Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

WBX Emulator - real time data, onboard diagnostics and tuning
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 29, 30, 31  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
DigiMatrix
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 1:44 pm    Post subject: Re: WBX Emulator - real time data, onboard diagnostics and tuning Reply with quote

davlance01 wrote:
Very cool.

Are you guys open sourcing it or starting a business around it?

I'm running digijet, thinking about hacking it up to my ecu so if it's all closed I doubt I can do anything with it.

Neither, not a business, just doing some to try and help the community. Digijet is a whole different animal and this would not help, different processor, and I don't know the code, or supporting hardware.

The 20 I am building are now all spoken for unless someone backs out.
Digifant ECU with knock sensor and custom
cylinder selective knock control by me
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hellvetica
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 7:16 pm    Post subject: Re: WBX Emulator - real time data, onboard diagnostics and tuning Reply with quote

Please put me down on the list if someone backs out. Thanks.
DigiMatrix
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 9:03 am    Post subject: Re: WBX Emulator - real time data, onboard diagnostics and tuning Reply with quote

Update:
Bluetooth modules finally made it to Canada. Should have them now in 3 to 5 business days.
Also, someone asked so I'll mention it here. If anyone wants me to install the emulator for them, then they can ship their ECU to me and I'll do it for them. I will post instruction so you can determine what you want to do. It really only involves soldering one end of a wire once the ECU is opened up.
If I do it for you it will work like this:
1) You send me your ECU
2) I test your ECU to ensure it is working correctly prior to me doing anything
3) If it passes the testing, I will proceed and install and test your emulator and send it back (shipping cost is yours anyway)
4) if it doesn't pass testing you will be informed and we can discuss next steps

I hope this offer is a reasonable approach for those reluctant to do this themselves, but it will delay how fast delivering these units will happen. After all, I do have a full time job and it is camping season.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Nwilgus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 7:08 am    Post subject: Re: WBX Emulator - real time data, onboard diagnostics and tuning Reply with quote

DigiMatrix wrote:
davlance01 wrote:
Very cool.

Are you guys open sourcing it or starting a business around it?

I'm running digijet, thinking about hacking it up to my ecu so if it's all closed I doubt I can do anything with it.

Neither, not a business, just doing some to try and help the community. Digijet is a whole different animal and this would not help, different processor, and I don't know the code, or supporting hardware.

I'm also running a digijet and would like to have something like this. I'd encourage you to open source it under a Creative Commons or Creative Commons Sharealike license depending on how much you want to allow others to do with it. You can read about them and look at other options here:

https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/
https://creativecommons.org/choose/

Open source is a great way to help the community even if you want to make a business out of it. Most people aren't inclined to do the parts sourcing and soldering to make the boards so there's a market for premade boards. And if you decide you don't want to do that anymore, all your hard work doesn't get lost into obscurity because there are others with the ability to continue improving and modifying the groundwork you've created. Most of the internet as we know it today is heavily built on open source software and hardware developed by hobbyists.
Aryana
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 10:37 am    Post subject: Re: WBX Emulator - real time data, onboard diagnostics and tuning Reply with quote

Can you make mph an option for speed units too?
DigiMatrix
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 11:50 am    Post subject: Re: WBX Emulator - real time data, onboard diagnostics and tuning Reply with quote

Aryana wrote:
Can you make mph an option for speed units too?

That feature is built into ALDLdroid, you just choose the units in settings for GPS speed.
Please note that speed is only available using ALDLdroid because it is getting GPS data from your phone.
ALDLdriod also has this feature from data logs to show where you have driven from your saved GPS data.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Aryana
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 2:30 pm    Post subject: Re: WBX Emulator - real time data, onboard diagnostics and tuning Reply with quote

Thanks. I will be buying an android device specifically for the van. I have an iPhone but this is so worth it.
DigiMatrix
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2021 7:56 am    Post subject: Re: WBX Emulator - real time data, onboard diagnostics and tuning Reply with quote

Update: I am sorry the progress is slow. Finally got the Bluetooth modules yesterday. They are all now programmed with the correct settings. Will be assembling the boards during the week and next weekend.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Aryana
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2021 9:07 pm    Post subject: Re: WBX Emulator - real time data, onboard diagnostics and tuning Reply with quote

Awesome. Will you be sending messages to the folks on the list when you're ready to receive cash?
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2021 9:48 pm    Post subject: Re: WBX Emulator - real time data, onboard diagnostics and tuning Reply with quote

Awesome! We want them, but don't kill yourself getting them together.

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.
DigiMatrix
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2021 4:43 pm    Post subject: Re: WBX Emulator - real time data, onboard diagnostics and tuning Reply with quote

Aryana wrote:
Awesome. Will you be sending messages to the folks on the list when you're ready to receive cash?

Yes I will. I also have to get going on some more documentation so I can send that along to ease the learning curve. With ALDLdroid, the data from the adx file will all be there, but you have to make up your own dashboard. I will do a write up to explain how to do that. I have figured out a few tricks that I will document and pass along to make things easier.
Bradgt74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2021 8:07 pm    Post subject: Re: WBX Emulator - real time data, onboard diagnostics and tuning Reply with quote

I’m super excited for this! Thanks for all the effort to make this a reality.
notchboy wrote:

You were drinking last night, weren't you Shame on you
dabaron
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2021 7:23 am    Post subject: Re: WBX Emulator - real time data, onboard diagnostics and tuning Reply with quote

thanks for the update, i was on vacation in Vermont and was hoping there was good news while i was climbing mountains and drinking hazy IPA's.

BiWerks Design, LLC
jokeraus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2021 8:09 am    Post subject: Re: WBX Emulator - real time data, onboard diagnostics and tuning Reply with quote

PMed you if there was still one available otherwise put me down for the next batch!
90weekender
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2021 11:43 pm    Post subject: Re: WBX Emulator - real time data, onboard diagnostics and tuning Reply with quote

Are you saying this device can help me quickly diagnose issues with Digifant?

I've spent hours studying the forum to learn how it's been done and if this thing can save me hours of testing wires and other procedures I don't want to learn then I'd be down for one.

I'll check my serial numbers for compatibility before I commit. Assuming there will be a second batch.

Thanks for your contribution. Could be a game changer.
R
DigiMatrix
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2021 8:22 am    Post subject: Re: WBX Emulator - real time data, onboard diagnostics and tuning Reply with quote

90weekender wrote:

I've spent hours studying the forum to learn how it's been done and if this thing can save me hours of testing wires and other procedures I don't want to learn then I'd be down for one.

I'll check my serial numbers for compatibility before I commit. Assuming there will be a second batch.

R

Yes, this will reduce time troubleshooting issues. The information is gathered as the ECU sees it. So, if there is an intermittent connection between a device (AFM, ECT sensor, IAT sensor, O2 sensor, Throttle switch, Hall sensor etc.) and the ECU you will be able to record it and see what is going on. I also show if the ECT temperature sensor is connected at ECU power up, because if it isn't, the timing is set to a fixed value and your engine will have no power. Of course you will see the timing in the display, but you will know why it looks odd. The code to output the data is set up so it works with only the ignition on. So by just turning on the ignition and connecting to the emulator, you can see all the information before starting the engine. By disconnecting your coil you can even watch/record your cranking speed. The RPM display is able to read down to 2 RPM.
The issue I mentioned in an above post that I had with the ECT sensor/connection I was able to get going again and continued my weekend camping. However, when I got home and continued to watch the ECT value, I am still noticing a random dropout of the ECT reading which tells me I need to look into it further. I will start by just connecting a new sensor and see if the reading continues to drop out. If it does, I don't have to worry about the sensor and I can chase the wiring between the ECT sensor and the ECU.

I hope this illustrates what you are asking about. Not sure when a next run might be, but there may be some other options for the few people that didn't make the first run. I need to get the documentation and the first run out of the way before I move to that.

Edit: Leaving on the immobilizer to check cranking speed obviously doesn't work because it disables the Hall sensor in code - don't know what I was thinking!!. Just disconnect (electrically) the injectors to perform the test.

Last edited by DigiMatrix on Sat Jul 03, 2021 11:47 am; edited 3 times in total
90weekender
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2021 10:59 am    Post subject: Re: WBX Emulator - real time data, onboard diagnostics and tuning Reply with quote

Thanks DigiMatrix,

I'll check my ECU part number today and get back to you.

R
natejohn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2021 1:06 am    Post subject: Re: WBX Emulator - real time data, onboard diagnostics and tuning Reply with quote

DigiMatrix wrote:
90weekender wrote:

R

Yes, this will reduce time troubleshooting issues. The information is gathered as the ECU sees it. So, if there is an intermittent connection between a device (AFM, ECT sensor, IAT sensor, O2 sensor, Throttle switch, Hall sensor etc.) and the ECU you will be able to record it and see what is going on. I also show if the ECT temperature sensor is connected at ECU power up, because if it isn't, the timing is set to a fixed value and your engine will have no power. Of course you will see the timing in the display, but you will know why it looks odd. The code to output the data is set up so it works with only the ignition on. So by just turning on the ignition and connecting to the emulator, you can see all the information before starting the engine. By leaving the immobilizer option enabled you can even watch/record your cranking speed. The RPM display is able to read down to 2 RPM.
The issue I mentioned in an above post that I had with the ECT sensor/connection I was able to get going again and continued my weekend camping. However, when I got home and continued to watch the ECT value, I am still noticing a random dropout of the ECT reading which tells me I need to look into it further. I will start by just connecting a new sensor and see if the reading continues to drop out. If it does, I don't have to worry about the sensor and I can chase the wiring between the ECT sensor and the ECU.

I hope this illustrates what you are asking about. Not sure when a next run might be, but there may be some other options for the few people that didn't make the first run. I need to get the documentation and the first run out of the way before I move to that.

As someone who diagnoses heavy equipment that's heavily reliable on J1939 CANBUS this will be an absolute godsend.
Crankey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2021 11:02 am    Post subject: Re: WBX Emulator - real time data, onboard diagnostics and tuning Reply with quote

I don't need this but I wanted to ask is this kind of thing done in other automotive circles or more intrinsic to the vanagon crowd ?
It's fricken mind blowing.
DigiMatrix
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2021 11:57 am    Post subject: Re: WBX Emulator - real time data, onboard diagnostics and tuning Reply with quote

Crankey wrote:
I don't need this but I wanted to ask is this kind of thing done in other automotive circles or more intrinsic to the vanagon crowd ?
It's fricken mind blowing.

I'm not sure which task this device can perform that you are asking about but I would have to answer yes. Depending on the other automotive circles you are talking about, the tuning and emulation aspect are used on many other vehicles. The use of ALDLdroid or TunerPro to watch what is happening with your engine is also very common provided the ECU is capable of outputting data (most 1996 and newer vehicles can).

In this particular instance (for the WBX engine running later Bosch ECU), the code is added to make this happen. The hardware was there in the ECU, but not the code. The immobilizer feature was added because it is important for Vanagon owners and requires no addition hardware other than the Emulator itself and an android smart phone. No adding relays, hidden switches or messing with the factory wiring.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 29, 30, 31  Next
Jump to:
Page 4 of 31

Jump to: