Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Will you convert your vw to electric under 10K???
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
neilchouker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2021 8:52 am    Post subject: Will you convert your vw to electric under 10K??? Reply with quote

Hello everyone
I heard california is going to be all electric vehicles in 2035
I wanted to get as much support and feedback as possible
anybody out there interested in a plug and play system that gets you 100 miles safe and top speed 100mhp 8 hours charging system
easy conversion,universal tesla tech .easy to install how many are willing to switch?
This is going to be a game changer to the vw community'
right now I have seen 18k-52k its crazy and expensive but now there is an option and its going thru development and testing
would love to see your ideas and support on this topic
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2021 9:37 am    Post subject: Re: Will you convert your vw to electric under 10K??? Reply with quote

100 miles is nowhere near good enough. 200 is about what I get from a tank, but instead of an 8 hour charge, I take a 15 minute gas stop.

$10K? For what?

Cheaper to vote out the clowns that try to make my perfectly legal car illegal.
AirHead1966
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2021 9:59 am    Post subject: Re: Will you convert your vw to electric under 10K??? Reply with quote

neilchouker wrote:
Hello everyone
I wanted to get as much support and feedback as possible
anybody out there interested in a plug and play system that gets you 100 miles safe and top speed 100mhp 8 hours charging system
easy conversion,universal tesla tech .easy to install how many are willing to switch?
right now I have seen 18k-52k its crazy and expensive but now there is an option and its going thru development and testing

I would be very interested. Having said that, I should point out that the reason in your pitch for conversion is not accurate. Any new regulation will not apply to old cars and there will be a ton of exceptions. Your old classic cars will be fine as they are. Also just "hearing" about something is not a reason to take drastic measures.

Nonetheless, I would buy the conversion kit at that price. I would even convert few of non-VW classic cars for that price,.
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2021 10:00 am    Post subject: Re: Will you convert your vw to electric under 10K??? Reply with quote

nothing like a Katy Texas person to want to talk about California and still get it wrong

no NEW gasoline vehicles after 2035 am I right?
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2021 10:22 am    Post subject: Re: Will you convert your vw to electric under 10K??? Reply with quote

Looks like he just doesn't like VW engines!
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9376198

(just kidding!)
olspeed
Samba Member

Location: In the shadow of Denali, I still don't give a damn how they do it outside

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2021 10:24 am    Post subject: Re: Will you convert your vw to electric under 10K??? Reply with quote

Once again no infrastructure... it's 80 miles from my front door to the next large town and the only plug-in would be at a friends house if he would agree to let me use it, and yes I know he would but I am sure that it would get old fast. Then what happens in the fall when it's colder but still drivable with my classic car... up here that can mean it's below 32'f. Just how much battery it it going to take to keep you warm. Right now you do see Tesla's and even Volt's on the road but only in the big towns where they can keep them charged at home and you Never see them out in below 0'f weather, our road systems don't even have electricity running completely along it as some of the stations have their own generators(gas or diesel) to keep the lights and pumps on.
Patiently Impatient
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2021 10:45 am    Post subject: Re: Will you convert your vw to electric under 10K??? Reply with quote

neilchouker wrote:
Hello Everyone

Hi
Quote:

No, they will not be all electric in 2035.
Quote:
in a plug and play system

It's not exactly plug and play, a significant amount of stuff needs to be done.
Quote:
gets you 100 miles safe

100 miles is not a great range, at all.
Quote:
top speed 100mhp

100mph in a vw bus requires a LOT of work to be done safely, not just a drivetrain swap
Quote:
8 hours charging system

LOL who wants to deal with this after a 100 mile trip?
Quote:
easy conversion,universal tesla tech .easy to install

Not easy conversion, easy to install maybe if you're the shop owner charging for it.
Quote:
how many are willing to switch?

Not as many as you probably think
Quote:

No it will not
Quote:

See above
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2021 11:06 am    Post subject: Re: Will you convert your vw to electric under 10K??? Reply with quote

essentially ditto this..

Patiently Impatient wrote:
neilchouker wrote:
Hello Everyone

Hi
Quote:

No, they will not be all electric in 2035.
Quote:
in a plug and play system

It's not exactly plug and play, a significant amount of stuff needs to be done.
Quote:
gets you 100 miles safe

100 miles is not a great range, at all.
Quote:
top speed 100mhp

100mph in a vw bus requires a LOT of work to be done safely, not just a drivetrain swap
Quote:
8 hours charging system

LOL who wants to deal with this after a 100 mile trip?
Quote:
easy conversion,universal tesla tech .easy to install

Not easy conversion, easy to install maybe if you're the shop owner charging for it.
Quote:
how many are willing to switch?

Not as many as you probably think
Quote:

No it will not
Quote:

See above

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2021 11:34 am    Post subject: Re: Will you convert your vw to electric under 10K??? Reply with quote

250 mile range minimum. And no way it can be done for $10K unless the parts are free. Just the batteries are $10K right now, and that is after buying them in quantity directly from China.

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle

Last edited by Q-Dog on Thu May 20, 2021 11:38 am; edited 1 time in total
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2021 11:37 am    Post subject: Re: Will you convert your vw to electric under 10K??? Reply with quote

Erik G wrote:
nothing like a Katy Texas person to want to talk about California and still get it wrong

no NEW gasoline vehicles after 2035 am I right?

Thank you, Erik.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2021 12:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Will you convert your vw to electric under 10K??? Reply with quote

Reality check:
Anything done now is a waste of time.

I GUARANTEE things will be completely different in 2035, that's 14 years from now.

I'd be surprised if we even had the same battery systems.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2021 12:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Will you convert your vw to electric under 10K??? Reply with quote

NO.

250 mile rang minimum.
1 hr charge time maximum.
There is no reason to drive 100 MPH.
Under $2500 maybe. $10K hell no.
Featured in Dec. 2001 HOT VW's Magazine page 63

Watch my racing video's http://www.youtube.com/user/okvwracer/videos
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2021 1:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Will you convert your vw to electric under 10K??? Reply with quote

The reason I like my car is because it has almost nothing electrical except for lights, and a spark generator.

Grease and metal.
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2021 4:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Will you convert your vw to electric under 10K??? Reply with quote

I've done 3 electric VW conversions. All with DC motor. The first was old school lead acid powered (Optima batteries) and had a 20 mile range. This was back in 1999. The second was a golf cart battery powered VW Caddy, lowered and decked out in Rabbit GTI trim. Slow as the diesel version, but a 60 mile range. The last was a Lithium powered Mini-T buggy. Hard to hide batteries in a buggy, but light and nimble for 35 miles. 200 lb of battery and about 1200 lb total.

Modern batteries can give a more range while being purchased for wrecking yard prices. Still, the Bug body is all curves and not a great place to hide rectangular batteries. I think you will be doing good if you can get reliably over 100 mile range. That is actually enough for many people. My other car is a 2004 Tacoma pickup I bought new. It still has just shy of 64 thousand miles on it when I got home from work today.
67 Florida Deluxe
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2021 5:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Will you convert your vw to electric under 10K??? Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
Reality check:

I GUARANTEE things will be completely different in 2035, that's 14 years from now.

100% agree!

And if someone even offered to convert any of my cars to electric for FREE, I'd pass.

OG member of the '67 Posse

A few of my toys, past and present
'56 Oval, '66 KG Conv't, '67 21-Window, '67 Bug, '79 SuperVert, '55 Pre-A Continental
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2021 5:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Will you convert your vw to electric under 10K??? Reply with quote

67 Florida Deluxe wrote:
EverettB wrote:
Reality check:

100% agree!

And if someone even offered to convert any of my cars to electric for FREE, I'd pass.

And FWIW I would consider it for my Bus if I can drive it like a normal car and to long-distance events without large delays for recharging stops

Not for $10K but I'm not concerned about that either, prices will drop like all technologies do.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cbeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2021 5:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Will you convert your vw to electric under 10K??? Reply with quote

Already rolling blackouts. Now everybody will want to do a quick charge. Grid won't handle it. Any benifits to electric cars will by wiped out by upgrading the grid.
Engineer/Architect famous last words, what do you mean that won't work?
67 Florida Deluxe
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2021 5:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Will you convert your vw to electric under 10K??? Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:

And FWIW I would consider it for my Bus if I can drive it like a normal car and to long-distance events without large delays for recharging stops

Like the new Tesla Model S Plaid? 0-60 in a bus in 1.99 seconds. THAT would be interesting Very Happy

OG member of the '67 Posse

A few of my toys, past and present
'56 Oval, '66 KG Conv't, '67 21-Window, '67 Bug, '79 SuperVert, '55 Pre-A Continental
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2021 6:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Will you convert your vw to electric under 10K??? Reply with quote

cbeck wrote:
Already rolling blackouts. Now everybody will want to do a quick charge. Grid won't handle it. Any benifits to electric cars will by wiped out by upgrading the grid.

When you get to 300 mile range, you’ve hit the mark for the average weekly commuter, a large market. They can drive to work, school, errands and charge once per week at night on off peak rates.

Not only can the grid handle it, it is easily adapted to it.
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2021 7:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Will you convert your vw to electric under 10K??? Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
cbeck wrote:

When you get to 300 mile range, you’ve hit the mark for the average weekly commuter, a large market. They can drive to work, school, errands and charge once per week at night on off peak rates.

Not only can the grid handle it, it is easily adapted to it.

Ok check this out. You can go 300 miles and tow up to 10,000 pounds. https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a36433090/2022-ford-f-150-lightning-specs-revealed/
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: