Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

WBX Emulator - real time data, onboard diagnostics and tuning
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 29, 30, 31  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aryana
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2021 12:16 pm    Post subject: Re: WBX Emulator - real time data, onboard diagnostics and tuning Reply with quote

Crankey wrote:
I don't need this but I wanted to ask is this kind of thing done in other automotive circles or more intrinsic to the vanagon crowd ?
It's fricken mind blowing.

OBD II

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/On-board_diagnostics
90weekender
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2021 12:35 pm    Post subject: Re: WBX Emulator - real time data, onboard diagnostics and tuning Reply with quote

My ECU is the “D” unit as required. So, as an iOS user the android verse is new to me. Can you recommend a device?

I expect it will only be I used for this project.

Thanks
R
Crankey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2021 12:46 pm    Post subject: Re: WBX Emulator - real time data, onboard diagnostics and tuning Reply with quote

I'm just talking about bringing modern computer stuff to 30-40 year old vehicles generally..
It's amazing to me. I mean it's not just power door locks.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Aryana
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2021 1:19 pm    Post subject: Re: WBX Emulator - real time data, onboard diagnostics and tuning Reply with quote

Crankey wrote:
I'm just talking about bringing modern computer stuff to 30-40 year old vehicles generally..
It's amazing to me. I mean it's not just power door locks.

The period of time that vehicles were computer controlled but without OBD was very short.

A retrofit to pull diagnostic info out of the existing platform on vehicles in this era is few and far between. The Vanagon is a good candidate, but you won't be seeing this done on a lot of vehicles of the same era.

Here is a tool that has been around awhile that is archaic compared to what is being done here, but the idea is the same without the ability to modify any of the ECU parameters (just monitor them).

https://www.vancafe.com/ElectricalDiagnosisT-p/electricaldiagnosist.htm

It's basically a multimeter that taps into the ECU and allows you to drive while watching the various values of interest.

This emulator is magnitudes more useful IMO, especially with the option to change critical parameters and the output.
90weekender
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2021 4:47 pm    Post subject: Re: WBX Emulator - real time data, onboard diagnostics and tuning Reply with quote

So I know I'm late for the first batch, but put me on the wait list if someone drops out. This kit will save me a ton of time.

How do I pay you?

Thanks,
R
leecat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2021 6:20 pm    Post subject: Re: WBX Emulator - real time data, onboard diagnostics and tuning Reply with quote

I was shocked to be reading this and then suddenly realize I have met DigiMatrix in person and had the tour of his (gorgeous) van. Super nice guy and extremely smart.

Just wanted to say that IF anyone ends up making a 1.9 Digijet version I'd be all over that, to echo others chiming in higher in the thread.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2021 8:05 pm    Post subject: Re: WBX Emulator - real time data, onboard diagnostics and tuning Reply with quote

90weekender wrote:
My ECU is the “D” unit as required. So, as an iOS user the android verse is new to me. Can you recommend a device?

I expect it will only be I used for this project.

Thanks
R

Well, I am not a fanboy of the megalithic big "G" google, the Pixel series seems solid. The Pixel 3 in the Google Edition can be boot modified to use an OS called LineageOS (.org) which supports the device with security updates for a long time to come. The 4's too. Just be sure to get a Google Edition unit, which can be booted to your choice of OS... Anyway, it is geeky, and something I do once in a while.
DigiMatrix
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2021 11:31 pm    Post subject: Re: WBX Emulator - real time data, onboard diagnostics and tuning Reply with quote

Well, I finally made some progress tonight, 3 hours of soldering on processors to the PCBs. Fun stuff - 64 legs each.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Hopefully I will find some more time to continue tomorrow.
Digifant ECU with knock sensor and custom
cylinder selective knock control by me
Aryana
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2021 12:01 am    Post subject: Re: WBX Emulator - real time data, onboard diagnostics and tuning Reply with quote

That's a lot of tedious work!
natejohn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2021 6:00 pm    Post subject: Re: WBX Emulator - real time data, onboard diagnostics and tuning Reply with quote

DigiMatrix wrote:
Well, I finally made some progress tonight, 3 hours of soldering on processors to the PCBs. Fun stuff - 64 legs each.

Hopefully I will find some more time to continue tomorrow.

What are we paying for these? I'd say we're getting a heck of a deal...
90weekender
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2021 10:50 am    Post subject: Re: WBX Emulator - real time data, onboard diagnostics and tuning Reply with quote

As mentioned...I'm an iOS user, but I found several online resources to run an Android Emulator on mu iOS devices. Some are cloud based and run in a browser. But I'd prefer an Android emulator app on my iphone/pad.

Is this an option?

I'd prefer not to purchase a device for this project.

Thanks
R
DigiMatrix
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2021 4:01 pm    Post subject: Re: WBX Emulator - real time data, onboard diagnostics and tuning Reply with quote

90weekender wrote:
As mentioned...I'm an iOS user, but I found several online resources to run an Android Emulator on mu iOS devices. Some are cloud based and run in a browser. But I'd prefer an Android emulator app on my iphone/pad.

Is this an option?

I'd prefer not to purchase a device for this project.

Thanks
R

I personally have no idea with IOS - don't use it and never will. All I can suggest doing is going to the ALDLdroid site and asking there if something has been done with IOS. The only ALDLdroid support I am going to offer is how to use the TunerPro adx definition file that I will be providing. I will give a few tips I have learned by using ALDLdroid as well as what what each parameter does. It is really pretty self explanatory once you start using it.
90weekender
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2021 12:55 pm    Post subject: Re: WBX Emulator - real time data, onboard diagnostics and tuning Reply with quote

Thanks...I've emailed ALDLdroid and here's the response to my question: "is there an Android emulation app I can use on my iOS device?"

"Unfortunately, none that I know 🙁 USB isn't accessible to developer on iOS and Bluetooth classic is not supported, only LTE which the app doesn't support.

I might develop an iOS version of the app at some point but it would be a while for sure."
DigiMatrix
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2021 1:24 pm    Post subject: Re: WBX Emulator - real time data, onboard diagnostics and tuning Reply with quote

90weekender wrote:
Thanks...I've emailed ALDLdroid and here's the response to my question: "is there an Android emulation app I can use on my iOS device?"

"Unfortunately, none that I know 🙁 USB isn't accessible to developer on iOS and Bluetooth classic is not supported, only LTE which the app doesn't support.

I might develop an iOS version of the app at some point but it would be a while for sure."

Sorry I should have mentioned that the emulator is currently using a Classic Bluetooth module and not a LTE version although it is possible. The reason people don't develop iOS software for tools like this Emulator is because Apple charges a $99/year developer fee and 15% commission on sales. This might seem cheap, but think about it, is it worth doing if you are selling limited numbers and trying to keep the cost down? Even adding a LTE version of Bluetooth module causes re-work to the PCB and code changes.
cdr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2021 3:46 am    Post subject: Re: WBX Emulator - real time data, onboard diagnostics and tuning Reply with quote

Greetings from Germany -. I'd love to have one, too. Hopefully you start a new batch. i could also help with distribution here, if needed.

Very good job!
blackglasspirate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2021 4:47 pm    Post subject: Re: WBX Emulator - real time data, onboard diagnostics and tuning Reply with quote

This is a great idea - thanks for putting the time and thought into it. I know I'm late for the first batch, but I'd like to be on the list for future runs.
DigiMatrix
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2021 10:21 am    Post subject: Re: WBX Emulator - real time data, onboard diagnostics and tuning Reply with quote

Update: I now have 7 completely built and am 80% through testing on them. Takes some time because I load all 3 banks, bench test and then test on my van, and do a 24 hour burn in test with data being sent out. Don't want puchasers to have any issues.

Last edited by DigiMatrix on Sun Jul 11, 2021 11:00 am; edited 1 time in total
Aryana
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2021 10:47 am    Post subject: Re: WBX Emulator - real time data, onboard diagnostics and tuning Reply with quote

That's fantastic. Thank you!
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2021 12:18 pm    Post subject: Re: WBX Emulator - real time data, onboard diagnostics and tuning Reply with quote

DigiMatrix wrote:
Update: I now have 7 completely built and am 80% through testing on them. Takes some time because I load all 3 banks, bench test and then test on my van, and do a 24 hour burn in test with data being sent out. Don't want puchasers to have any issues.

Thank you for making all this effort. There should be a Samba medal in it for you!

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2021 1:04 pm    Post subject: Re: WBX Emulator - real time data, onboard diagnostics and tuning Reply with quote

DigiMatrix wrote:
Teaser screen shot of real life data from today coming home from camping - GPS speed is in km/hr

ECT = Engine coolant temperature
IAT = Intake air temperature
IDC = Injector duty cycle
Do people prefer AFM (air flow meter) or AFS (air flow sensor) for the label?

Edit: and do people want deg F for ECT and IAT? I guess I can include both and people can choose what they want when they set up ALDLdroid.

How is the timing determined without a crankshaft position sensor?

i'd vote for AFM because of so many references to AFMs in the archives.

this entire project is so cool!

'87 Westy & '89 Westy both 2.1 4spd

Past projects can be found at--
www.thefixitworkshop.com
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 29, 30, 31  Next
Jump to:
Page 5 of 31

Jump to: