Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

WBX Emulator - real time data, onboard diagnostics and tuning
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 29, 30, 31  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
DigiMatrix
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2021 10:32 pm    Post subject: Re: WBX Emulator - real time data, onboard diagnostics and tuning Reply with quote

When the Emulator looses connection with the ECU data output because of poor soldering it can cause the engine to stumble or stall. This is why I have been saying it is very important to solder the wire to the ECU properly. I have updated the installation instructions with 3 options depending on your skill level.

Please use solder flux and don't apply too much heat. In all 3 cases I have had to re-solder the connection and testing shows the issue is solved.

To test if the issue is the connection to ECU, use your laptop and connect with the Windows application and de-select the "enable digidiag" checkbox on the bank you are using. This turns off the output from the ECU and will solve the issue if it is a poor solder connection until the connection can be properly repaired. If it doesn't solve the issue then e-mail me and I will make arrangements to correct the issue.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Digifant ECU with knock sensor and custom
cylinder selective knock control by me
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Vana Guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 2:54 pm    Post subject: Re: WBX Emulator - real time data, onboard diagnostics and tuning Reply with quote

Not sure if this has been mentioned, or if an Android phone is suitable for the emulator, but when I need an Android device I buy a reconditioned phone from Tracfone. What is available depends on your location. I was getting some very nice LG rebel phones for $10.00 + $15.00 (cell service, 30 days, you have to by some cell service to buy the phone) The phones work well after the service expires, or you can just sell the service to someone. They do not need to be activated to work.
Around Christmas you can find these phones on sale in stores, sometimes for $20.00, but you don't need to buy service when purchased from store, typically.
DigiMatrix
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 8:20 am    Post subject: Re: WBX Emulator - real time data, onboard diagnostics and tuning Reply with quote

DuncanS wrote:
When I was a kid and wanted something I had reasonably good luck with my North Pole supplier. Have you tried writing Santa? I hear he may now respond to emails, but not texts. Hope he doesn't have to disappoint many this December.

So, I guess Santa also reads posts on the Samba. This morning my wife told me a parcel arrived for me. She went and grabbed it to show me and it was from Mouser Elecrtonics. 25 more microprocessors that weren't supposed to be available until Feb 4th, 2022. So, now I will try and up my game and get people taken care of before Chrisrmas.

I also just noticed there are 3 "D" version ECU's available in the classifieds right now that will work with the emulator if you are looking for one.

Last edited by DigiMatrix on Sat Oct 23, 2021 11:14 am; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 9:10 am    Post subject: Re: WBX Emulator - real time data, onboard diagnostics and tuning Reply with quote

Please add me to the list and if available I'd like a second one for multiple van owning friends to borrow.

thanks,
Mark

DigiMatrix wrote:
This morning my wife told me a parcel arrived for me. She went and grabbed it to show me and it was from Mouser Elecrtonics. 25 more microprocessors that weren't supposed to be next available until Feb 4th, 2022. So, now I will try and up my game and get people taken care of before Chrisrmas.
jb20thae
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 10:05 pm    Post subject: Re: WBX Emulator - real time data, onboard diagnostics and tuning Reply with quote

Very interested, sent PM
Bradgt74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 8:11 pm    Post subject: Re: WBX Emulator - real time data, onboard diagnostics and tuning Reply with quote

Just got it connected!!! I like the 8" Fire Tablet size, now time for me to customize the display.

notchboy wrote:

You were drinking last night, weren't you Shame on you
DigiMatrix
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2021 12:43 pm    Post subject: Re: WBX Emulator - real time data, onboard diagnostics and tuning Reply with quote

Nice, Bradgt74 glad you have it working.

Diagnostic TIP

To help diagnose tempII sensor, if you turn your ignition on before the first start of the day, and connect to the Emulator both values of ECT and IAT should be very close to the same value. You can see this in the image posted above, although I suspect the ECT was already on the rise because the engine is running.

Why:
In the "D" version ECU the voltage divider used for the ECT input and the IAT input is the same going to the A/D convertor. The service manual also states that the resistance values are the same for the sender for intake air temperature(G42) and the Coolant temperature sensor (G18). Thus it makes sense that if your engine is left to cool, the outside air temperature and the coolant temperature should approach the same value. Not a perfect method because quickly changing outside temperature can mess up the readings, but it is a quick check if you suspect problems.

Here is one of my screen shots - both values are the same and it was my first start of the day at 5:00 pm

natejohn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2021 6:18 pm    Post subject: Re: WBX Emulator - real time data, onboard diagnostics and tuning Reply with quote

DigiMatrix wrote:

Diagnostic TIP

To help diagnose tempII sensor, if you turn your ignition on before the first start of the day, and connect to the Emulator both values of ECT and IAT should be very close to the same value. You can see this in the image posted above, although I suspect the ECT was already on the rise because the engine is running.

Why:
In the "D" version ECU the voltage divider used for the ECT input and the IAT input is the same going to the A/D convertor. The service manual also states that the resistance values are the same for the sender for intake air temperature(G42) and the Coolant temperature sensor (G18). Thus it makes sense that if your engine is left to cool, the outside air temperature and the coolant temperature should approach the same value. Not a perfect method because quickly changing outside temperature can mess up the readings, but it is a quick check if you suspect problems.

Here is one of my screen shots - both values are the same and it was my first start of the day at 5:00 pm

I noticed the same when I took my warmup vid. Interesting how ours are exactly the same.

Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2021 6:48 pm    Post subject: Re: WBX Emulator - real time data, onboard diagnostics and tuning Reply with quote

natejohn wrote:
DigiMatrix wrote:

Diagnostic TIP

Why:

I noticed the same when I took my warmup vid. Interesting how ours are exactly the same.

Mine also says 78 degrees advanced timing.

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.
DigiMatrix
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2021 7:20 pm    Post subject: Re: WBX Emulator - real time data, onboard diagnostics and tuning Reply with quote

Steve M. wrote:

Mine also says 78 degrees advanced timing.

That is perfectly normal, because timing in the ECU is calculated once the ECU starts seeing Hall pulses. Since just the ignition is on and the engine is not turning over it hasn't calculated the timing value yet and
Advance = 78-(calculated value).

See picture below once the engine starts turning over - only at 189 RPM so not even up to cranking speed yet.

montanasurfer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2021 9:05 pm    Post subject: Re: WBX Emulator - real time data, onboard diagnostics and tuning Reply with quote

I am now even more excited for this WBX emulator as I just encountered a running issue tonight! Cut outs both at 60 mph and at idle, engine hot. I suspect the AFM. Any updates on the next batches?
DigiMatrix
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2021 10:30 pm    Post subject: Re: WBX Emulator - real time data, onboard diagnostics and tuning Reply with quote

Was working on them again tonight. I got 6 more built with some testing. I now have a total of 16 built and am in the midst of testing them. I have all the parts on hand to build 4 more. I then have to buy 21 more PCB's for run 3 (have the other parts on hand for that run)

montanasurfer it's going to be about 2 weeks before I can ship yours (it is built). Hoping to maybe ship some next Monday if I find enough time this weekend to test in my Van. Bench testing continues - burn in, SRAM testing, loading files, flashing firmware Connecting to TunerpPro, the Windows application, and ALDLdroid - it's a process that takes time.
montanasurfer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2021 8:28 am    Post subject: Re: WBX Emulator - real time data, onboard diagnostics and tuning Reply with quote

DigiMatrix wrote:
Was working on them again tonight. I got 6 more built with some testing. I now have a total of 16 built and am in the midst of testing them. I have all the parts on hand to build 4 more. I then have to buy 21 more PCB's for run 3 (have the other parts on hand for that run)

montanasurfer it's going to be about 2 weeks before I can ship yours (it is built). Hoping to maybe ship some next Monday if I find enough time this weekend to test in my Van. Bench testing continues - burn in, SRAM testing, loading files, flashing firmware Connecting to TunerpPro, the Windows application, and ALDLdroid - it's a process that takes time.

Oh my goodness! What a great update to hear! I am continually grateful for all your hard work! My running issue is intermittent so I am so very excited about the data logging aspect! This is just such a rad product! You rock DigiMatrix!
9.5isCanadian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2021 10:12 am    Post subject: Re: WBX Emulator - real time data, onboard diagnostics and tuning Reply with quote

DigiMatrix wrote:
>SNIP< it's a process that takes time.

I appreciate your work and am still willing to prepay to finance the purchase of more parts for your next run.

A word of caution though, I started making stove grates for the cook top, there's a thread on here somewhere, and it quickly grew in scope. I found I was spending a lot of time making parts and not working on or enjoying my van.

I was a little relieved when our two countries had a tariff / NAFTA spat that drove the cost of material and shipping up to the point I couldn't justify making them at the price I was selling them for.

You are making a great product but don't burn out.

1987 Getaway Hightop
1980 Sunroof Vanagon
2018 BMW R Nine T
2012 Golf tdi
xavior12
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2021 3:45 pm    Post subject: Re: WBX Emulator - real time data, onboard diagnostics and tuning Reply with quote

I'd like to get in on the next batch with tuning ability.
DigiMatrix
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2021 5:05 pm    Post subject: Re: WBX Emulator - real time data, onboard diagnostics and tuning Reply with quote

xavior12 wrote:
I'd like to get in on the next batch with tuning ability.

You have been added to the list. The tuning ability is possible with the purchase - same price. I have not released it yet because I don't have the time to complete the needed file. Once it is ready, it will be available to all.
DigiMatrix
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2021 5:27 pm    Post subject: Re: WBX Emulator - real time data, onboard diagnostics and tuning Reply with quote

So... there is going to be a delay shipping out the second batch of Emulators. Unfortunately we have been evacuated from our town due to flooding. Not sure when we will be allowed back. The water treatment plant has been compromised so it might be a while - hope not. If you search Merritt BC you'll see the pictures. We are up high on a hill, so will not have the damage others in the lower areas will.
montanasurfer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2021 5:30 pm    Post subject: Re: WBX Emulator - real time data, onboard diagnostics and tuning Reply with quote

DigiMatrix wrote:
So... there is going to be a delay shipping out the second batch of Emulators. Unfortunately we have been evacuated from our town due to flooding. Not sure when we will be allowed back. The water treatment plant has been compromised so it might be a while - hope not. If you search Merritt BC you'll see the pictures. We are up high on a hill, so will not have the damage others in the lower areas will.

Oh my gosh! I hope you and your loved ones stay safe and dry! What a horrible situation! I'm glad to hear that your property is safely up on a hill. What a nightmare! First wildfires and now floods Sad
9.5isCanadian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2021 5:45 pm    Post subject: Re: WBX Emulator - real time data, onboard diagnostics and tuning Reply with quote

DigiMatrix wrote:

I was looking at the news. The storm just blew through here an hour ago. Wife says our place is still dry but there’s no way we’ll be anywhere near as bad as you have it.
Stay safe my friend.
Owen

1987 Getaway Hightop
1980 Sunroof Vanagon
2018 BMW R Nine T
2012 Golf tdi
DigiMatrix
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2021 6:37 pm    Post subject: Re: WBX Emulator - real time data, onboard diagnostics and tuning Reply with quote

I got back home yesterday afternoon so testing has re-started. Our mail service from Merritt hasn't resumed yet so I don't know when I will be shipping the next batch.

I did, however use some of my time away working on a Vanagon fuel calculator that will help with tuning for changes to your engine. The calculator loads the Vanagon binary and does the fuel calculation from the fuel tables and displays them as injector pulse width. It can also convert from injector pulse width back to the fuel table values. This is helpful because if you are running different injectors, you can scale the injector pulse width table and it will automatically calculate what the new fuel table should be. Say like Marco injectors and ratio rockers for instance. I will show more detail when I am finished.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 29, 30, 31  Next
Jump to:
Page 14 of 31

Jump to: