Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

front heater cable
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jeff Hauck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2021 5:06 am    Post subject: front heater cable Reply with quote

I was wanting to know if anyone can tell me how the front heater cable attaches to the heater lever and where it is routed to the front flap
Semper_Dad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2021 1:59 pm    Post subject: Re: front heater cable Reply with quote

Are we talking about a 73 with Eberspacher or a 74 with Beetle heat?
Jeff Hauck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2021 5:25 pm    Post subject: Re: front heater cable Reply with quote

Sorry I have the 1974 with the beetle heat system. There was a front cable listed and I found no diagram of how it is connected to the flap inside the plastic piece that sits on the top of the tunnel.
Thanks
Semper_Dad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2021 7:20 pm    Post subject: Re: front heater cable Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

If I remember correctly, the cable (Item 8 in diagram)connects to the driver's side heater lever by the wig wag end. It exits through a tube just aft of the forward bulkhead. It is connected to the plenum's flapper using connector N0477410 which is actually a modified electrical terminal connector.

Front cable 181711791

Connector - This is the rear one, but front should be the same

Making part N0477410 Modified European electrical terminal

Slip the flapper cable and control cable through both ends and tighten
Jeff Hauck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2021 10:15 am    Post subject: Re: front heater cable Reply with quote

Thank you for the followup.
Semper_Dad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2021 12:36 pm    Post subject: Re: front heater cable Reply with quote

Decided to follow up on my answer. My car is still in the body shop so I was primarily going on memory. I do remember a clamp on the end of the cable being there but I my have put it there to keep from losing the cable into the tube. I decided to take a look at my plenum (which I still have) and and discovered the following.

It appears the bent end of the front heater cable simply hooks on to the bail of the defrost flapper. No connector is really needed. I suppose you could put one on for a "belt and suspenders" sake. Certainly wouldn't hurt.

Jeff Hauck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2023 5:40 pm    Post subject: Re: front heater cable Reply with quote

I wanted to know if anyone has photos of how the front heater cable is routed iin a 1974 thing.
Jeff Hauck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2024 11:49 pm    Post subject: Re: front heater cable Reply with quote

Help needed. I have a 1974 Thing and am trying to see where the heater cable that goes to the front flapper is routed there. I know it connects to the one heater lever next to the emergency brake handle, but I can't seem to figure out where it is routed to the front flap. Thank you in advance.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: