤓

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.
natejohn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2021 2:50 pm    Post subject: Re: WBX Emulator - real time data, onboard diagnostics and tuning Reply with quote

Did anyone have any trouble getting the wire to fit through the board? I have the hole clear of solder but it’s not fitting through the hole that remains.
DigiMatrix
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2021 3:11 pm    Post subject: Re: WBX Emulator - real time data, onboard diagnostics and tuning Reply with quote

It does fit, but maybe when I stripped and tinned the wire I put too much solder on it. You could cut it shorter and re-strip, put it through the hole and then solder.
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2021 4:02 pm    Post subject: Re: WBX Emulator - real time data, onboard diagnostics and tuning Reply with quote

My hole was completely plugged and I had to remove the solder carefully without the use of a "solder sucker syringe".

What you could try if you think the hole is not fully open is to melt the solder and then quickly before it cools give the board a flick with the wrist to see if the solder flys off...it likes to fly when hot!

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.
9.5isCanadian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2021 4:08 pm    Post subject: Re: WBX Emulator - real time data, onboard diagnostics and tuning Reply with quote

natejohn wrote:
SNIP
Since I have a brand new engine harness to install as well,
SNIP [/img]

Where did you get your new harness from?
I ordered one from Kyle and am still waiting for it.

How the new harness look?
Owen

1987 Getaway Hightop
1980 Sunroof Vanagon
2018 BMW R Nine T
2012 Golf tdi
SyncroHead Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2021 4:13 pm    Post subject: Re: WBX Emulator - real time data, onboard diagnostics and tuning Reply with quote

natejohn wrote:
Did anyone have any trouble getting the wire to fit through the board? I have the hole clear of solder but it’s not fitting through the hole that remains.

On mine, once the solder was sucked out, the wire went in. Little or no room for clearance though, you might need to ream the last tiny bit of solder out of your hole with a tiny drill bit spun between your thumb and finger.

Jim Davis

Check out:
www.VANAVATION.com
www.SyncroSafari.org and
www.Vanagons.org

sphet wrote:
I have *no* idea what the previous owner carried in his Westy... angry donkeys?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
natejohn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2021 4:36 pm    Post subject: Re: WBX Emulator - real time data, onboard diagnostics and tuning Reply with quote

9.5isCanadian wrote:
natejohn wrote:
SNIP
Since I have a brand new engine harness to install as well,
SNIP [/img]

Where did you get your new harness from?
I ordered one from Kyle and am still waiting for it.

How the new harness look?
Owen

I got it from https://vanagoers.com/. I have a thread started about it. It’s brand new from the ground up, connector bodies included. I can’t speak to the other ones available as I havent seen them, but this one is very well made and is nicely labelled at the connection points.
natejohn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2021 7:15 pm    Post subject: Re: WBX Emulator - real time data, onboard diagnostics and tuning Reply with quote

Steve M. wrote:
My hole was completely plugged and I had to remove the solder carefully without the use of a "solder sucker syringe".

What you could try if you think the hole is not fully open is to melt the solder and then quickly before it cools give the board a flick with the wrist to see if the solder flys off...it likes to fly when hot!

Haha i did give that a go as well, but for some reason it was just not working for me. I also tried thinning down the tinned end of the wire but that didn't seem to work either.

SyncroHead wrote:
natejohn wrote:

On mine, once the solder was sucked out, the wire went in. Little or no room for clearance though, you might need to ream the last tiny bit of solder out of your hole with a tiny drill bit spun between your thumb and finger.

Jim Davis

I probably should have gone with that method. I did poke around in the hole a little to try and work out any ridges or anything else hanging around but seemed to make little difference, if not make it more difficult.

At around that point the wire from the emulator broke free from it's position, and I humbly asked DigiMatrix if he'd take over for me. So my ECU is on its way to him tomorrow.
DigiMatrix
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2021 9:57 pm    Post subject: Re: WBX Emulator - real time data, onboard diagnostics and tuning Reply with quote

For those not wanting to try and install the single wire into the ECU printed circuit board, I have updated the installation instructions for an alternate location if you choose.

The other option is to send me your ECU and I'll do the install. It would be best (if you choose me to install it for you) that you let me know before I send the emulator. An ECU makes a great way to package and ship the Emulator. If it is crossing the Border, you can ship the ECU for repair/replacement and I'll ship it back the same way.

Please let me know once I contact you when your Emulator is ready what your preference is. If I know you want to use the alternate location I will include a longer wire to reach the alternate location.
montanasurfer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2021 11:52 am    Post subject: Re: WBX Emulator - real time data, onboard diagnostics and tuning Reply with quote

How are the installs going folks? Y'all finding any good tunes yet? Any improved performance or gas mileage?
4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2021 12:10 pm    Post subject: Re: WBX Emulator - real time data, onboard diagnostics and tuning Reply with quote

Mine arrived, but it looks like I am pulling the trans very soon so I'm out on feedback for awhile. Confused
DigiMatrix
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2021 12:10 pm    Post subject: Re: WBX Emulator - real time data, onboard diagnostics and tuning Reply with quote

montanasurfer wrote:
How are the installs going folks? Y'all finding any good tunes yet? Any improved performance or gas mileage?

The required XDF file for tuning hasn't been released yet. I'm still working on it in the evenings. Other personal commitments have been slowing me down. Hopefully in the next 2 or 3 weeks.
korfmach
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2021 12:58 pm    Post subject: Re: WBX Emulator - real time data, onboard diagnostics and tuning Reply with quote

Install was no problem, although the wire was a tight fit. I've enjoyed playing around with the ALDLDroid interface--nothing too surprising to see so far. My WBX has been running quite well the last several months so I didn't expect to see anything earth-shaking. Performance/economy has been identical to the original, which I expected since IIRC it's the stock fuel/spark/injection map.

The GPS speed readout has been useful for determining the speedo error associated with my 195-section Hankooks--60 mph indicated is about 64 actual.

DigiMatrix, really impressed with this work! The emulator is great and the documentation supplied is clear, complete, and easy to follow.

Gone, but not forgotten:
1974 Dorper Baywindow, "The Bleeding Trout"
1998 Jetta TDI, "Trixie"
1987 GTI, "Heike"
1974 Thing, "The Luftwaffel"
1974 Ghia
1966 Ghia
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 29, 30, 31  Next
Jump to:
Page 12 of 31

Jump to: